New UNT Commit

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Cole brown has very nice tape

Too bad nobody else thinks so. I mean don't get me wrong I'm sure they're good evaluators of talent. But offering kids with no other FBS offers is McCarney level recruiting and we all know where that got us. It's getting a bit tiring to be honest

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

50 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Too bad nobody else thinks so. I mean don't get me wrong I'm sure they're good evaluators of talent. But offering kids with no other FBS offers is McCarney level recruiting and we all know where that got us. It's getting a bit tiring to be honest

I prefer to see how a couple of recruiting classes fare before making judgement. 

• Upvote 4

It's hard to believe that it would be Syptak.  He has an offer from every Ivy League school except Harvard.  He also holds an offer from Rice.  This is one smart dude.  Not that we are terrible but we can't match top notch academia.  It sure would be nice though.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

It's 6 months till signing day.. offensive lineman is a tough position to recruit. To be successful you have to be able to evaluate and develop. Since we have just seen one class of Seth play yet I will wait and hold my judgement. When coach Patterson was getting started at TCU he would recruit small school tight ends and move them to o line. I am not saying Seth is perfect or he is greatest coach ever. But for respect of recruit give kid a chance. If Seth and co like him then I trust there judgement. And when I see Seth compared to Mac I think that is completely false. Seth and company are turning over every rock and finding kids THEY want and believe fit their system. Unlike Dan and company who would just sit back and get whatever came there way. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I haven't seen anything on Brown. Do you have a link?

He doesn't seem to have a social media account  or 24/7 profile , but we offered a few weeks ago. He also picked up a McNeese St offer last week 

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5327213/cole-brown

I have  no info if it's him or not , just a guess on my part 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

How is it that if a kid commits for Oklahoma, Alabama, or Texas in May, they know who it is, but with us, it's like some sort of secret?

Because the recruiting services pay the staff.  Also, those kids are usually jumping up and down to tell everyone they are signing with OU, Bama, or UT.  

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Hey look, we beat out Northwestern Oklahoma and McNeese St for a recruit!

Where have I heard that before?

54bafd56a5e1e_dan_mccarney.jpg

What I kindof wonder about is if we happen to have a 7+ win year and win a bowl, what's going to happen when more highly-regarded OL are interested in committing, but can't because we have a smaller scholarship allotment due to McCarney 'shipping walk-ons, Littrell grayshirting 1/4 a class, and less-regarded recruits are already committed?

We gonna Lutz 'em and say we're no longer going to be using a OT, and ask him to move to DT or find another place to play?

Dear Lord, please let Gage stay committed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What I kindof wonder about is if we happen to have a 7+ win year and win a bowl, what's going to happen when more highly-regarded OL are interested in committing, but can't because we have a smaller scholarship allotment due to McCarney 'shipping walk-ons, Littrell grayshirting 1/4 a class, and less-regarded recruits are already committed?

We gonna Lutz 'em and say we're no longer going to be using a OT, and ask him to move to DT or find another place to play?

Dear Lord, please let Gage stay committed.

The way I see it, if Gage goes elsewhere, we'll pick up a WR from Po-Dunk, Oklahoma that magically nobody has ever heard of other than South By NorthEast New York PolyTech State and will propel us to heights we could only dream of!

Stealth recruiting is what gets you wins. Not winning recruiting battles

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

I think one of the areas not being discussed enough is the timing of these commitments. I agree, that at the end of the recruiting single-offer kids looks bad. I think that these offers are early and intentional. The coaches aren't filling a hole last minute, these are offers they put out well in advance. Obviously, these kids might get more offers, and the coaches don't care regardless. They are getting early commitments, and they are getting kids they wanted enough to offer them. Shouldn't be worried about single offer early commits, should be looking at single offer kids with late offers should be met with more skepticism. These kids still have a whole season of football to play.

• Upvote 5