MGB: UNT, SMU extend football series

Brett Vito

24 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So, you propose we don't continue to play SMU?  If so, why?

I propose only keeping this series if you can schedule a P5 team at home before 2027.

This is a one way series. UTEP and La Tech bring more fans to Apogee than SMU. Meanwhile, UNT is filling SMU coffers every other year because fans with zero aspirations to be better see this as UNT's Super Bowl. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I propose only keeping this series if you can schedule a FBS team at home before 2027.

This is a one way series. UTEP and La Tech bring more fans to Apogee than SMU. Meanwhile, UNT is filling SMU coffers every other year because fans with zero aspirations to be better see this as UNT's Super Bowl. 

I had to unblock to see this answer. I'm going to assume the "can" in the first sentence should have been "can't." 

A good friend who's a donor to TCU tells me their program really started to grow in attendance when they stopped worrying about who brings more of their fans. The fans brought by a visiting team are negligible to the home team fans who come to games. TCU built their program by teaching their fans to come no matter who TCU happens to play that week. The fans come to see TCU and don't care who the opponent is. Those are the fans who buy one program at the start of the year and laminate the TCU player page. They don't care who the other team is! 

It simply doesn't matter that NT fans go in droves to Ford Stadium as long as they show up when the games are at Appogee, And playing SMU has historically draw a lot of NT fans to Denton. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I had to unblock to see this answer. I'm going to assume the "can" in the first sentence should have been "can't." 

A good friend who's a donor to TCU tells me their program really started to grow in attendance when they stopped worrying about who brings more of their fans. The fans brought by a visiting team are negligible to the home team fans who come to games. TCU built their program by teaching their fans to come no matter who TCU happens to play that week. The fans come to see TCU and don't care who the opponent is. Those are the fans who buy one program at the start of the year and laminate the TCU player page. They don't care who the other team is! 

It simply doesn't matter that NT fans go in droves to Ford Stadium as long as they show up when the games are at Appogee, And playing SMU has historically draw a lot of NT fans to Denton. 

Apparently you haven't. Went to a TCU game when they play a FCS. Here is a hint: no one shows up.

And I meant P5 team. I change the post. Wren Baker has done nothing to fix a terrible OOC schedule. This was the easy way out that makes the simpleton fans in the base happy. Unfortunately,it's the same ole RV scheduling that many have bitched about for years.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Apparently you haven't. Went to a TCU game when they play a FCS. Here is a hint: no one shows up.

And I meant P5 team. I change the post. Wren Baker has done nothing to fix a terrible OOC schedule. This was the easy way out that makes the simpleton fans in the base happy. Unfortunately,it's the same ole RV scheduling that many have bitched about for years.

Texas Tech is all I'm going to say.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

32 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

"T"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I propose only keeping this series if you can schedule a P5 team at home before 2027.

B.S.  Fans understand that this is a natural rivalry between schools that are 30 miles apart and it should be played every year.  Since you are now jumping on the Frog bandwagon, I would suggest you get used to playing SMU every year for the all important cast iron skillet.

53 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

2016: TCU vs. South Dakota State  attendance 43,450

2015: TCU vs. SFA  attendance 45,786

Not sure what your definition of "no one shows up" is.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

51 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

The TCU games where "no one shows up" are now far better attended than before because the TCU athletic department has worked hard at getting people to ignore the opponent and focus on TCU. It's a proven successful strategy and one we should follow. And it appears we are doing that.

Yes, it does make the vast majority of the fan base happy. Keeping the majority of the fan base happy is going to increase overall attendance and total donations. There are always going to be a few whom are impossible to satisfy but this strategy has shown if will give a program net growth. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

B.S.  Fans understand that this is a natural rivalry between schools that are 30 miles apart and it should be played every year.  Since you are now jumping on the Frog bandwagon, I would suggest you get used to playing SMU every year for the all important cast iron skillet.

Some people make stuff up and pull data directly from their unhappy keaster. When presented with facts, they attack. Just watch.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Texas Tech is all I'm going to say.

Lol. In 10 years. That isn't fixing anything. That game was fit to an opening in the schedule. Baker was bought here to fix things, one being the schedule. He hasn't. 

The funny thing is you were the same guy who said that series with Tech could never be scheduled because in state P5s would NEVER play at Apogee.This was back when you were defending the lady AD, remember? 

So congrats for being wrong. Twice. 

55 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Lol. And you probably believe SMU is bringing in 23k a game and that UNT is actually averaging over 2l at the Pit this season, 

Talk to actual TCU season ticket holders about this. Many don't attend those games, and the one I know that did said there was maybe 23k in the stadium.

And get it right. The Frog basketball bandwagon. UNT hasn't completely killed my football loyalty, but they are real damn close.

its funny that the same 6 RV butt buddies are the ones constantly attacking. Lol.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Lol. In 10 years. That isn't fixing anything. That game was fit to an opening in the schedule. Baker was bought here to fix things, one being the schedule. He hasn't. 

The funny thing is you were the same guy who said that series with Tech could never be scheduled because in state P5s would NEVER play at Apogee.This was back when you were defending the lady AD, remember? 

I never said we shouldn't schedule teams like Texas Tech for home-and-home series; I have been strongly against scheduling P5 for 2-for-1 and 3-for 1 series.

I love how you put down something that you have been clamoring for though, which is getting a P5 school to Apogee, but whatever.

tumblr_no9d35J0qA1rv5j9yo1_500.gif

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Lol. And you probably believe SMU is bringing in 23k a game and that UNT is actually averaging over 2l at the Pit this season, 

Talk to actual TCU season ticket holders about this. Many don't attend those games, and the one I know that did said there was maybe 23k in the stadium.

And get it right. The Frog basketball bandwagon. UNT hasn't completely killed my football loyalty, but they are real damn close.

What can us fans do to put in the final dagger to kill off your remaining loyalty to UNT football so you will completely go away for good? I will buy and fly a banner if that's what it takes!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I never said we shouldn't schedule teams like Texas Tech for home-and-home series; I have been strongly against scheduling scheduling P5 for 2-for-1 and 3-for 1 series.

I love how you put down something that you have been clamoring for though, which is getting a P5 school to Apogee, but whatever.

tumblr_no9d35J0qA1rv5j9yo1_500.gif

You said a one for one couldn't be done on multiple occasions. Not surprised you won't admit it, though.

Just now, GreenMachine said:

What can us fans do to put in the final dagger to kill off your remaining loyalty to UNT football so you will completely go away for good? I will buy and fly a banner if that's what it takes!!

Of course you would for your good personal friend RV, now wouldn't you? Lol. 

Dont worry, I'll probably be gone, if not this year then next. Typical of the suck up group to want to run off fans. Think like them or leave. Lol. Have a good time losing. Wait, you already do.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

You said a one for one couldn't be done on multiple occasions. Not surprised you won't admit it, though.

I'll admit that I was shocked when it happened and thankful it was a home-and-home. We should only be scheduling home-and-home series with all teams we face that are FBS unless we're going to pay for a game to only be played in Apogee.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'll admit that I was shocked when it happened and thankful it was a home-and-home. We should only be scheduling home-and-home series with all teams we face that are FBS unless we're going to pay for a game to only be played in Apogee.

I think you are shocked when UNT does anything that every other major university in this state does. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8