'17 Evan Johnson RB (Loranger, LA) [LOI: NT]

Harry

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

Not quite so deep on those kneebends, my friend.

Depth isn't the issue, it is how far forward his knees are in the down position.  You don't want your knees extending beyond your toes.  

14 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

yeah, dangerously close to arching the back too much.

Hard to tell on his back, but I would guess he may be rounding his back and not keeping it straight enough.  Didn't see him really arching his back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I've been out of high school for awhile now. Can somebody tell me why you would do a front squat as opposed to a traditional squat?

Traditional Squat: places more of the load on the back/posterior half of the lower body, hamstrings and glutes.  The weight is loaded directly down the spine so this places compressive forces on the vertebrae forcing the core to do more work to protect the lower back.

Front Squat: places more of the load on the front/anterior half of the lower body.  With the weight resting on the shoulders as opposed to the top of the back, the body is pulled forward and knee flexion is increased thus allowing for a deeper squat.  This places more of an emphasis on the quads.  This squat also engages the core to keep the lower back straight.  This is the more challenging of the two lifts.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Traditional Squat: places more of the load on the back/posterior half of the lower body, hamstrings and glutes.  The weight is loaded directly down the spine so this places compressive forces on the vertebrae forcing the core to do more work to protect the lower back.

Front Squat: places more of the load on the front/anterior half of the lower body.  With the weight resting on the shoulders as opposed to the top of the back, the body is pulled forward and knee flexion is increased thus allowing for a deeper squat.  This places more of an emphasis on the quads.  This squat also engages the core to keep the lower back straight.  This is the more challenging of the two lifts.

Much appreciated 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Much appreciated 

You are welcome.  It's my business and that video highlights a pet peeve of mine.  Too many high school kids are not taught to lift properly.  They are told to get stronger and off they go led by their ego.  They should teach technique first and once mastered, then start adding weight, but telling this to a 16 to 18 year old is like talking to a stump.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

So for squats: Do you recommend a shoe like the AdiPower, or something like the boot flip flops in your avatar?  

If you are a serious lifter, investing in a good lifting shoe is recommended.  Everyone knows the boot flip flop is beach or "Sunday go to meetin'" apparel.

• Upvote 1