Does everyone expect Mason Fine to start at HOD ?

greenjoe

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Willie is a scat back/3rd down back. That alone drops him down a notch from Wilson. Good player though. He filled in nicely during the Southern Miss win. 

He also averaged 7.5 per carry at UTEP. He is only a "scat back/3rd down back" because that is all the coaches let him be. Just like the Cowboys and North Texas' all-time leading rusher.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Live arm?  I think back to the opening drive for a touchdown against MUTS.   Didn't Fine complete about 6 or 7 in a row against one of the better teams in CUSA?  

I think back to Darrell Royal's UT QB's & how none of his were ever drafted by the NFL to play on Sunday, but they were good, functioning college quarterbacks who were (as I see Mason Fine ) effective field generals managing a well balanced offensive game plan.  DKR won 2 national championships with QB's the NFL never considered.   Here is some of the MUTS game and its opening drive for a TD as led by Mason Fine.   

GMG!

2 of those throws were special, the Thad Dig route he hit, and Goree on the very deep out I referred to.  Fine did hold onto it a bit too long, probably half Goree and half him not trusting receiver coming out of break. 

1 hour ago, dd992emo said:

Anyone who says they know we would have won 5 games without Fine is wrong. You know no such thing. The point is we won 5 games with Fine. Playing "if such and such had happened, this would have happened" is just psychological whacking off. This coaching staff with this QB won 5 times the game won last year. I'm not saying you have to be satisfied, just truthful.

Oh, yes...and it's "would have", not "would of". 

Signed, The Grammar Police

No the argument is that Wilson carried this team. The six mediocre touchdown passes....well you can enjoy that but it didn't get us 5 wins. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

Anyone who says they know we would have won 5 games without Fine is wrong. You know no such thing. The point is we won 5 games with Fine. Playing "if such and such had happened, this would have happened" is just psychological whacking off. This coaching staff with this QB won 5 times the game won last year. I'm not saying you have to be satisfied, just truthful.

Give Fine a banged up Wilson in any of those 4 wins, we lose all but 1 (Bethune). That's an opinion being as close to fact as it gets. Fine MUST improve or Pearson/Isladore has to be better. If not, we'll be scratching and clawing to bowl eligibility in 2017, even with what will be an easier schedule. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Is that so? I mean, Fine was on the team when the fifth win occurred, but I don't recall him having much to do with it...

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

who is that to the right of Morris? (morris' left in the photo)

Looks like Jared Mosley...new AD COO.  Came from ACU (Abilene Christian)  where he was once AD, and also played BB at ACU.

15 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Give Fine a banged up Wilson in any of those 4 wins, we lose all but 1 (Bethune). That's an opinion being as close to fact as it gets. Fine MUST improve or Pearson/Isladore has to be better. If not, we'll be scratching and clawing to bowl eligibility in 2017, even with what will be an easier schedule. 

I wish you could get a college coaching job... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I wish you could get a college coaching job... 

Alright? 

You must've meant this as a dig. Again, let's attack the issues at hand. Not each other. Stating Fine needs to improve and Wilson carried his ass to the finish line (in our wins) allows me to receive this little comment of yours. This fan base and athletic department cannot afford to ever again shell up. Pertinent issues need to be talked about. Ad nauseam if that's what it takes to turn this thing around. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Alright? 

You must've meant this as a dig. Again, let's attack the issues at hand. Not each other. Stating Fine needs to improve and Wilson carried his ass to the finish line (in our wins) allows me to receive this little comment of yours. This fan base and athletic department cannot afford to ever again shell up. Pertinent issues need to be talked about. Ad nauseam if that's what it takes to turn this thing around. 

Wholeheartedly agree. Fine did have some moments but the Defense/Run Game bailed him out a lot and that's the reality of this season. Pearson and Isadore are both very talented and having them here will ramp up the competition and make everyone better. 

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Alright? 

Agree 100% Some things are hard to admit in this world. 

• Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

I, for one, think Mason will show major improvement next year. The kid is a smart competitor and works as hard, if not harder, than any of the other players. I'm doubling down on Fine.

*He's also my adopted player

I will make a bet against you...easy bread for me

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7