For the 2 percenters

Harry

Great opportunity to improve on our all-time series record with Army which they lead 4-1.  When we played in October, we were something like 19.5 point dogs. It will be interesting to see what Vegas thinks about the rematch and how much, if anything, has changed since October.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

So for the players on the team that were there for the 2013 season, are they excited about returning to the HoD Bowl or do they wish they were going someplace different?  Question, no info.

Truthfully, they are probably just happy to be going to a bowl at all and don't care that it's a return performance for them.

Hey, yall went to this bowl once before, and yall were 1-11 last year.  You mad about going back?  I doubt it they're happy to be there guaranteed! 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Also, I never said conference championships were meaningless.

You said a rematch wasn't worth taking off of work to go watch. What if the rematch was in the CUSA title game?

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Texas State isn't playing a bowl game. They finished 2-10.

That was my point. You are complaining about playing Army again in our bowl game. We could be in Texas State's shoes (like we were last year) and not have that problem. You know, wrinkled $100 bill.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

? Ditto, SE!

Just Scatter-shootin' From the Hip:

✳️ For all practical purposes, the HOD Bowl Game Day will be the official beginning of the last 2 months of Coach Littrell & his staff's recruiting season with signing date in February.  

✳️ Undoubtedly, we will have more area & state-wide recruits with pedigree at this one game we probably couldn't have even said hello to before this invite today.  What kind of 1'st impression they get with our entire presentation (& attendance) will cause some of them to take a 2'nd look at North Texas.  

✳️ Like Harry insinuated the $75 or $50 is not that much since few of us will be in a 4 star hotel & going out for 3 meals a day as many traveling college football fans traditionally do every bowl season. 

✳️ La Tech will have a field day with all of us if they sell more tickets to the Armed Services Bowl. They have a 4:30 pm kick so many of their fans will take a hotel for a night & do some tourist time at Billy Bobs & Stockyards Station. That will all be much more than $75 or $50.

GMG!

Don't forget Bowl Game Practice invites to recruits as well.  Shrugs drops Mic... Picks Mic back up But Bowling at 5-7 is a joke and everyone who does it is an idiot and part of the participation trophy society.  Give me a break.  The previous years student athletes worked their tails off in the classroom.  These guys did the same and got bowl eligible.  Is this the record Littrell and Co. want to have? Hell no, but you have to start somewhere and that is pretty impressive to me that we are bowling.  Some people only see short term though PLUM.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

23 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You said a rematch wasn't worth taking off of work to go watch. What if the rematch was in the CUSA title game?

That was my point. You are complaining about playing Army again in our bowl game. We could be in Texas State's shoes (like we were last year) and not have that problem. You know, wrinkled $100 bill.

Completely different. Chances are, a rematch will occur in a C-USA title game. Part of the goal of a bowl game is to match teams up with opponents they wouldn't normally play. You're going to see a rematch of a previous game at some point, that's inevitable, but you shouldn't see a rematch of a game that occurred earlier in the year barring national championship or conference championship implications. Now don't keep twisting words to satisfy your low expectations of what a UNT bowl game should look like.

Me "complaining" doesn't show that I would be unhappy no matter who the opponent was. You know, wrinkled $100 bill. It shows that most of this fan base is so deprived they would accept anything. Instead of showing bowl committees we will bring large amounts of fans to games, we are showing bowl committees that as long as we play our bowl game in DFW, we'll be happy regardless of the opponent and bring large amounts of fans. We aren't showing we travel well, we're showing we'll "travel" to Dallas where most of our fans live even though they won't "travel" 30 to 40 miles to Denton on Saturdays. We're showing you don't need to work hard to give UNT a meaningful opponent, just put us in Dallas and give us a lollipop so we can happily skip down to Fair Park and cheer on our team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

14 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

No when you count parking or use DART. (Dart cost minimal but when you car is broken into like it was for the SMU game when I used it last year...)  And $50 seats are end zone  seat in stadium that pales in comparison to Apogee.  I find it ironic that people piss all over the idea of having a meaningful annual rivalry game in the Cotton Bowl in season during the State Fair think a "bowl" game there in bad weather with nothing going on in Fair Park is awesome.  Also to duplicate the view I purchase for Apogee home games the cost for this game is more than double $35 Apogee Sideline - $75 HoD Bowl Sideline.

For the Cotton Bowl at at&t stadium, the same seats are $100 or more. Parking also starts at $50.

5 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

For the Cotton Bowl at at&t stadium, the same seats are $100 or more. Parking also starts at $50.

Tickets at the Cotton Bowl at at&t stadium also start at $6 on StubHub. https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/cotton-bowl-wisconsin-western-michigan-tickets-price shows they were as low as $11 16 hours ago. You can get a parking pass on StubHub for that game starting at $6. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

Tickets at the Cotton Bowl at at&t stadium also start at $6 on StubHub. https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/cotton-bowl-wisconsin-western-michigan-tickets-price shows they were as low as $11 16 hours ago. You can get a parking pass on StubHub for that game starting at $6. 

If you don't mind sitting up in 400 section in the end-zones, yeah, there are tickets available. If you want sideline seats, tickets are $100+/seat. That $6 parking is also several blocks away from the stadium.

8 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

If you don't mind sitting up in 400 section in the end-zones, yeah, there are tickets available. If you want sideline seats, tickets are $100+/seat. That $6 parking is also several blocks away from the stadium.

This is true. Some fans are ok with it, some fans aren't. For the casual fan though, there shouldn't be a financial comparison in spending $10 to sit at AT&T stadium to watch the Cotton Bowl classic and spending $50 or $75 watch UNT play Army regardless of where you're sitting. 

Edit: poorly phrased sentence, I know. At work and shouldn't even be on here.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Completely different. Chances are, a rematch will occur in a C-USA title game. Part of the goal of a bowl game is to match teams up with opponents they wouldn't normally play. You're going to see a rematch of a previous game at some point, that's inevitable, but you shouldn't see a rematch of a game that occurred earlier in the year barring national championship or conference championship implications. Now don't keep twisting words to satisfy your low expectations of what a UNT bowl game should look like.

Me "complaining" doesn't show that I would be unhappy no matter who the opponent was. You know, wrinkled $100 bill. It shows that most of this fan base is so deprived they would accept anything. Instead of showing bowl committees we will bring large amounts of fans to games, we are showing bowl committees that as long as we play our bowl game in DFW, we'll be happy regardless of the opponent and bring large amounts of fans. We aren't showing we travel well, we're showing we'll "travel" to Dallas where most of our fans live even though they won't "travel" 30 to 40 miles to Denton on Saturdays. We're showing you don't need to work hard to give UNT a meaningful opponent, just put us in Dallas and give us a lollipop so we can happily skip down to Fair Park and cheer on our team. 

You do know we went 5-7, right? We aren't exactly the pick of the litter this year. We are in no place to be bullying bowl committees. Had we gone 9-3, I could somewhat see your point.

30 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Most important part of any post you've put in this thread.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You do know we went 5-7, right? We aren't exactly the pick of the litter this year. We are in no place to be bullying bowl committees. Had we gone 9-3, I could somewhat see your point.

Last post because I'm tired of this. South Alabama was below us in the pecking order despite finishing 6-6 because they have multiple wins against FCS schools and are only supposed to count one. They will be playing 9-3 Air Force in Arizona. They could have just as easily sent Air Force to Dallas to play us and Army to Arizona to play South Alabama.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Last post because I'm tired of this. South Alabama was below us in the pecking order despite finishing 6-6 because they have multiple wins against FCS schools and are only supposed to count one. They will be playing 9-3 Air Force in Arizona. They could have just as easily sent Air Force to Dallas to play us and Army to Arizona to play South Alabama.

Arizona Bowl is Mountain West vs Sun Belt. You're talking about making a bowl swap.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Arizona Bowl is Mountain West vs Sun Belt. You're talking about making a bowl swap.

South Alabama qualified as a fill-in (per ABC and Fox) and there were 5 such fill-ins. There's no reason why UNT had to be matched-up against the one fill-in team they had already played. I understand Air Force and Army would have been a swap and I didn't look at that previously, there were still 5 total "fill-in" teams who were able to qualify because there weren't enough traditionally bowl eligible teams.  

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

South Alabama qualified as a fill-in (per ABC and Fox) and there were 5 such fill-ins. There's no reason why UNT had to be matched-up against the one fill-in team they had already played. I understand Air Force and Army would have been a swap and I didn't look at that previously, there were still 5 total "fill-in" teams who were able to qualify because there weren't enough traditionally bowl eligible teams.  

"Fill-ins" will first go to their conference bowls if there are still available slots. From there, fill-ins will be used to fill holes created where conferences don't have enough bowl eligible teams.  That's why we ended up with Army -- because the Big 10 didn't have enough bowl eligible teams. To have South Alabama or Air Force come to the Heart of Dallas bowl would have required a bowl team swap.

Edited by UNTFan23

10 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

"Fill-ins" will first go to their conference bowls if there are still available slots. From there, fill-ins will be used to fill holes created where conferences don't have enough bowl eligible teams.  That's why we ended up with Army -- because the Big 10 didn't have enough bowl eligible teams. To have South Alabama or Air Force come to the Heart of Dallas bowl would have required a bowl team swap.

Didn't know that but thank you for informing me. I retract my previous statement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Air Force probably would've come but just like NT, it isn't up to them.

MWC is trying to save the Arizona Bowl and needed the Air Force name.

Air Force fans taking to social media chose to focus on issues less favorable.

While not online-only, this is a game that is not available on television in every market. It will be shown in Colorado Springs/Pueblo on Altitude, and on the local Fox affiliate in Denver

But Air Force supporters wanted a more prestigious bowl and felt their record, wins over Boise State and Navy and strong finish with five straight wins justified it.

The Arizona Bowl targeted Air Force and traveled to Wyoming on Saturday to continue to lobby for the Falcons on Saturday, according to a report from the Arizona Daily Star. The game has a goal of raising money from area businesses to send 8,000 area military personnel, firefighters, police and others to the game. Having a service academy as part of the game should help those efforts.

The Mountain West was instrumental in the creation of the Arizona Bowl last year and sent two representatives to play in the first game, as San Jose State defeated Colorado State 28-23. The league has a multiyear commitment, along with the Sun Belt, to the bowl