Early Littrell Watch Worry

7 minutes ago, RushnStudies said:

It's way too early to speculate about Littrell leaving, and despite the rampant rumors and speculation, I'm not going to believe that Herman is leaving Houston until he actually leaves.

Believe it, he's leaving. He can tuck his kids in at night in their hotel room and give them all a dap and kiss on the cheek, but right when his agent puts these numbers in front of him being put out by LSU, UT, and possibly ATM he's gone. And if it's not any of those 3 the coaching carousel will churn and he might have 3 or 4 equal or slightly lesser offers from elsewhere. It's difficult to say no when the oportunity to double your salary comes knocking. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Believe it, he's leaving. He can tuck his kids in at night in their hotel room and give them all a dap and kiss on the cheek, but right when his agent puts these numbers in front of him being put out by LSU, UT, and possibly ATM he's gone. And if it's not any of those 3 the coaching carousel will churn and he might have 3 or 4 equal or slightly lesser offers from elsewhere. It's difficult to say no when the oportunity to double your salary comes knocking. 

His offense is last in CUSA, you are kidding Right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Texas Tech got buried, absolutely smashed by freaking Iowa State.  Hairgel Hands has a high buyout; but, how much can Sand Ag boosters take of 66-10 losses to Iowa State?

If we win out, going 7-6 with a bowl win, I think Littrell is targeted by either Tech, Tulsa, or both.  Possibly even Houston.

If Tech fires Hairgel Hands, TU's Philip Montgomery, who helped Briles build Houston and Baylor, is a top candidate there, I'm predicting.  Same type of offense, but without his head shoved up his backside re: defense and special teams.  

It's also likely that either Houston or Baylor make a run at Montgomery.

That leaves the Tulsa post open, a school 20 to 30 minutes away from Littrell's hometown of Muskogee.  Could totally see him making that jump, then potentially waiting for Bob Stoops to retire, then take the OU job someday.

If this is the case, let's hope we can be like Arkansas State and find another successful coach to carry on.

Along those lines, I think Todd Graham has worn out his welcome at Arizona State.  Any chance he's in the mix here if ASU fires him and Littrell has gone to Tech, TU, or Houston?

I think Houston promotes their DC! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Believe me, I'm not in denial. I think it's possible that he will leave. I'm just so sick of the chatter and speculation that I'm not thinking about it anymore. I want him to stay, but if he goes, he goes.

• Upvote 2

I don't get how the Tulsa idea is so highly debated. Being a couple of hours closer to your hometown doesn't seem worth the risk of trying to rebuild at another G5. It's not like he's in Washington or something right now...they're not too far from family and he has a good gig with a good start. If he even had an offer from Tulsa after a year here and didn't replicate his performance as quickly as they would like, he would be SOL. Build one program for a few years and don't run off for every minor salary increase. Then hope for a much bigger shot to come along.

The sky isn't falling. SL won't get a sniff from P5's unless NT puts together 2 amazing seasons after this one. He's got a long tough road ahead of him. Look at what happened to Dan after the HoD Bowl win. You guys are worse than Tony Romo nut huggers, jeez........ 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Under the leadership of Wren Baker, one has to be confident that we can devise a successful strategy to keep Littrell as long as possible. I'd guess that we will see the following in this offseason:

1) New deal for a Littrell to take him to or over the ~$1mm mark annually

2) Assistant salary incresases to the top of CUSA (and likely into MWC ranges)

3) Announcement of Indoor Practice Facility

4) Possibly some additional staff or support positions created

5) Operating budget enhancements

If you're Littrell and see that sort of commitment and support from the university, that would be tremendously reassuring, where you're comfortable staying for the foreseeable future. Now, another thing to remember is that guys like Baker and Littrell have major vision for UNT that includes becoming a "best in class" G5 program. They have the clear opportunity to do that and really build something special. That's worth a lot to young professionals like that. 

Littrell won't leave for another G5 job, and I'd bet that there's only a handful of major P5 jobs (ie "a list" similar to Johnny Jones) that he will consider. 

Its going to take significant commitment from alumni, boosters, and the fan base to make this list above happen; and this program needs everyone to hop on the train now to achieve them.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Under the leadership of Wren Baker, one has to be confident that we can devise a successful strategy to keep Littrell as long as possible. I'd guess that we will see the following in this offseason:

1) New deal for a Littrell to take him to or over the ~$1mm mark annually

2) Assistant salary incresases to the top of CUSA (and likely into MWC ranges)

3) Announcement of Indoor Practice Facility

4) Possibly some additional staff or support positions created

5) Operating budget enhancements

If you're Littrell and see that sort of commitment and support from the university, that would be tremendously reassuring, where you're comfortable staying for the foreseeable future. Now, another thing to remember is that guys like Baker and Littrell have major vision for UNT that includes becoming a "best in class" G5 program. They have the clear opportunity to do that and really build something special. That's worth a lot to young professionals like that. 

Littrell won't leave for another G5 job, and I'd bet that there's only a handful of major P5 jobs (ie "a list" similar to Johnny Jones) that he will consider. 

Its going to take significant commitment from alumni, boosters, and the fan base to make this list above happen; and this program needs everyone to hop on the train now to achieve them.

No. This would be premature and very RV of WB to do. We are still paying off a horrible extension thanks to the one and only #ThanksRV. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

No. This would be premature and very RV of WB to do. We are still paying off a horrible extension thanks to the one and only #ThanksRV. 

Littrell has done a good job.  I think some may be overrating these coaches performances to some extent because of how bad the previous coaches were.  McNulty, DBs playing 10 yards off, conservative play calling, etc.  Some keep harping on the 1-11 and the talent.  I stated several times in the offseason, this team had more talent than a 1-11 team.  Maybe about 4-8, but not 1-11. 

Its not a surprise to me that the defense is doing well at times.  We brought a lot of players back from last year.  One big difference is a change almost everyone on this board wanted to see and that was DBs with tighter coverage.  Its not a great coaching move.  Its just common sense.  Lets also remember Littrell was brought here for offense.  Until that is up and running like it's supposed to and the recruiting is where it's supposed to be, lets not get carried away. 

Back to the talent...Yes were were 1-11 last year, but every team we beat this year, we had more talent overall. Theres a few players I wouldn't mind having from some of those teams, but as a whole we had more talent.  And we also lost 2 games to teams that we had similar talent to with UTSA and SMU.  IMO the mark of a good coach is getting more out of his players and beating teams with more talent.  That is coaching.  So far, Littrell is doing his job and doing what he is supposed to do.  Compared to Mac and staff, Littrell deserves his props, but that's about it for now.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Littrell has done a good job.  I think some may be overrating these coaches performances to some extent because of how bad the previous coaches were.  McNulty, DBs playing 10 yards off, conservative play calling, etc.  Some keep harping on the 1-11 and the talent.  I stated several times in the offseason, this team had more talent than a 1-11 team.  Maybe about 4-8, but not 1-11. 

Its not a surprise to me that the defense is doing well at times.  We brought a lot of players back from last year.  One big difference is a change almost everyone on this board wanted to see and that was DBs with tighter coverage.  Its not a great coaching move.  Its just common sense.  Lets also remember Littrell was brought here for offense.  Until that is up and running like it's supposed to and the recruiting is where it's supposed to be, lets not get carried away. 

Back to the talent...Yes were were 1-11 last year, but every team we beat this year, we had more talent overall. Theres a few players I wouldn't mind having from some of those teams, but as a whole we had more talent.  And we also lost 2 games to teams that we had similar talent to with UTSA and SMU.  IMO the mark of a good coach is getting more out of his players and beating teams with more talent.  That is coaching.  So far, Littrell is doing his job and doing what he is supposed to do.  Compared to Mac and staff, Littrell deserves his props, but that's about it for now.

This Mc's offensive philosophy not Seths that is being used at this time. Find what works and go with it.

Let Seth get a full recruiting class of his guys then we will start to see the let it fly and experience greater success.

The shortfall of these coaches at this time is in game adjustments. Hopefully with this years experience that will improve next year.

Do what ever you have to do to keep the co DCs! EK might be our best recruiter!

Very doubtful we lose Littrell this year.  With that said there is always the Karen Aston scenario.  He could have been on a P5's short list before we hired him and now with his against the odds turn-around here they are ready to pull the trigger.  Still that is not likely and will not cause me any sleepless nights.

20 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Don't underestimate the importance of depth and our lack there of. 

Edited by HoustonEagle

2 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I see Herman the same as a Charlie Strong.  They both made their mark in coaching with very good quarterbacks:  Herman has a top QB at Houston, thus the excellent year they are having;  Strong became a name in coaching while Terry Bridgewater was QB at Louisville for 3-4 years.

And Bridgewater was verbal commit to Miami before the blow up at the U! Herman on the other hand has recruited well against some tough competition! This I see as a difference.

6 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

This Mc's offensive philosophy not Seths that is being used at this time. Find what works and go with it.

Let Seth get a full recruiting class of his guys then we will start to see the let it fly and experience greater success.

The shortfall of these coaches at this time is in game adjustments. Hopefully with this years experience that will improve next year.

Do what ever you have to do to keep the co DCs! EK might be our best recruiter!

There's other shortfalls of the coaching staff too.  I'm not trying to bash them.  They are learning as they go and trying to figure things out.  In a few years they may be ready to move on, but they are not there yet.

I pay a lot of attention to the DBs.  They have done a decent job with the DBs, but this was a veteran group that was supposed to be a strength of the team this year.  They have looked good versus bad teams, but looked overmatched against good QBs.  We have a dramatic improvement in interceptions this season due to just a change in defensive scheme.  But we could have even more interceptions with a simple basic technique change.  

Our DBs are not looking back for the ball.  They are all doing it, so that leads me to believe it is coaching.  I have seen the drills where when the DB is beat and you are chasing a WR, you play the man and when the ball drops in there, you try to time it right and you rip the ball out or an arm away. This technique is good for when you are beat and you cannot make a play on the ball.  Many times our DBs are in perfect position, and we are still using this technique and don't make a play on the ball.  If you have good position, you should turn your head around and locate the ball.  That is why we get so many PI penalties. Dbs shouldnt be running stride for stride and staring the WR in the face past 20 yards.

1 hour ago, GOMG2013 said:

I endorse this post. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GOMG2013 said:

There's other shortfalls of the coaching staff too.  I'm not trying to bash them.  They are learning as they go and trying to figure things out.  In a few years they may be ready to move on, but they are not there yet.

I pay a lot of attention to the DBs.  They have done a decent job with the DBs, but this was a veteran group that was supposed to be a strength of the team this year.  They have looked good versus bad teams, but looked overmatched against good QBs.  We have a dramatic improvement in interceptions this season due to just a change in defensive scheme.  But we could have even more interceptions with a simple basic technique change.  

Our DBs are not looking back for the ball.  They are all doing it, so that leads me to believe it is coaching.  I have seen the drills where when the DB is beat and you are chasing a WR, you play the man and when the ball drops in there, you try to time it right and you rip the ball out or an arm away. This technique is good for when you are beat and you cannot make a play on the ball.  Many times our DBs are in perfect position, and we are still using this technique and don't make a play on the ball.  If you have good position, you should turn your head around and locate the ball.  That is why we get so many PI penalties. Dbs shouldnt be running stride for stride and staring the WR in the face past 20 yards.

Coaching technique is determined by the talent level you have.

My concern is more with pre snap formations and making adjustments at 1/2 time. Our D on a third and 45 with SMU and having 3rd and short and throwing a lob pass?

The coaches went for the fences with SM with the trick plays which they deserve a lot of credit !GMG

Edited by Wag Tag

This team has been smoked by the top half of CUSA. Before anointing SL the savior, let's see what happens 2 years from now. He's certainly got this program back on track. They key is he keeps the cart planted on the rails and not blown off into an abyss like Mac & Co.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1