Rangers won't knock down Globe Life Park even if new stadium is voted on

http://www.fox4news.com/news/206684585-story

I have been torn about the new air conditioned stadium but this really makes me lean towards a new stadium more. The thing I still don't like is that not only ticket prices go up because of the new entertainment district and air conditioning, but because the current design calls for 2,000-6,000 less seats than the current ballpark.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rudy said:

Now you're telling me it's going to be smaller?  WTF?!

That seems to be the trend with new roofed stadiums these days. I know the Rangers only average 34,000 fans a game this year, but I'd like to see them go bold, and make the seating capacity of the stadium larger, like 50-55,000. Everything's supposed to be bigger in Texas, right?

• Upvote 1

I don't much go to MLB games anymore at all.  

The last time I paid for an MLB ticket was in 2011 for a San Francisco game while I was visiting.  

Their ticket purchase process made me weep for the future.  Every seat for every game was a live action auction.  As in, there were no set prices (at least not for single game tickets).  You had to bid and hope to god you could get a seat.  

Given that process, it doesn't matter too terribly much if a stadium holds 5 people or 5 million people.  Supply and demand will deliver one hell of an equilibrium. 

As for baseball in a dome, I've never experienced such a thing.  I am hypothetically sworn against such blasphemy.  

But I also know I've refused free tickets to Rangers games before because I've been there in the summer and have no desire to ever experience that again.  Like ever.  Not even if you put me in the naked Swedish bikini suite with forty gallons of beer on tap and cheesecake for days. 

Nonetheless, MLB is already too rich for my blood.  I haven't paid for a ticket at a Rangers game since about 2007.  Raise the prices further, and I doubt I ever will.  Same goes for the Cowboys and the NFL.  

1boexc.jpg

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Baseball is an outdoor sport.  There is absolutely no reason to build a new stadium.

Have you tried to go to an afternoon game in the summer? If you aren't in the shade it is a brutal experience. Even the 7:00 PM starts are pretty hot.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Have you tried to go to an afternoon game in the summer? If you aren't in the shade it is a brutal experience. Even the 7:00 PM starts are pretty hot.

I grew up playing baseball in Denton.  I loved it.  I once played catcher during a game with a 3:00pm start time.  The temperature was over 110.  If I could do it for free, these guys making millions can handle it.  

Did you ever go to a game at the old ballpark?  It not, you don't know hot.

It must be something with the Metroplex or UNT.  Our band can't wear their uniforms because they might sweat.  Did it become hotter the past few decades?  I don't ever recall the GB not being in full uniform when I went to games as a kid.  SMU's band was able to handle the heat and wear their Mr. Peppermint tribute uniforms, Tennessee's band was in full uniform for their game with Florida two weeks ago.  The on the field temperature was over 100 degrees at kickoff with 105,000 + in attendance.

We live in Texas, it is what it is.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I grew up playing baseball in Denton.  I loved it.  I once played catcher during a game with a 3:00pm start time.  The temperature was over 110.  If I could do it for free, these guys making millions can handle it.  

Did you ever go to a game at the old ballpark?  It not, you don't know hot.

It must be something with the Metroplex or UNT.  Our band can't wear their uniforms because they might sweat.  Did it become hotter the past few decades?  I don't ever recall the GB not being in full uniform when I went to games as a kid.  SMU's band was able to handle the heat and wear their Mr. Peppermint tribute uniforms, Tennessee's band was in full uniform for their game with Florida two weeks ago.  The on the field temperature was over 100 degrees at kickoff with 105,000 + in attendance.

We live in Texas, it is what it is.

I went to many games in the old stadium. Perhaps the most memorable was when the wax museum down the road burned down. There was a huge black plume of smoke that was visible all night out in left field. I remember listening to the radio when Nolan Ryan got his seventh no hitter.

The thing about those band uniforms is that sweat (and moisture in general) can shorten the life or at worst ruin the uniforms. They must be dry cleaned. I don't know if the school pays for the expense or if students must take care of the cleaning themselves. Also, those uniforms are hot. They don't breath and you have to wear multiple layers. I can remember in high school where we had some people almost pass out due to heat related illnesses. It's almost certain such a thing has happened in the Green Brigade if the students are required to wear uniforms in the hotter weather. If you can avoid heat related illnesses, why not let them wear the shorts and a t-shirt? The university does have a responsibility to its students to not put their health in jeopardy if there are options to reduce risk.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was not making the band reference to "slam" them, but I do find it odd that so many other university's bands were their full uniforms all the time, as our's did years ago, while our current band does not.  What changed?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Been to plenty of games at the old and current park.  Make no mistake I absolutely love the current park but going there during the season is miserable.  I find most of the people that don't want a new stadium and don't want a roof are ones that might attend a game a season or every few seasons.  The people that buy season tix or ticket plans for multiple games absolutely want the roof.  The truth is that the experience and heat is miserable and we live in a time where we all have a ton more options.  We can watch it in our homes in front of a big screen HD TV or people can opt to just do something else since there's plenty to do.  Times are different and the growth and traffic of the area hasn't helped at all in the lat 15 years or so.  

I also think it's silly putting it in Arlington.  The notion that Arlington supports the Rangers couldn't be further from the truth.  Attendance during weekdays have been pretty bad for a team in first place all season long.  They do support the teams when building the stadiums but attendance wise it's not the way it should be.  I know it won't happen but the park should be in downtown Dallas with plenty of access to go to games via the dart rail.  You play 81 games a season and that ridiculous city of Arlington opting out of mass transportation annoys me to no end. Even when there are leaner years, if you have the option to get to the game via mass transit AND you have a roof and a climate controlled atmosphere people will still want to go to games and in my opinion the attendance shouldn't be as terrible as the same situation with the park being in Arlington.

When I lived in the area, I was about 15 minutes from the stadium and attended numerous games.  I attended the All Star game in 1995 and it was pretty miserable, but that is the only game I recall where it was just terrible.  I just think outdoor sports should be played outside.  I am very much a traditionalist when it comes to this, so I am not a fan of any domed stadium.

On 10/3/2016 at 0:45 PM, UNTLifer said:

I was not making the band reference to "slam" them, but I do find it odd that so many other university's bands were their full uniforms all the time, as our's did years ago, while our current band does not.  What changed?

Threat of litigation? I honestly don't know but I am of the opinion if you can do something that helps prevent someone from getting hurt or sick, you should do it.

• Downvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Threat of litigation? I honestly don't know but I am of the opinion if you can do something that helps prevent someone from getting hurt or sick, you should do it.

I think his point is students at other schools can wear them and ours did too up until a few years ago. Why can other students wear their uniforms and ours can't?

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

You can.  Practice in the heat and acclimate.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You can.  Practice in the heat and acclimate.

Considering football teams are practicing early in the mornings or later in the evenings to avoid excessive heat exposure, I doubt bands are out marching in the middle of the afternoon as well. All it takes is a student to collapse in the middle of practice (or worse, a game) and then you possibly have a lawsuit to end such practices. Chances are it has happened somewhere.

• Upvote 1

The Rangers play mostly night games anyway.  Yes, it's really warm at night in a Texas summer - but 85 to 90 at night is still not in the sun.  I know Sundays tend to be day games all around the Majors, so that can be an issue in the dog days.  But, I think MLB tries to accommodate the super hot climates as much as possible.

It's still a really wonderful and fairly new place.  I can't see the justification in leaving it.

On 10/6/2016 at 8:22 AM, UNTFan23 said:

Considering football teams are practicing early in the mornings or later in the evenings to avoid excessive heat exposure, I doubt bands are out marching in the middle of the afternoon as well. All it takes is a student to collapse in the middle of practice (or worse, a game) and then you possibly have a lawsuit to end such practices. Chances are it has happened somewhere.

Yep, and people spill hot coffee on their laps and sue the place where they bought it.  Welcome to our overly litigious society.  People work in the heat all of the time.  Take time to properly prepare and you will be fine.  Different generations.

On 10/7/2016 at 9:52 AM, UNTLifer said:

Yep, and people spill hot coffee on their laps and sue the place where they bought it.  Welcome to our overly litigious society.  People work in the heat all of the time.  Take time to properly prepare and you will be fine.  Different generations.

Totally agree. During 2 a days, I used to practice football in the am, haul hay half a day (including stacking it in the barn) rest a bit, then practice again in the afternoon. I wasn't a badass by any means but I certainly don't feel sorry for these creampuffs. Marching around in full uniform isn't even remotely as intense as the above activities. If you tell a person they are a wuss, they will believe and act like they are a wuss. If you don't, they won't. Very plain and simple. If they can't handle the heat, they shouldn't be in the band, again, very plain and simple.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1