MGB: Tuesday practice notes

Brett Vito

14 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

sorry guys but I think some of you are putting a little too much faith into Wilson locking down starting RB.  Fact of the matter is that his stats would state he isn't any better than Byrd at this point.  Byrd was a good running back but he wasn't exceptional by any means.  Have you seen Wilson's name mentioned more than once this camp?  Have you seen Wyche's name mentioned every single day for a long TD after bowling through defenders?  

Just not sure about why the love affair exists with some of you and Wilson.

J2nCw15PR15OE.gif

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

sorry guys but I think some of you are putting a little too much faith into Wilson locking down starting RB.  Fact of the matter is that his stats would state he isn't any better than Byrd at this point.  Byrd was a good running back but he wasn't exceptional by any means.  Have you seen Wilson's name mentioned more than once this camp?  Have you seen Wyche's name mentioned every single day for a long TD after bowling through defenders?  

Except that he's been everywhere.  He's on my season tickets, he has been highlighted on MGS, he & Scott were at C-USA media days, etc...   There's no need to mention him in camp, because it would be the same every time...   "Wilson looking good", "Wilson leading the offense"...

Wilson will rack up major yards this year.  Wyche will be a nice backup, and I bet he'll step up and contribute if Wilson were to be injured, but other than that, I don't see him starting.

As for his stats...   It's kinda hard for him to run when the box is stacked 8-9 deep because the opposition knows our QB (whoever it is) can't get the ball to anyone but Harris.   You know this though.   That's why we can expect big things from Wilson this season.

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

sorry guys but I think some of you are putting a little too much faith into Wilson locking down starting RB.  Fact of the matter is that his stats would state he isn't any better than Byrd at this point. 

Not at all. Byrd has 83 yards as a sophomore. Wilson had over 800. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Not at all. Byrd has 83 yards as a sophomore. Wilson had over 800. 

Byrd wasn't the starting running back. As for the "franchise player" argument by MeanGreenTexan (sorry Lifer).....just because he is on the tickets and pasted everywhere doesn't mean you don't give updates on him. Watch and see.

And some are putting a whole lot of stock into what is happening in Fall camp vs what has actually happened on a D1 football field against real competition.  

Having success in Fall camp is great and shows if certain things were learned or improved on, but let's not get carried away over what the first team is doing to the UNT second/scout team.  I would be completely shocked if Fall camp held more weight over actual game experience...but you never know.  I've been shocked about UNT before.

1 hour ago, GOMG2013 said:

And some are putting a whole lot of stock into what is happening in Fall camp vs what has actually happened on a D1 football field against real competition.  

Having success in Fall camp is great and shows if certain things were learned or improved on, but let's not get carried away over what the first team is doing to the UNT second/scout team.  I would be completely shocked if Fall camp held more weight over actual game experience...but you never know.  I've been shocked about UNT before.

Dude had 1 touchdown last year......let's tap the breaks on calling him the next Adrian Peterson

Byrd wasn't the starting running back. As for the "franchise player" argument by MeanGreenTexan (sorry Lifer).....just because he is on the tickets and pasted everywhere doesn't mean you don't give updates on him. Watch and see.

Is Morris not throwing INTs? Maybe not, but I think part of these updates are chosen because people like to know how the backups and newcomers are doing. (Referencing all these Shanbour INTs updates from Vito)

Wyche sounds really good, but this is the first time I recall someone dismissing Wilson.  He's been the starter, or challenging for the position since day 1 for a reason... Even when we've been extremely deep at that position.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Is Morris not throwing INTs? Maybe not, but I think part of these updates are chosen because people like to know how the backups and newcomers are doing. (Referencing all these Shanbour INTs updates from Vito)

Wyche sounds really good, but this is the first time I recall someone dismissing Wilson.  He's been the starter, or challenging for the position since day 1 for a reason... Even when we've been extremely deep at that position.

Not dismissing him but I can't help but wonder if he can stay healthy (small frame) and that he outshines the new talent brought in

1 minute ago, All About UNT said:

Not dismissing him but I can't help but wonder if he can stay healthy (small frame) and that he outshines the new talent brought in

Small frame?   6' 195lbs.   Wyche is an inch shorter and same weight.
I have no doubt he outshines all of the other offensive weapons this year, let alone his backups.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

The good thing is if he does get hurt, or any of the other backs, I'm confident that any of the other guys can step up. It's a very deep group, especially with Wyche coming in

9 hours ago, All About UNT said:

as a player you don't know your on the tickets and being marketing. he will play harder. at 6' 195 thats a big runner with speed. 

Connor Means  RB  6-4 215 RS SO  Deer Park, TX Deer Park HS whats up?

10 hours ago, All About UNT said:

???