U.S. Wins The First Rio Olympics Gold Medal

Nice story about our top women's gymnast, Texan Simone Biles.

"Little Girl Abandoned by Father and Drug-Addict Mother Is Adopted by Christian Texas Family, Becomes Best Athlete in the World"

http://ijr.com/2016/08/668422-unwanted-child-abandoned-by-father-and-drug-addict-mother-adopted-by-christian-texas-family-becomes-best-athlete-in-the-world/

Rick

Simone Biles wins the overall.  And amazingly by more points than all of the overall champions from 1980 thru 2012 combined.

Aly Raismon takes Silver in the overall.

And Texan Simone Manuel wins the gold in the 100 m freestyle, tying the Canadian for the gold.

The U.S. out front with 38 medals so far.

Biles has a chance for three more in the individual gymnastic events.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I love women's gymnastics, although the judging now is ludicrous.  They never should have abandoned the old scoring system.  I will admit that I'm nervous to see who the USOC will pick to lead women's gymnastics, with Bela Karolyi retired and Martha Karolyi retiring after this Olympics.  I also don't like reducing the teams to 4.

The Romanian Women's team is in shambles, but it was bad ass to see the 41 year old Romanian woman compete in her 7th Olympics.  I hope she competes in Tokyo.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

Kinda hard for me to really watch, care and get into the Olympics after seeing the HBO Real Sports on the IOC and the level of ridiculousness the behind the scenes stuff goes.

Don't worry.   All you're missing is NBC trying to start s*** between athletes for drama.  

It's not like these are the worlds best athletes who have worked for 4 years towards a singular goal of competing for one of 3 medals.  No, that's not interesting enough.   Gotta play to Americans' affinity for BS drama.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1