MGB: Ryan Rentfro has elected to leave the program, roster update

Brett Vito

15 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I suppose it's a fun fact, but Portland State had 2 victories over FBS teams.  Bethune-Cookman had none.  Portland State beat, or at least were competitive with, some of the best teams in FCS.  Bethune-Cookman played a cupcake schedule even by FCS standards, other than their 45-0 loss to Miami.  Portland State and Bethune-Cookman were not in the same stratosphere last year.  So while I'm not saying anyone should look past B-C, similar results to last year's thrashing at the hands of Portland State should cause fans to question the coaching hire.

Cookman plays in a very competitive FCS conference.

Anyone who thinks that game won't be a dogfight doesn't know college football.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

if you haven't notice we have become the team everyone overlooks on the schedule.  I sure Cookman has us as a win.

I doubt that, but they damn sure aren't writing this game off as a loss, either.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Look, I came up with the name Butt Cookman not out of disrespect to a team that stands a very good chance to beat UNT at home, but as a way to demonstrate UNT is playing home games against teams their fans have never heard of and don't care about. 

Get it? 

Yes and I thought it was sort of clever that they have similar letters. But others have latched onto and throw it around out of context like we didn't just get beat by an FCS team. We can make excuses all we want about how good PSU was and who else they beat, but fact of the matter was, we got drubbed by an FCS team. And it still has me bethune hurt.

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

They are not kids.

Still not the ones to blame.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Seriously, where did you come up with the idea "the MEAC is a very competitive FCS conference"?  They're one of the weakest 3 or 4 conferences out of 13.

Their co-conference champs was raked in the FCS top 25. BC was rank just outside. 

Three teams tied for the conference championship with 7-1 conference records. One was BC. The  conference is top heavy and will never be mistaken for the Missouri Valley Conference, but it historically produces several strong teams each season. For the last 5 seasons, BC has been one of those teams. 

This game won't be easy. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'll take a different approach, instead of highlighting how good BC might be, but how historically bad we were.

How bad we were:

4.56 yards per play, 19 Offensive TDs, 320 yards per game

Bethune-Cookman, in a league that generally averages less than FBS in terms of stats:

6.36 yards per play, 47 Offensive TDs, 445 yards per game

They scored an offensive touchdown every 16-17 plays. We did it every 44-45.

I know we are - to an extent - comparing apples and oranges here, but it at least gives us a frame of reference how much work Littrell has in front him and why he has gone so JUCO heavy.

I'm not going to go into this thinking we're going to lose, though, and I bet Littrell feels the same. 

PSU has put an ugly target on us.  But i remember growing up in El Paso when the miners were everyones whipping boy and lost games like 86-6 77-10 and it did not get much better from there.  They were 0 in the win column.  I don't remember who they hired but the next season i think they won five or six games.  It think if we get good qb play we will be ok with three or four wins.   I have a question so we have 20 open scholarships since we have 65 scholarship players (estimated here).  We can't go out and offer 20 scholarships to decent players can we.  Sorry not sure how this works.

4 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yeah..by replacing the previous coaches players.  Why do you think that is?

Same reason why we signed so many walk-ons.

Because the previous coach did a terrible job recruiting players. It's on the coaching staff. They set the players up for failure, and the record the last two years reflects that coach's effort and success in recruiting.

56 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Littrell is cleaning up another coach's mess. 

One man's trash is another man's treasures.  Two different coaches with fairly different philosophies.  Completely reasonable that Littrell is replacing a lot of players on the fringes with his own players.  There have been a few, but not than many contributors that are no longer here.  Not the end of the world.  

47 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Because the previous coach did a terrible job recruiting players. It's on the coaching staff. They set the players up for failure, and the record the last two years reflects that coach's effort and success in recruiting.

Unfortunately there only seemed to be a couple of coaches that were actually doing any recruiting to speak of.  

8 hours ago, Aldo said:

We've had walk ons and recruited players succeed here, and none of those who succeeded here, and even most who didn't succeed here,...ever quit in a game that I've ever watched. 

Regardless...their not kids.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/18/2016 at 4:09 PM, GOMG2013 said:

Cosh gets beat up on here, and he probably deserves it, but the offense was much worse than the defense.  The defense had good games vs UTEP, UTSA, Tenn...and had some moments vs marshall, rice, and smu.  

The offense had zero moments and zero good games.  

On 7/19/2016 at 10:18 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Didn't have the 2013 players on the 2015 team.  So....

As far as making the most of what you inherited, Cosh was actually worse than a HS DC we like to ridicule around here.

2002 under DeLoach: Total Defense ranked 9th

2003 under Evans: Total Defense ranked 21st

2004 under Evans: Total Defense ranked 87th

2005 under Evans: Total Defense ranked 101st

2006 under Bleil: Total Defense ranked 64th

2007 under Mendoza: Total Defense ranked 113th

2008 under DeLoach: Total Defense ranked 119th

2009 under DeLoach: Total Defense ranked 97th

2010 under DeLoach: Total Defense ranked 77th

2011 under Bowen: Total Defense ranked 97th

2012 under Skladany: Total Defense ranked 75th

2013 under Skladany: Total Defense ranked 17th

2014 under Skladany: Total Defense ranked 42nd

2015 under Cosh: Total Defense ranked 119th

So, under Skladany, we were on a downward trend after 2013.  We already knew that.

And, again, "making the most of what you inherit"...you have to have inherited something.  Remember, we were so desperate for defenders last year that Whitfield got talked into returning late in the summer.

It's for sure been a sh*t pot since 2013.  But, Cosh didn't recruit the talent in the sh*t pot.  One way or the other, the defense was going to get burned.

FWIW, I think Skladany simply saw the writing on the wall during the 2014 season and retired.  He had one decent season in three at UNT's DC.  That's it.  Let's not confuse him with a Stoops brother when it comes to defense.  There's a reason he was almost as much as here and there guy as Cosh, save his initial go round with McCarney at Iowa State.

• Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

As far as making the most of what you inherited, Cosh was actually worse than a HS DC we like to ridicule around here.

2002 under DeLoach: Total Defense ranked 9th

2003 under Evans: Total Defense ranked 21st

2004 under Evans: Total Defense ranked 87th

2005 under Evans: Total Defense ranked 101st

2006 under Bleil: Total Defense ranked 64th

2007 under Mendoza: Total Defense ranked 113th

2008 under DeLoach: Total Defense ranked 119th

2009 under DeLoach: Total Defense ranked 97th

2010 under DeLoach: Total Defense ranked 77th

2011 under Bowen: Total Defense ranked 97th

2012 under Skladany: Total Defense ranked 75th

2013 under Skladany: Total Defense ranked 17th

2014 under Skladany: Total Defense ranked 42nd

2015 under Cosh: Total Defense ranked 119th

No doubt Cosh was bad, but there's an OC that gets a pass from the fans and others cause he's a nice guy.  Try to make him out to be a hero cause he was an interim twice. 

And he didn't inherit anything.  He was the OC responsible for recruiting and evaluating talent.  Then we look at how Harrell is out there grinding...that is how it's supposed to be done.  Even if you are only a coordinator and not a head coach.  The OC and DC are supposed to be heavily involved in recruiting.  

It's just easy to blame Mac I guess.  And mac had his faults, but the offense has held this team back from wnning more games for at least 5 years. 

Our defense played good enough to win 3 to 5 games last year.  Not great, but Our offense played good enough to win zero.