MGB: Re-ranking UNT's football roster post-spring

Brett Vito

Nice try @Brett Vito. Again with the size jabs. Did you forget to mention that Trevor Moore isn't your typical kicker? We aren't talking about Trent Deans here. Don't forget to mention that Moore and Shanbour are the same size as Jeffrey Wilson and are both bigger than Kenny Buyers.

The junior is listed at 6-0 and 191 pounds, making him almost exactly the same size as kicker Trevor Moore, who is listed at 5-11, 194. With the way this is going, it looks like Shanbour will be UNT’s top backup, despite being undersized.

There is a running joke among football circles that kickers are not real athletes. Often, kickers are among the smallest on a team in both height and weight.

Sophomore kicker Trevor Moore does not fit that mold.

Standing at just under 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, Moore can bench press 147 percent of his body weight, squat more than 500 pounds, and considers himself pound-for-pound one of the strongest players on the team

Trevor Moore

25_Trevor-MooreDN-4WEB.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Does Vito not have an editor?  First he wrote "Tee is high, Let it fly" in another blog entry and now the first sentence of his second paragraph says "A lot has chance since then,..."

Shanbour is bigger than, or the same size as, notable players Nate Brooks, Kenny Buyers, Chad Davis, Cedric Fernandes, James Gray, Willie Ivery, Andrew Jones, Daniel Khan, Turner Smiley, etc...  Let it go.  He is roughly the same size as Russell Wilson when he entered the combine.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Does Vito not have an editor?  First he wrote "Tee is high, Let it fly" in another blog entry and now the first sentence of his second paragraph says "A lot has chance since then,..."

Shanbour is bigger than, or the same size as, notable players Nate Brooks, Kenny Buyers, Chad Davis, Cedric Fernandes, James Gray, Willie Ivery, Andrew Jones, Daniel Khan, Turner Smiley, etc...  Let it go.  He is roughly the same size as Russell Wilson when he entered the combine.

Agreed. The size thing seems to have turned into an obsession. Since I've never done the famous stand up test with him, I'm just guessing that he's at least around five ten and pretty solid. Good enough for the college game. Of course it's going to vary, but I actually like shorter mobile guys if they have the necessary tools. Oops. Did that sound a little....  

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

Agreed. The size thing seems to have turned into an obsession. Since I've never done the famous stand up test with him, I'm just guessing that he's at least around five ten and pretty solid. Good enough for the college game. Of course it's going to vary, but I actually like shorter mobile guys if they have the necessary tools. Oops. Did that sound a little....  

Sounds like you're head over heels in love with the guy if we're going by Vito's standards.

It's as if major college programs can't be successful with smaller, mobile Quarterbacks....

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/greg_ward_jr_847107.html

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209397188

http://www.12thman.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=525

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Flutie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Wilson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees

I mean. Morris did play at A-L-A-B-A-M-A though. Did I mention he's tall?

Edit: I thought I remembered seeing something like this last year:

Kid is solid muscle. If Johnny Manziel can get hit in the SEC and be okay, I'm fairly certain Shanbour could take a hit in C-USA and be okay

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 5

How did I know this thread would become about Quinn Shanbour...   
eye-roll-gif.gif?gs=a

Anyone else think much of the defensive improvement (specifically the pass rush) is going to be on the shoulders of Wheeler?   If he's still only the #24 "playmaker", in the post-season, then something went very very wrong, and we were scored on alot because QBs had all day to throw.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Anyone else think much of the defensive improvement (specifically the pass rush) is going to be on the shoulders of Wheeler?   If he's still only the #24 "playmaker", in the post-season, then something went very very wrong, and we were scored on alot because QBs had all day to throw.

I think Wheeler will be a key cog in generating pressure especially in one-on-one situations. The beauty of the 3-3-5 swarming/blitzing/attacking defense, from everything I've seen is what Ekeler is planning on doing, is that you don't have to have a Reggie White/Lawrence Taylor absolute dominant defensive end killing the tackles all day. Pressure will be multiple, and will come from different positions. So for me, Wheeler will be a "playmaker" but not so much as the scheme itself being the playmaker

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Vito, if you are trolling these guys on purpose, you are doing a masterful job.  

All you had to do was say "Shanbour" and the Pavlovian response kicked in

Well, he can't say Dajon anymore, so...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

It's a poor reflection on his writing ability.

I think people who demonstrate serious writing skills are taken more seriously.  I agree with that.

But at the end of the day, on a sports blog, I'm not going to speak up about one or two mistakes every now and then.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Vito is still high on Miles.   I hope he comes through.  He has talent, but he got beat quite a bit last year.  Coach Simmonds was good at coaching up road graders.  Hopefully coach Davis can get the most out of Miles in a spread formation.

IMO he's a year away from helping us. Pass blocking is very technical. 

On May 17, 2016 at 2:32 PM, MGNation92 said:

I think Wheeler will be a key cog in generating pressure especially in one-on-one situations. The beauty of the 3-3-5 swarming/blitzing/attacking defense, from everything I've seen is what Ekeler is planning on doing, is that you don't have to have a Reggie White/Lawrence Taylor absolute dominant defensive end killing the tackles all day. Pressure will be multiple, and will come from different positions. So for me, Wheeler will be a "playmaker" but not so much as the scheme itself being the playmaker

Give me just ONE playmaker on the d-line! This could make a huge difference.

39 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

I like the top 5.  The comments about Riley Dodge lacking pedigree reflect an astonishing degree of ignorance, however.  How many Parade All-Americans has North Texas ever signed?

• Upvote 2