HMS Titanic 104 years ago today

greenjoe

The RMS (Royal Mail Ship) Titanic sank 104 years ago today or rather tonight.  The Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas is doing a big exhibit on The Titanic beginning today.  For some reason I'm fascinated in the story of Titanic and I intend to visit the Luxor and see the exhibit.  There was a smaller Titanic exhibit at Fair Park about 20 years ago along with the  recreation of various sleeping rooms and hallways.

How this relates to North Texas Football I have no idea.  The best I can do is that The Titanic sank one year before North Texas started playing varsity football.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

The RMS (Royal Mail Ship) Titanic sank 104 years ago today or rather tonight.  The Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas is doing a big exhibit on The Titanic beginning today.  For some reason I'm fascinated in the story of Titanic and I intend to visit the Luxor and see the exhibit.  There was a smaller Titanic exhibit at Fair Park about 20 years ago along with the  recreation of various sleeping rooms and hallways.

How this relates to North Texas Football I have no idea.  The best I can do is that The Titanic sank one year before North Texas started playing varsity football.

GO MEAN GREEN

Dr. Phil would probably say you have a subconscious fear that the UNT athletic program is taking on prodigious amounts of water and it may sink...this manifests itself in conscious thoughts and interest in the RMS Titanic. CAUTION: This could lead to an obsession with the RMS Republic and ruin your life.

• Upvote 3

3e859a87f6e2f899b625f3b7d20faaea_400x400

This would be the infamous Bendenburg disaster! What makes this so horrendous is that, like the gory scenes in a Sam Peckinpah movie, it goes on and on in slow motion. This disaster started four years ago and still clings to the RV mooring mast with about a year to go before it hits the ground. Worse, to preserve some hope for survival, bystanders have been asked to just "bend over" until the inevitable crash to the ground.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Top 5 things that relate the Titanic to UNT football.

5. The Titanic sank one year before UNT started playing football.  Coincidence or omen?

4.   The Titanic was 882 feet 9 inches long, the exact distance from Fouts Field to Apogee Stadium.

3.    In 1998 the Titanic lost 600 lbs of metal per day because of corrosion, which happened to be the same amount as Fouts Field.

2.   In 2010 mapping projects started to search the debris fields of both the Titanic and UNT football.

1,   The Titanic had 2.224 people on board when it sank.  Ironically this was the actual attendance at UNT's last home football game.  

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, casual fan said:

Top 5 things that relate the Titanic to UNT football.

5. The Titanic sank one year before UNT started playing football.  Coincidence or omen?

4.   The Titanic was 882 feet 9 inches long, the exact distance from Fouts Field to Apogee Stadium.

3.    In 1998 the Titanic lost 600 lbs of metal per day because of corrosion, which happened to be the same amount as Fouts Field.

2.   In 2010 mapping projects started to search the debris fields of both the Titanic and UNT football.

1,   The Titanic had 2.224 people on board when it sank.  Ironically this was the actual attendance at UNT's last home football game.  

I laughed a little...