DRC: New UNT coaches excited to see what they have on defense

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

We're North Texas. The decision was made before the appeal was submitted. As a long time North Texas fan you should know that. 

Additionally, in this case the rule he is appealing was specifically created to address situations like his. The fact that the appeal has 'North Texas' on it shouldn't have any impact on its denial.

"We have to decide if we want to go with a three-man front or four-man front.”

That's an interesting statement.  Most DC's gear their entire system around one or the other, so there's no decision to make.  It is good that Ekeler's flexible as to what best fits the personnel, but he'll need to figure out pretty quickly which he's going with, because it will affect just about everything.

3 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Additionally, in this case the rule he is appealing was specifically created to address situations like his. The fact that the appeal has 'North Texas' on it shouldn't have any impact on its denial.

Sure, you are 100% correct. However, if this was UT they would have already heard a decision and bet your bottom dollar that it would have been a favorable decision for them. 

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

That's an interesting statement.  Most DC's gear their entire system around one or the other, so there's no decision to make.  It is good that Ekeler's flexible as to what best fits the personnel, but he'll need to figure out pretty quickly which he's going with, because it will affect just about everything.

I believe we will be a 3 man front and walk up into a 4 man front if we need to vs certain run situations. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I believe we will be a 3 man front and walk up into a 4 man front if we need to vs certain run situations. 

That sounds like a pretty good guess.  Everything I had been hearing suggested a 3-3-5 base.  But the quote makes it sound as though the coaches don't know yet.

47 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Do we have a nose tackle?

I don't think we will be traditional in the sense of a 310 lb stop gap hold your man and play 2 gap defense.  I think we will line up head up and slant every time, knowing full well we can't out muscle them so we need to confuse them and make them think instead of plowing straight ahead and mashing us. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Aldo said:

I think with our current size we'd go with 4 man front, but I'm no defensive guy

I agree except I think our coaches are trying to figure out a way to disguise that 4 man front by bringing pressure from different parts of the field and keeping the OL and OC from the other team guessing.  Just my guess from watching Georgia, and Memphis last year. 

• Upvote 2