What will it take for a leadership change

GrandGreen

18 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Not saying it is the greatest, but we have 5 Bowl games with 2 wins.  Both men and women's BBall teams have made it to the NCAA tournament.  Again, not what I expect, but not the walking dead either.  There are a lot of teams that would like to have made 5 bowl games in 15 yrs.  I expect more, but the Sky is NOT Falling

You couldn't be more wrong. 

We are in shambles RIGHT now. We have been in this situation for the most part since Dickey was forced out and since JJ's last year. Those were the years of consistency. It's been quite awhile since either of those coaches were coaching the green. We have sucked something fierce since they left. Littrell has the pedigree to turn the ship, but what does our goofy ass AD consider turning the ship? 5-7 in year 3? Giving RV the ability to make these hires all but solidifies him sitting as our AD for TWENTY years. That is truly unprecedented in competitive D1 athletics. But, again, we aren't competitive and somehow that is apparently OK with everyone that is "someone." Quit defending garbage athletics. It's not becoming. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

52 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

You couldn't be more wrong. 

We are in shambles RIGHT now. We have been in this situation for the most part since Dickey was forced out and since JJ's last year. Those were the years of consistency. It's been quite awhile since either of those coaches were coaching the green. We have sucked something fierce since they left. Littrell has the pedigree to turn the ship, but what does our goofy ass AD consider turning the ship? 5-7 in year 3? Giving RV the ability to make these hires all but solidifies him sitting as our AD for TWENTY years. That is truly unprecedented in competitive D1 athletics. But, again, we aren't competitive and somehow that is apparently OK with everyone that is "someone." Quit defending garbage athletics. It's not becoming. 

One of the things that kills us in the chance to fight off the pro-RV crowd is that we have one media outlet that covers us, the DRC, which gets frozen out by the university's leaders when or if they push too hard.

If there was an embarrassing outcry in the bigger DFW media, for example, Randy Galloway or Dale Hansen cared enough to ask how in the world the guy keeps a job, it might grab more attention. But none, and I mean none, ever question this. It sure as hell isn't going to be George Dunham, the one guy who cares about us and is well-known. Tim McMahon has a following and he has interest in UNT, but that isn't a voice that would carry a lot of weight. It's the apathy that got created in Denton that permeates into DFW, too, about almost all things UNT-related. Literally, millions of people in the DFW area absolutely don't care about us having a team or don't even know we field teams.

That's what our "leadership" has delivered to the area for decades. The citizens of Denton don't support the athletics of the university, nor do the clear majority of students, alumni, faculty, and administration. I still believe that it has to come from the top to change this, that administratively, they have to change their view. And they don't want to do that because they know that the support underneath isn't there to insure that they keep their jobs. So we keep on, keeping on...marketing our "value" to the region, as well as our school's reputation within liberal arts and education, which are noble and terrific, but don't bring in a lot of cash, nor does it really attract guys like me, the guy who actually loves college sports with a huge passion. But it is what it is...its not gonna change anytime soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Colorado is in a P5 conference playing against and has multiple games each year against national championship contenders. If we played their schedule you could kiss all our bowl games goodbye. So sorry that isn't a good comparison. Colorado would probably dominate CUSA and would have killed the Sun Belt. And telling the truth about you university athletic program is not hating. It no different than friends and family. My best friends are the ones who tell me the truth when I am messing up. Nothing holds people back more than false praise and minimizing huge failures. They get a false sense of confidence and an inaccurate estimation of the amount of work big long lasting success requires. If that doesn't sum up the athletic culture at UNT I don't know what does. They think that its reasonable for 1 head coach can wash away 50 years of being on the wrong side of mediocre 85% of the time. That is part of the reason they are content having RV around. Cause in there minds the next hire will fix everything. Dodge, Mac, and now Seth. If Seth fails (which will have less to do with him that the culture and structure around him). What will be the answer then? Another coach and finally a new AD 5 years too late? smh

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

University of Colorado has been to 5 Bowl games in the last 15 yrs.  32K enrollment  that took about 5 minutes of my time to find that....  Do I wish we were better....yes I do....But I will not hate on the University...I will support MY University.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2016 at 2:06 AM, GrandGreen said:

Not surprised but find it somewhat amusing that a post that basically agrees with the position you continually take, and you still must find something to disagree with.  Someone might think that your agenda on this board has more to with creating turmoil than presenting your view.   

You created this thread just so you could make this post.

....AND I APPROVE!

Also, to those who say our administration doesn't care about winning I'd ask one question:  Why is our budget at the top of our conference?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

....AND I APPROVE!

Also, to those who say our administration doesn't care about winning I'd ask one question:  Why is our budget at the top of our conference?  

I really don't know this, but I'm gonna guess that it has something to do with our incredibly large student body and the athletic fee...but I know its not from the MGC that grew by 864 people in the same time the university graduated 75000 people or whatever it was that Cerebus reported during RV's tenure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Colorado is in a P5 conference playing against and has multiple games each year against national championship contenders. If we played their schedule you could kiss all our bowl games goodbye. So sorry that isn't a good comparison. Colorado would probably dominate CUSA and would have killed the Sun Belt. And telling the truth about you university athletic program is not hating. It no different than friends and family. My best friends are the ones who tell me the truth when I am messing up. Nothing holds people back more than false praise and minimizing huge failures. They get a false sense of confidence and an inaccurate estimation of the amount of work big long lasting success requires. If that doesn't sum up the athletic culture at UNT I don't know what does. They think that its reasonable for 1 head coach can wash away 50 years of being on the wrong side of mediocre 85% of the time. That is part of the reason they are content having RV around. Cause in there minds the next hire will fix everything. Dodge, Mac, and now Seth. If Seth fails (which will have less to do with him that the culture and structure around him). What will be the answer then? Another coach and finally a new AD 5 years too late? smh

Mike is right.  We need to look at the whole picture when we evaluate performance.  

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

....AND I APPROVE!

Student athletic fee.

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I really don't know this, but I'm gonna guess that it has something to do with our incredibly large student body and the athletic fee...but I know its not from the MGC that grew by 864 people in the same time the university graduated 75000 people or whatever it was that Cerebus reported during RV's tenure.

:boom:

Though ^ is right, let's not use the smug outlook of, "Well we're throwing money at it. It should be working." Let's fire the stupids in charge of hiring, marketing, fundraising etc. Because they are the one's driving us into the ground. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1