If Cinicinnati Leaves AAC, Who Leaves CUSA To Backfill

Eagle-96

8 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Wow. Dallas could not care less about SMU sports. They really couldn't. If you think Dallas cares about SMU athletics then I can't help you. I really can't.

National Championship? Seriously? You're really gonna claim that? I'm embarrassed for you.

"The 1935 Mustangs were crowned national champions by Frank Dickinson a nationally respected economics professor at the University of Illinois. Although Minnesota was proclaimed the 1935 national champion by the AP and UPI polls, SMU usually claims the 1935 national title without qualification, even though they lost the Rose Bowl."

That's the weakest argument for winning a National Championship ever. Bar none.

SMU basketball made the Final Four 60 years ago. 60 YEARS AGO. Might want to put that one in the attic and stop puffing your chest out about that one. Larry will ride off into the sunset

For the record, UNT athletics is abysmal in the revenue sports. We get even less attention in DFW than SMU if that is even possible. I am not saying we are better than SMU, because right now we are not. But don't come here claiming how great SMU is. We're the last two kids on the playground getting picked for teams. Just because you are less terrible than we are does not make you great.

Preeeeeaaaach. 

However, I'd say we're actually currently a little better because we simple aren't smug. You know? All things even...they still suck at, uh, life. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Wow. Dallas could not care less about SMU sports. They really couldn't. If you think Dallas cares about SMU athletics then I can't help you. I really can't.

National Championship? Seriously? You're really gonna claim that? I'm embarrassed for you.

"The 1935 Mustangs were crowned national champions by Frank Dickinson a nationally respected economics professor at the University of Illinois. Although Minnesota was proclaimed the 1935 national champion by the AP and UPI polls, SMU usually claims the 1935 national title without qualification, even though they lost the Rose Bowl."

That's the weakest argument for winning a National Championship ever. Bar none.

SMU basketball made the Final Four 60 years ago. 60 YEARS AGO. Might want to put that one in the attic and stop puffing your chest out about that one. Larry will ride off into the sunset

For the record, UNT athletics is abysmal in the revenue sports. We get even less attention in DFW than SMU if that is even possible. I am not saying we are better than SMU, because right now we are not. But don't come here claiming how great SMU is. We're the last two kids on the playground getting picked for teams. Just because you are less terrible than we are does not make you great.

Honest question, where did the serious hate for SMU from some of the people on this board come from? I really don't understand it. I get that some of you may have run into a few d-bags at one of our games, or just had a bad experience with something SMU but wow some of you are bitter. There are a-holes, d-bags, sorry people at every school, and there are also really good, smart people at every school. As much as I dislike TCU, I don't pigeonhole the entire school. You can judge and stereotype all you want. That's up to you. 

Anyway, back to the sports discussion. Dallas cares about a winner. And currently Dallas definitely cares about SMU basketball. It shows in the people going to the games and the tv ratings. Similar to FW with TCU football. 

Another question, where did I ever say SMU is great? One of your posters claimed the greatest success SMU has had in football and basketball was a result of cheating. That is absolutely untrue and I just pointed it out examples of each. I don't see how that is me puffing my chest out about anything? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I hate SMU for a number of reasons, too numerous to post on here.

I laugh at the thought that the Big 12 is even entertaining allowing SMU back in to the big boy's club.  Ain't gonna happen.  UT led the break up of the old SWC because of the small privates.  I mean, who wants to be defined by small privates anyway.  Baylor had the political clout to not get cut and it took them years to get up to speed, and I would be pretty comfortable in stating that they will come under investigation before too long.  SMU's  self perception and reality are way, way off.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I hate SMU for a number of reasons, too numerous to post on here.

I laugh at the thought that the Big 12 is even entertaining allowing SMU back in to the big boy's club.  Ain't gonna happen.  UT led the break up of the old SWC because of the small privates.  I mean, who wants to be defined by small privates anyway.  Baylor had the political clout to not get cut and it took them years to get up to speed, and I would be pretty comfortable in stating that they will come under investigation before too long.  SMU's  self perception and reality are way, way off.

Small privates lead to A Lot of break ups. Not sure why my wife sticks around.

Loads pistol

Signs letter

Pulls trigger

• Upvote 5

Why would AAC want North Texas?  I don't really care what SMU does...if they want to get out of the agreement?  That's fine more power to them although I think it'd be nice for both school to play each other if not every year then on somewhat of a regular basis.  The issue with all business associated with North Texas athletics is we can't even think about advancing because we can't and don't win.  Just win, win consistently, create a winning culture for all the major and important sports and things will slowly but surely take care of itself.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, MJavierSMU said:

The coach is a legend, who is like a father figure to Allen Iverson, so yeah, it definitely gets SMU second looks from elite recruits. 

As for Larry's history, you must not be aware of what happened at UCLA or Kansas. This recent article tells the story that most don't know, or don't want to know, about those stops. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2616242-banned-from-the-ncaa-tournament-larry-brown-and-smu-fight-to-regain-their-pride

So , just to recap, his other two stops the NCAA hands down sanctions, and SMU gets a post-season ban this year...but he's just a misunderstood "father figure"?  

Todge, is that you??

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, MJavierSMU said:

The coach is a legend, who is like a father figure to Allen Iverson, so yeah, it definitely gets SMU second looks from elite recruits. 

Not sure that is anything to hang your hat on.  Back when Brown was coaching the 76'ers I worked at the Baylor-Tom Landry Center.  Our facility was the practice facility for the Mav's and visiting teams would come practice there.  The day the 76'ers arrived, Iverson comes walking through our lobby dressed like a moron dropping F bombs left and right in front of any and everyone.  I approached Coach Brown and asked if he could ask Iverson to tone it down when in front of our members, ladies, etc...  Brown looked at me like I was from outer space.  If he was Iverson's father figure, he failed.  He had zero control over Iverson or that team.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, MJavierSMU said:

He was only a "father figure" to him because Iverson could put the ball in the hole at will and despite being a father figure I'm not really sure how much Iverson really benefited from all that fatherly advice.

SMU killed any chance of us making the SWC back in the 70's, when it would have made perfect sense, getting TCU, Baylor, and Rice to fight this, especially after UH joined the club and immediately began kicking ass.

When CUSA chose UTEP, yes they were ahead of us, but SMU didn't just throw their lot behind Podunk La Tech for grins, they got Tulane, Rice, and Tulsa to go along with them in not supporting us.

But the funny part is that TCU has basically done the same thing to TCU since the early 00's. Left the WAC for the original CUSA, when it was very strong. As soon as teams left CUSA for the Big East and CUSA added SMU, they immediately bolted to the MWC. And as soon as the Big 12 opportunity jumped open, that was the only way that the Big East/AAC would take in SMU. Yet, they have preserved the tradition of almost always playing annually on the gridiron. Why SMU, who has no fanbase to mention, wouldn't want the easy gate receipts that come from playing us regularly is really too bad. You could easily get UNT, TCU, and two others for home-and-home series, which will give you at least one decently attended gate at Ford Stadium. But if you won't continue the series, it will be a great slap to the fans around here who think that our AD got some coup by scheduling you for a series that is 12 years long, except that after 4 years, y'all can quit it. But his fans will say it was your fault, not his, so when we play Idaho, ULM, NMSU, and Georgia State in home and home series to replace you, with the same exact amount of visiting fans as SMU brought, maybe, just maybe, our fanbase will finally realize that playing you guys in football again is something to never do.

• Upvote 1

That's why it's so important to have a successful athletic program in these volatile times. When the conferences come a calling you have to be ready. The last 5 years have been pitiful for football & basketball combined. The AAC wouldn't wipe it's ass with UNT toilet paper right now....

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

That's why it's so important to have a successful athletic program in these volatile times. When the conferences come a calling you have to be ready. The last 5 years have been pitiful for football & basketball combined. The AAC wouldn't wipe it's ass with UNT toilet paper right now....

Neither would the MWC. We are only in CUSA currently because of our market, which only opened up because SMU let to go to the Big East/AAC.

My worry is that our football team's current condition is closer to the rule, looking back over the last 50 years, than it is the exception. Until that changes out, more than one winning season in the last 11 or 4 winning seasons in 21, the attendance won't be there and the conference/current level of football will just get worse before it gets better for us. And in basketball, you have to actually win a game or two in the tournament, not just get in as a 15 seed and get bombed by the name program that is seeded #2.

• Upvote 3

On 2/17/2016 at 1:55 PM, MJavierSMU said:

I'll give Cincinnati credit for getting in the media and pushing this but I don't think the Big 12 adds anyone right now, especially since the NCAA ok'd the championship game under their current structure. 

As for the SMU/UNT series, I'm still hearing that will not play out. Orsini, our former AD, was behind the series and I'm told both Rick Hart, current AD, and Chad Morris are working to cancel the agreement and they will try to replace UNT will a P5 school. Obviously, this year's game will happen but anything after that is unlikely. 

On 2/17/2016 at 2:46 PM, MJavierSMU said:

It really has nothing to do with ego. SMU is just like UH, Cincinnati, Memphis and UConn in that our goal is to get into a P5 conference. The next three to five years are vital. Every OOC game is extremely important and any G5 school that wants to move up should schedule accordingly. It's not that SMU is above playing UNT. It just does nothing for us, and it really does nothing for UNT to play SMU. 

So, that's why you are scheduling Abilene Christian in 2019? Gotcha. 

Whether SMU likes to admit it or not, you are more similar to North Texas than a P5.

On February 18, 2016 at 8:46 AM, MJavierSMU said:

Honest question, where did the serious hate for SMU from some of the people on this board come from? I really don't understand it. I get that some of you may have run into a few d-bags at one of our games, or just had a bad experience with something SMU but wow some of you are bitter. There are a-holes, d-bags, sorry people at every school, and there are also really good, smart people at every school. As much as I dislike TCU, I don't pigeonhole the entire school. You can judge and stereotype all you want. That's up to you. 

Anyway, back to the sports discussion. Dallas cares about a winner. And currently Dallas definitely cares about SMU basketball. It shows in the people going to the games and the tv ratings. Similar to FW with TCU football. 

Another question, where did I ever say SMU is great? One of your posters claimed the greatest success SMU has had in football and basketball was a result of cheating. That is absolutely untrue and I just pointed it out examples of each. I don't see how that is me puffing my chest out about anything? 

There are several delusional people on here that think SMU kept UNT out of the SWC back in the Hayden Fry era 1,000,000 years ago. There are others that think you guys actually care about playing UNT and that you guys will bring massive crowds to Apogee (you don't, and that's not a shot). 

This fan base is extremely small minded and is like an abused child. It only knows what it knows, so it believes SMU is done OOC marque game, meanwhile UNT brings 10k fans (read: ticket revenue for SMU) to Ford while SMU brings maybe 500 to Apogee.

This fan base isn't smart. If they were, they would see that the series with SMU favors you guys heavily financially while bringing little return to UNT. Again, not a shot, it just is.

Funny thing is you guys don't need the money, but UNT does. This makes this a useless series for both parties. I'm sure y'all will exercise the 4 year out clause. It would be smart for both schools to walk away. 

• Downvote 4

On February 18, 2016 at 8:46 AM, MJavierSMU said:

I think you're a nice fella and I personally think everyone is jealous of SMU.

Sincerly,

The Man who had 5 threads on ponyfans.com bitching about his UNT tailgate taking over the BLVD

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

This fan base is extremely small minded and is like an abused child. It only knows what it knows, so it believes SMU is done OOC marque game, meanwhile UNT brings 10k fans (read: ticket revenue for SMU) to Ford while SMU brings maybe 500 to Apogee.

This fan base isn't smart. If they were, they would see that the series with SMU favors you guys heavily financially while bringing little return to UNT. Again, not a shot, it just is.

Speak for yourself. If you can get 10000 people excited about anything, you better run with it. 

Your hate for Rv has got you so twisted that you would rather us play Vanderbilt or Northwestern, just because they are P5. 

The SMU series is something we have been begging for for years. Rv delivered. Deal with it.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

Speak for yourself. If you can get 10000 people excited about anything, you better run with it. 

Your hate for Rv has got you so twisted that you would rather us play Vanderbilt or Northwestern, just because they are P5. 

The SMU series is something we have been begging for for years. Rv delivered. Deal with it.

And here is the fan short sightedness of which I speak. 

Also, enjoy these last 2 games of.this series. SMU will opt out after 2017.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

And here is the fan short sightedness of which I speak. 

Also, enjoy these last 2 games of.this series. SMU will opt out after 2017.

Oh no.  He's resorted to name calling again but don't dare turn the tables or you shall feel his feeble minded wrath. 

• Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Oh no.  He's resorted to name calling again but don't dare turn the tables or you shall feel his feeble minded wrath. 

Here is news for you. Criticizing something someone says is far different from calling someone a moron. When I call someone a sports idiot, that is a criticism of what they are saying in relation to sports.

You guys can't help but just straight out name call because of a differing opinion. It's petty and small. Try to be better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

17 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Because SMU is pathetic. I've met a disproportionate amount of douchebags from SMU.

0% chance SMU cancels. Rick may do a lot of things wrong, but he's not going to let you out of the contract. He hates SMU more than we do, and wants to see you guys get your ass kicked repeatedly or barely beat a 1-11 team. Sorry, bud. You'll continue to have to rely on us to fill your shitty stadium.

Also, admit it. Your school is a cesspool of Dallas racism and classism. I once read an article with a killer punchline; "Dallas's culture only stems from when white men are shot in it." F SMU and everything it represents.

Wow. 

In the few times I visited this board over the past year and a half your posts have stood out, especially if the topic is SMU and/or Dallas with the supposed racism and lack of culture. There is a definite common theme and agenda with your posts. 

As a middle-class minority I had a great experience at SMU and living in Dallas. Most all private schools still need to improve with diversity but I never felt out of place and neither did my close group of friends. 

That was my experience but apparently you know more about racism at SMU than I do because you bring it up, A LOT. I'm sure I'm not going to change your opinion of SMU or Dallas because message board bullies rarely back down. So continue your hate message and good luck with it.

BTW, I've enjoyed my trips to Denton and UNT, great college town and a great school. The only times treated poorly were my few trips to this board and a couple of people with rude comments at the Super Pit recently (I was wearing my SMU basketball hat). But most UNT people were very friendly and we had a great time at the game. 

Edited by MJavierSMU
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

32 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

Wow. 

In the few times I visited this board over the past year and a half your posts have stood out, especially if the topic is SMU and/or Dallas with the supposed racism and lack of culture. There is a definite common theme and agenda with your posts. 

As a middle-class minority I had a great experience at SMU and living in Dallas. Most all private schools still need to improve with diversity but I never felt out of place and neither did my close group of friends. 

That was my experience but apparently you know more about racism at SMU than I do because you bring it up, A LOT. I'm sure I'm not going to change your opinion of SMU or Dallas because message board bullies rarely back down. So continue your hate message and good luck with it.

BTW, I've enjoyed my trips to Denton and UNT, great college town and a great school. The only times treated poorly were my few trips to this board and a couple of people with rude comments at the Super Pit recently (I was wearing my SMU basketball hat). But most UNT people were very friendly and we had a great time at the game. 

He is... Different. Just keep that in mind.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3