Question about scholarships available

NorthTexan95

There's been various comments made that after signing 19 players that we only have one more scholarship available to give.  How can it be one instead of 6?  There have been some vague comments that Mac is to blame but I, and I'm sure others, would like to know if any of this is true.  

Do we really only have one scholarship to give?  If so, how did it this happen? 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

There's been various comments made that after signing 19 players that we only have one more scholarship available to give.  How can it be one instead of 6?  There have been some vague comments that Mac is to blame but I, and I'm sure others, would like to know if any of this is true.  

Do we really only have one scholarship to give?  If so, how did it this happen? 

@Brett Vito  help?

• Upvote 1

Bumping this for clarification and also beckoning @Brett Vito for assistance. Trying to search for the original poster of this statement as well... The question was did Mac just give a bunch of walk-on scholarships that we aren't aware of, for reference. 

ETA: Here's the original correspondence that I saw and calling on @Wag Tag for clarification.

He said:

Yep,bet we are holding out for a DT. Seth said we only have one left

Someone else asked how that could be and he stated:

Read some of the other post on the class. Something with Mac! Just as bummed as most!

@Wag Tag, can you help us out and tell us when you heard Seth say that and where that other post you're referencing is? 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

12 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Bumping this for clarification and also beckoning @Brett Vito for assistance. Trying to search for the original poster of this statement as well... The question was did Mac just give a bunch of walk-on scholarships that we aren't aware of, for reference. 

ETA: Here's the original correspondence that I saw and calling on @Wag Tag for clarification.

He said:

Someone else asked how that could be and he stated:

@Wag Tag, can you help us out and tell us when you heard Seth say that and where that other post you're referencing is? 

Vito asked the question at the news con. on LOI's. Will see if I can find a hard copy.

Here is @BillySee58 possible explanation from the recruiting forum. Thought I'd re-post on here. 

The rule, as I've understood it, is that if a player spends less than two full seasons as a member of an FBS team as a walkon before being placed on scholarship then he has to count as an initial counter (re: part of the 25-max man class). Those four I just mentioned were on the team in 2012 as walkons, but were placed on scholarship prior to the 2013 season, thus requiring us to count them towards the next recruiting class (class of 2014).

So knowing this, the next year I anticipated we would have to count the players who spent 2013 as walkons but were placed on scholarship before the 2014 season towards the 2015 class. Those players were Andy Flusche, Erick Evans, Michael Banogu, Eric Keena, and Sheldon Wade. Five former walkons needing to count as initial counters.

However, Mccarney ended up signing a full 25-man recruiting class in 2015, which did not include any of those five former walkons. In short, if you're still following, maybe Mccarney was able to push those five former walkons back a class. Littrell signed 19 this class. If you add those five I mentioned then that would put us at 24 spots for the class, which would explain us only having one more open spot.

In short, Mccarney may have screwed us past his firing due to his awful roster management.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

I'm sure this could be answered by a quick call to the the Ticket Office.

It's this kind of thinking that will forever keep North Texas Athletics in a hole.
Why should WE have to call THEM?  Clearly Rick Villareal should personally be calling each one of us to explain, but he'll never do this because he's too busy taking the 17 out to Dave & Busters.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I don't believe that signing walk-ons to scholarships has anything to do directly with the 25 scholarships allowed each year.  However, it does have to do with the 85 total maximum allowable scholarships so at some point it is going to affect the number that you can sign each year.

G5s have to be cleverer and more adaptable to get the best possible talent on their rosters.  They've invented grayshirts and blueshirts for walk-ons to eliminate some of the risk-taking for marginal or late-blooming talent.  As Vito stated in his blog, it's almost impossible to keep up with who's on scholarship because of the constant change.  

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

I don't believe that signing walk-ons to scholarships has anything to do directly with the 25 scholarships allowed each year.  However, it does have to do with the 85 total maximum allowable scholarships so at some point it is going to affect the number that you can sign each year.

G5s have to be cleverer and more adaptable to get the best possible talent on their rosters.  They've invented grayshirts and blueshirts for walk-ons to eliminate some of the risk-taking for marginal or late-blooming talent.  As Vito stated in his blog, it's almost impossible to keep up with who's on scholarship because of the constant change.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7JsqmOk71g

Mccarney starts off this presser by explaining how we had to count those 4 former walkons (Kirby, Buyers, Macek, and Caldwell) towards the 2014 signing class.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's this kind of thinking that will forever keep North Texas Athletics in a hole.
Why should WE have to call THEM?  Clearly Rick Villareal should personally be calling each one of us to explain, but he'll never do this because he's too busy taking the 17 out to Dave & Busters.

Call them. After you get off hold and find out, let me know.

Talk to you next week...

• Downvote 3