Sidway: Darvin Kidsy worked out with football team amid potential felony charge

MeanGreenDan

10 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

He wasn't still in North Carolina when the warrant for Kidsy's arrest was issued on January 8th; nor on the 15th when he was arrested.

Also, it's 2016, not 1916.  Littrell has a twitter account, an e-mail account.  If he wanted to be really "old school," I'm sure the athletic department has a fax machine.  He is fully capable of making a statement about what happened and the current discipline and future discipline might be.

He's the head coach.  It's his player.  He needed to suspend Kidsy and keep him away from the team.  

Finally, everyone needs to drop the "he's a new coach" bit.  He played at the University of Oklahoma.  He's been at Texas Tech, Arizona, Indiana, and North Carolina.  He knows that coaches get out in front of these things, even if to say the cursory things that are always said.  He's not some wide-eyed babe in the woods.

He's a head coach,so he needs to drop the assistant coach posturing.  If he didn't want to be THE public face of the team - in good times and bad - he shouldn't have applied for the job.

So, RV wasn't the boss when Todd Dodge and Dan McCarney were here?

Maybe Littrell should have just be hired as recruiting coordinator if he can't handle all of the on and off field responsibilities of a head coach.  Perhaps, the recruiting coordinator for Emporia State, where we are currently picking off recruits.

It's concerning that many of you think a head football coach can't do two things at once.  And, making a simple statement, then telling the coaching staff, this player is suspended?  That's far easier than convincing a kid to come to Denton...even when it's only Emporia State he's battling.  Do you you honestly think that is too much for poor coach Littrell right now?  If so, it's a problem.

He really was more than likely still employed by UNC on the night of the incident. But by all means, let's everyone go Cecil the Lion/Bat Guano Crazy over an event that occurred before Mr. Littrell was employed by UNT.  He may well have been selling/renting his house/moving his household effects or driving his car from NC to TX on the 8th or the 15th.  Not sure where he was on those days.  Maybe the college football fairies were taking care of the mundane aspects of moving on his behalf.  Maybe RV and Dean Smatresk had chimed in regarding this particular matter and informed Mr. Littrell to stand down.  Maybe UNT90 is correct and Mr. Littrell assumed that this was going to be handled by RV and the athletic department.  Has the University commented yet?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Aigle Vert said:

He really was more than likely still employed by UNC on the night of the incident. But by all means, let's everyone go Cecil the Lion/Bat Guano Crazy over an event that occurred before Mr. Littrell was employed by UNT.  He may well have been selling/renting his house/moving his household effects or driving his car from NC to TX on the 8th or the 15th.  Not sure where he was on those days.  Maybe the college football fairies were taking care of the mundane aspects of moving on his behalf.  Maybe RV and Dean Smatresk had chimed in regarding this particular matter and informed Mr. Littrell to stand down.  Maybe UNT90 is correct and Mr. Littrell assumed that this was going to be handled by RV and the athletic department.  Has the University commented yet?

RV commented. Littrell did not. That means RV was handling the problem.

Except he didn't, and didn't even know what Kidsey was charged with. 

Just another blunder followed by a lie to try and cover by Rick Villarreal. 

Amazing that this guy is still employed at this point. He has to have naked pics of Lee Jackson. That really is the only explanation.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

RV commented. Littrell did not. That means RV was handling the problem.

Except he didn't, and didn't even know what Kidsey was charged with. 

Just another blunder followed by a lie to try and cover by Rock Villarreal. 

Amazing that this guy is still employed at this point. He has to have naked pics of Lee Jackson. That really is the only explanation.

It is quickly becoming apparent that the President is ok with lying and mediocrity.  I'm more upset with him than with RV. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, physics90 said:

It is quickly becoming apparent that the President is ok with lying and mediocrity.  I'm more upset with him than with RV. 

Or Ernie won't let him fire a close, personal friend...

Remember, Smatresk refused to give RV a vote of confidence and made sure the media knew about it. 

The donors and/or the BOR are the problem here. The big donors don't want RV gone and the BOR probably could give a crap one way or the other. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

13 hours ago, Aigle Vert said:

No.  He began working for UNT in December.  Quit making excuses for him. 

What will your excuse for him be when we're piling up losses in the fall?  He was doing yard work?  He has small children and has to help his wife look after them?  He was hanging curtains in the living room?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

5 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

No.  He began working for UNT in December.  Quit making excuses for him. 

What will your excuse for him be when we're piling up losses in the fall?  He was doing yard work?  He has small children and has to help his wife look after them?  He was hanging curtains in the living room?

Now I know you're just throwing mud balls out to see what sticks.  You really think coaches do yard work?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

Now I know you're just throwing mud balls out to see what sticks.  You really think coaches do yard work?

If we are losing again this fall, and it is apparent Littrell doesn't know what he's doing, this is a legitimate excuse for those who say he was moving, renting, still in NC, on the road instead of telling his S&C coach that the kid arrested for the felony a couple of weeks ago can't be around the team...or, even bothering to suspend the kid at all.

And, I said it once before, but it bears repeating now:  I'm not drinking any more kool-aid from any other coach.  Be a coach.  This "can't be bothered, he's doing other things" thing is baloney. 

He's the head coach, and better be able to juggle responsibilities.  The days of just showing up to draw up the offense and working with one group of kids is long gone.  For what he's being paid, he needs to at least act like a head coach.  

If he's not going to, let's go ahead and swap head coaches right now with Emporia State, since we're recruiting their players:  http://www.esuhornets.com/coaches.aspx?rc=261&path=football 

(And, yes, that the man looks like a grown up Garth Algar is a strong selling point to white recruits' parents.)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

If we are losing again this fall, and it is apparent Littrell doesn't know what he's doing, this is a legitimate excuse for those who say he was moving, renting, still in NC, on the road instead of telling his S&C coach that the kid arrested for the felony a couple of weeks ago can't be around the team...or, even bothering to suspend the kid at all.

And, I said it once before, but it bears repeating now:  I'm not drinking any more kool-aid from any other coach.  Be a coach.  This "can't be bothered, he's doing other things" thing is baloney. 

He's the head coach, and better be able to juggle responsibilities.  The days of just showing up to draw up the offense and working with one group of kids is long gone.  For what he's being paid, he needs to at least act like a head coach.  

If he's not going to, let's go ahead and swap head coaches right now with Emporia State, since we're recruiting their players:  http://www.esuhornets.com/coaches.aspx?rc=261&path=football 

(And, yes, that the man looks like a grown up Garth Algar is a strong selling point to white recruits' parents.)

I also think this issue would be worth reexamining next fall, whether we are losing or not (and I'm not really expecting a winning season next year).  What made me wonder about the original premise of your thread was the depiction of McCarney being the consistent disciplinarian that I don't think he always was.  My main reason for that was the incident involving a former player, who after leaving the team in the offseason, for what McCarney described as "personal issues", turned up in court months later to plead to an assault charge, which, according to one GMG member, resulted from him and another former player (already graduated, so probably no reason to expect any comment) brutally beat up some guy over on Fry Street bad enough that he had to be taken to the hospital.  Now, as I recall, McCarney dismissed the guy after the guilty plea, without comment.  It seems like, when he originally left the team, McCarney was quoted as saying he would be back, like whatever it was didn't amount to much.  Links:

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/20120929-unt-linebacker-pleads-no-contest.ece

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20120507-football-starting-lb-leaves-team-to-pursue-other-opportunities.ece

Was this just a case of McCarney having been misinformed by someone else?

Edited by eulessismore

50 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

McCarney did.  Saw him every Saturday out cleaning the yard up shirtless and all.  Then he would go for a forever long jog. Edit, outside of football season, and even then I think his wife did it to stay busy. 

Edited by GMG24

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

McCarney did.  Saw him every Saturday out cleaning the yard up shirtless and all.  Then he would go for a forever long jog. Edit, outside of football season, and even then I think his wife did it to stay busy. 

Yeah, really I guess I only said that after reading how our longtime head coach here, Steve Lineweaver, would have bags of fertilizer, mulch, whatever, stacked out in the yard during fb season, waiting for the playoffs to end.  Steve was another regular guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Did anything happen to that lying journalism dean who tried to get to officers fired?

Here is the UNT response:  “The university encourages others to have respectful discussion of the matter and attempt to see the situation from all points of view.”   It looks like the President is only a figurehead, not a leader.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Did anything happen to that lying journalism dean who tried to get to officers fired?

Bwaahahahahahahahahaha!  You must be kidding. 

2 hours ago, physics90 said:

Here is the UNT response:  “The university encourages others to have respectful discussion of the matter and attempt to see the situation from all points of view.”   It looks like the President is only a figurehead, not a leader.

Thank you.  In a nutshell, this response is what is wrong with many Universities.  You can't tell certain groups of people they are lying.  You have to let them lie and understand why they lied.

If they are not caught in their lie, you just have to understand that some people should lose their jobs because of the lie...and, not ask questions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1