Our Kinda Guys

Eagle-96

1 minute ago, rcade said:

I think we all knew the day Littrell was hired that his first recruiting class would be limited. How many weeks has he had to recruit, outside of the quiet period, from the day he was hired to signing day? He's going to need to overachieve in year one with the players he brings in and the players who returned.

Agreed. Hell, I was the one preaching this to people who didn't want to hear it. To posters who thought the 3 star bonanza and the Littrell fliporama was about to begin.

What I didn't expect was guys with no other offers being a good portion of the early class (if you can call one week before signing day early). Still time for surprises, but I sure wish they would start happening. 

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

What I didn't expect was guys with no other offers being a good portion of the early class (if you can call one week before signing day early). Still time for surprises, but I sure wish they would start happening. 

Why didn't you expect that?  If you were the new head coach here how would you entice players with other offers to come here right now?  Are there any G5 level schools in our geographical region that don't run a version of the spread offense?  it is little bit like dating.  When you have everything the next guy has but the other guy has the better reputation, then the other guy usually gets the girl.

20 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Why didn't you expect that?  If you were the new head coach here how would you entice players with other offers to come here right now?  Are there any G5 level schools in our geographical region that don't run a version of the spread offense?  it is little bit like dating.  When you have everything the next guy has but the other guy has the better reputation, then the other guy usually gets the girl.

Because the new coach at USM did better, because SMU's new coach did better. Hell, because Dan McCarney did better. Their first class. In the same short time frame.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The expectations created (through external forces OR internal forces) led some of us (i.e. me) to believe that he would be able to do unimaginable things (see:  flip 3-stars).  In a typical situation, expecting that would be logical.  In THIS situation, I (we?) momentarily abandoned logic and reason for [unreasonable] hopes.

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Because the new coach at USM did better, because SMU's new coach did better. Hell, because Dan McCarney did better. Their first class. In the same short time frame.

We aren't SMU nor USM better reputations a histories to work with.  Dan McCarney may have did better but he did it with a brand new stadium and athletic complex.  They are still very nice now but not brand new.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

We aren't SMU nor USM better reputations a histories to work with.  Dan McCarney may have did better but he did it with a brand new stadium and athletic complex.  They are still very nice now but not brand new.

And Litrell has a better conference to sell. Excuses. 

He needs to do better or his time as a head coach will be short. And I'm sure he knows that.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And Litrell has a better conference to sell. Excuses. 

He needs to do better or his time as a head coach will be short. And I'm sure he knows that.

A G5 conference is a G5 conference.  Not excuses just facts.  No one in the modern era of UNT football has recruited well here.  We have nothing unique at UNT to "recruit" to.  I am more concerned about Seth being able to get the most of the players he gets.  If he does that he will win and then get better recruits.  If there were no restriction on us "boosters" contacting recruits what would you say to a recruit with offers from SMU, La Tech, and UTSA to come to UNT?  

12 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

A G5 conference is a G5 conference.  Not excuses just facts.  No one in the modern era of UNT football has recruited well here.  We have nothing unique at UNT to "recruit" to.  I am more concerned about Seth being able to get the most of the players he gets.  If he does that he will win and then get better recruits.  If there were no restriction on us "boosters" contacting recruits what would you say to a recruit with offers from SMU, La Tech, and UTSA to come to UNT?  

There are several recruiting classes that would disagree with you. 

And we had a crappy stadium and facilities for the longest time. Not true anymore. A lot more to recruit to at UNT.

It will come down to whether Littrell and  his staff can get the job done.

Edited by UNT90