Players to Click in 2016

UNTLifer

I was looking through the roster of returning players and thought it would be fun to predict who each of us thinks will step up and be a contributor for us this year at each position.  Here's my take:

DB's: I think this could be a strength if Coach E-killer gets rid of the 10+ yard cushion our CB's usually play.  McClain and Gray are strong at S and with Buyers returning at CB along with Davis, Brooks and Preston, I think we could be really good if the d line provides some pressure.  My player to step up and surprise from the DB's is Andrew Jones.  I don't know why, but his height/length have intrigued me and I think he makes a move this year.

DE's:  Combs needs to step up big time and Dilonga and Roberts can be steady.  I think T. Johnson makes his move this year.

DT's:  An area of concern.  SC Wallace has to put forth the effort every play and become consistent and Roderick Young has to continue to improve.  My pick to click this year is Julius Combes.  I don't know why, but I have thought he was a steal ever since he decided to walk on last year.  He is 6-1 and 313 lbs. and comes from a good program at DeMatha in MD.  I also think T.J. will continue to improve and am curious about how Sid Moore will fit back in at his size.

LB's: I am not sure if we will see 2 or 3 on the field this year in our base set, but the three I look to really step up this year are Finney, Garner and McNair.  I know I am kind of cheating here picking three, but it is my list so deal with it.  I think Scott has maxed out his ability, Ellis and Minor are built more like safeties and Montgomery has been silent for his first two years.  The biggest improvement will be with Finney.

OL's:  My starting five, from Tackle to Tackle, are Murray, Barr, Kirby, Rice and Miles, but I actually like our depth here and expect Henson, Rentfro, Fortenberry, Sorge, Walker and Woodworth to provide solid depth.  Trussell and Sorge are the unknowns here.  I think the one that really improves this year is Murray.

QB: I am excited to have Morris on board, but I think Smith will step up and shine this year and provide a true dual threat.  Just a feeling, nothing solid to go on with that pick.  I think the surprise is that Shanbour becomes the third string QB.  Chumley and Means will be moved to DE/TE.  I would love to see Dillman given a shot, and maybe even Grimm.  I think those two are definitely better than Chumley and Means.

RB:  Wilson is the man and these next two years could be special Cobbs'/Thomas' type years if he stays healthy.  Ivery will provide a great change of pace and I would not be surprised to see him move to the slot/inside receiver position to get him on the field more.  I would love to see Rollins stay healthy all year and Ezzard was our surprise last year, but this year I think Andrew Tucker will step up and force Littrell and Harrell to find a place for him in the backfield.  Just a gut feeling.

TE:  How much is this utilized in Littrell's system?  Of the three currently listed, Reinhardt, Smith and Dilman, I think Dilman is the one to keep an eye on unless they move him back to QB.  Chumley, unless Harrell can fix all of his mechanical flaws, should be moved here asap and could be a force.

WR:  I think our 4 starters will be Goree, Smiley, Kidsy and Ivery.  This will probably change as I think Littrell prefers taller players at the outside WR position.  Bendy's measurables are intriguing, but I am not sure how much talent is there and Thompson should provide great depth, but I thought he was either underutilized and disappointing last year.  Hopefully it was just the JUCO Blues. The two players I think really step up and turn heads this year are Goree and Ivery.

There you go.  Take your shots, doesn't bother me at all, but post who you would choose as your players to click at each position next year.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I was looking through the roster of returning players and thought it would be fun to predict who each of us thinks will step up and be a leader/All-CUSA player at each position.  Here's my take:

DB's: I think this could be a strength if Coach E-killer gets rid of the 10+ yard cushion our CB's usually play.  McClain and Gray are strong at S and with Buyers returning at CB along with Davis, Brooks and Preston, I think we could be really good if the d line provides some pressure.  My player to step up and surprise from the DB's is Andrew Jones.  I don't know why, but his height/length have intrigued me and I think he makes a move this year.

DE's:  Combs needs to step up big time and Dilonga and Roberts can be steady.  I think T. Johnson makes his move this year.

DT's:  An area of concern.  SC Wallace has to put forth the effort every play and become consistent and Roderick Young has to continue to improve.  My pick to click this year is Julius Combes.  I don't know why, but I have thought he was a steal ever since he decided to walk on last year.  He is 6-1 and 313 lbs. and comes from a good program at DeMatha in MD.  I also think T.J. will continue to improve and am curious about how Sid Moore will fit back in at his size.

LB's: I am not sure if we will see 2 or 3 on the field this year in our base set, but the three I look to really step up this year are Finney, Garner and McNair.  I know I am kind of cheating here picking three, but it is my list so deal with it.  I think Scott has maxed out his ability, Ellis and Minor are built more like safeties and Montgomery has been silent for his first two years.  The biggest improvement will be with Finney.

OL's:  My starting five, from Tackle to Tackle, are Murray, Barr, Kirby, Rice and Miles, but I actually like our depth here and expect Henson, Rentfro, Fortenberry, Sorge, Walker and Woodworth to provide solid depth.  Trussell and Sorge are the unknowns here.  I think the one that really improves this year is Murray.

QB: I am excited to have Morris on board, but I think Smith will step up and shine this year and provide a true dual threat.  Just a feeling, nothing solid to go on with that pick.  I think the surprise is that Shanbour becomes the third string QB.  Chumley and Means will be moved to DE/TE.  I would love to see Dillman given a shot, and maybe even Grimm.  I think those two are definitely better than Chumley and Means.

RB:  Wilson is the man and these next two years could be special Cobbs'/Thomas' type years if he stays healthy.  Ivery will provide a great change of pace and I would not be surprised to see him move to the slot/inside receiver position to get him on the field more.  I would love to see Rollins stay healthy all year and Ezzard was our surprise last year, but this year I think Andrew Tucker will step up and force Littrell and Harrell to find a place for him in the backfield.  Just a gut feeling.

TE:  How much is this utilized in Littrell's system?  Of the three currently listed, Reinhardt, Smith and Dilman, I think Dilman is the one to keep an eye on unless they move him back to QB.  Chumley, unless Harrell can fix all of his mechanical flaws, should be moved here asap and could be a force.

WR:  I think our 4 starters will be Goree, Smiley, Kidsy and Ivery.  This will probably change as I think Littrell prefers taller players at the outside WR position.  Bendy's measurables are intriguing, but I am not sure how much talent is there and Thompson should provide great depth, but I thought he was either underutilized and disappointing last year.  Hopefully it was just the JUCO Blues. The two players I think really step up and turn heads this year are Goree and Ivery.

There you go.  Take your shots, doesn't bother me at all, but post who you would choose as your players to click at each position next year.

Was shocked Finney at Linebacker was not more of a factor especially after the scrimmage! Don't know if it was scheme or size? 

I'm going to try and throw out the guys we expect to produce for us, like Wilson, and find someone who emerges at each position.

CB: Brooks
S: Fernandes
LB: McNair
DE: Combs
DT: Young
OL: Miles (based on hope), Murray (based on expectation)
WR: Goree
TE: Dillman
RB: I expect to see a freshman signed in this class to get PT behind Wilson because I agree with you about moving Ivery to the slot.  One of the Chapel Hill boys could surprise here as well, but they need to be more durable.  Seems like one of them will be having a great game, then all-of-a-sudden, he gets hurt.
QB: Smith (based on hope), Freshman QB (if Morris doesn't work and Littrell wants to start building for the future).

1. I want to see what Darvin Kidsy can do in this offense. For the past three years I have been waiting for him to break-out and become a star. He just hasn't been able to put it together on offense. Just get the ball in his hands and let him do work.

2. Wilson can be a star if he embraces the role of a RB in the Air Raid. He will be looked upon to catch the ball at a much higher clip. He only caught 12 balls last year. He may top that in his first 2 games next year.

3. Kevin Dillman has the size and speed combination to be a beast at TE. Littrell uses the Tight End in his offense and Dillman could be a tough match-up for LB and S in coverage. 

4. Tre Johnson has the potential to be a stud in the return game and we saw some glimpses of that late last season. He is lightning quick and fearless which can't be taught. He may even see time in the slot. Just get the ball in his hands.

5. Trey Keenan has experience lining up in as an Air Raid OL and may get in the 2-deep quickly. Hasn't played in a year but his experience with the terminology and assignments may help him. I would like to see him bulk up though.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I was looking through the roster of returning players and thought it would be fun to predict who each of us thinks will step up and be a leader/All-CUSA player at each position.  Here's my take:

At CB, I think the coverage should depend on the players' qualities. I agree it was frustrating to play off man so predictably, but if none of our guys can play man, then we're out of luck. I think play calling should depend on the CBs abilities and situation (I mean, that almost seems like coachspeak, right?). I think Brooks will get better, Fernandes will grow, and we may see less Buyers.

At LB, I just don't know. I want to see Garner blow up. I'm a sucker for underdogs. McNair comes highly regarded so we should expect him to do improve the lineup.

OL: need them to be fast and athletic if we are going to be running a lot of RB screens. Have seen a flew glimmers from Rice and Murray in this regard.

WR: With Morris' ability to see the field, I expect a production spike from Goree. He was frequently beating his coverage waiting for footballs, which never came (more importantly) or were overthrown (off-target throws could still be an issue). Whoever our slot receiver is should see lots of production as well. Guys I want to see more of: Thaddeus, Bendy, Bradley. Behind Goree and Smiley, it should be open competition. A fast guy like Bradley would be a very good fit outside, especially with his acceleration.

TE: We might not have a Gronk, but Loving showed flashes of being a situational pass-catcher. If he and Dillman are able to find holes in zones, Morris has the ability to drop them in there. Our TEs have been criminally underused in the past. I think Littrell will rectify this.

RB: Ivery should be given more time in the screen game. Wasn't excited with what I saw from the other guys behind Ivery and Wilson. I am excited to see if Middleton can push Tucker and Co. as a true freshman.

5 minutes ago, Aldo said:

At CB, I think the coverage should depend on the players' qualities. I agree it was frustrating to play off man so predictably, but if none of our guys can play man, then we're out of luck. I think play calling should depend on the CBs abilities and situation (I mean, that almost seems like coachspeak, right?). I think Brooks will get better, Fernandes will grow, and we may see less Buyers.

At LB, I just don't know. I want to see Garner blow up. I'm a sucker for underdogs. McNair comes highly regarded so we should expect him to do improve the lineup.

OL: need them to be fast and athletic if we are going to be running a lot of RB screens. Have seen a flew glimmers from Rice and Murray in this regard.

WR: With Morris' ability to see the field, I expect a production spike from Goree. He was frequently beating his coverage waiting for footballs, which never came (more importantly) or were overthrown (off-target throws could still be an issue). Whoever our slot receiver is should see lots of production as well. Guys I want to see more of: Thaddeus, Bendy, Bradley. Behind Goree and Smiley, it should be open competition. A fast guy like Bradley would be a very good fit outside, especially with his acceleration.

TE: We might not have a Gronk, but Loving showed flashes of being a situational pass-catcher. If he and Dillman are able to find holes in zones, Morris has the ability to drop them in there. Our TEs have been criminally underused in the past. I think Littrell will rectify this.

RB: Ivery should be given more time in the screen game. Wasn't excited with what I saw from the other guys behind Ivery and Wilson. I am excited to see if Middleton can push Tucker and Co. as a true freshman.

Loving is gone, right?

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I was looking through the roster of returning players and thought it would be fun to predict who each of us thinks will step up and be a contributor for us this year at each position.  Here's my take:

All this talk about ivory what about wetherford? And a qb at defenseive end? Shame we lost the possibility of Chris riddle when Chico bailed I saw his film and I was impressed though HS film dose not a good collage qb pridict. He could contend for a job and start in 17.  You know what they say" if if's and and's were pots and pans there would be no work for tinkers."

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

I would bet most of these guys played man to man, and excelled at it in high school if they are playing D1 football.  Most likely was put on the best player to eliminate them.  It would be hard for a high school corner to get D1 attention playing the way UNT played.

I can't speak for every player, but Davis would definetly prefer to press and play man.  It was his specialty in high school and he was considered one of the top man to man cover corners in the greater houston area.  Some say he was the best.

I see a few fans are high on Preston, and he may emerge, but based on this past season, Brooks was the one that emerged.  It could change with a new coaching staff though.  Preston was the first one off the bench during the season.  Both young corners got beat at times, but I remember preston looking more lost, confused, and out of place.  They both started when davis was suspended for a game.  After that brooks emerged as the starter and got valuable experience.  Brooks is smaller, but he showed more confidence in my opinion.  Even when he got beat, he came right back and made plays.  Brooks also looked good and more comfortable when they finally started lining up closer.

I wouldnt count buyers out in the nickel.  Seems lIke a perfect spot for him and one that he wants to play.

I am certain the secondary will be just as happy with a coaching change as the offensI've players.

1 hour ago, Chris Drybread said:

All this talk about ivory what about wetherford? And a qb at defenseive end? Shame we lost the possibility of Chris riddle when Chico bailed I saw his film and I was impressed though HS film dose not a good collage qb pridict. He could contend for a job and start in 17.  You know what they say" if if's and and's were pots and pans there would be no work for tinkers."

What?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris Drybread said:

Where is weatherford in the reciver descusion ? Who would make a qb a defenseive end  and it's a shame Chris riddle ( qb prospect from Florida was attached to Chico .

What?

6 minutes ago, Chris Drybread said:

Yes I did mean Rutherford thank you. Why not him instead of a rb ?

whats to say he has means has any other traits in a DE upper body strength , lower body strength , explosoiveness and pass rush moves ? 

What?