MGB: Liberty QB Nick Starkel talks about UNT offer, plans

Brett Vito

27 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I think he will get the most playing time time right away if he picks UNT. 

I'm not so sure about that.  More than he would get at UCLA, certainly.  But if we get both Morris and Kincade, Morris would be a lock to start next year, and you'd have to think that Kincade would have a pretty clear edge the following year.  And who knows whether one or two of the multitude of QBs presently on the roster will develop into an FBS-caliber starting QB with some different coaching and a different system?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm not so sure about that.  More than he would get at UCLA, certainly.  But if we get both Morris and Kincade, Morris would be a lock to start next year, and you'd have to think that Kincade would have a pretty clear edge the following 2 years.  And who knows whether one or two of the multitude of QBs presently on the roster will develop into an FBS-caliber starting QB with some different coaching and a different system?

Kincaide will only have 1 year left after sitting a year because of transfer (if he even comes here) 

A little info on UCLA to help Nick make his decision ;):

Uncertainty with Head Coach (OC already left)
Jim Mora has been reportedly "trying hard" to get an NFL job (ironically enough, Kevin Sumlin is mentioned in the same tweet).  Mora has since confirmed his commitment to UCLA, but for how long is anyone's guess.

Josh Rosen, the 2015 #1 nationally-ranked QB (per Rivals, 24/7 Sports and Scout) started as a true Freshman and seems firmly entrenched as the Bruins QB for the next three years.  His 2015 stats, and a comment from Jim Mora:
  • Josh Rosen is a “generational” quarterback
UCLA already has one top-ranked (#20, per Rivals) QB committed for 2016 in Matt Lynch.

There have been several top UCLA commits to de-commit in the last few months: Oluwole Bituke, Sean Auwae, Chris Gaston and  Bailey Raborn

For me, personally, the deciding factor to not go to UCLA would be the proximity of TMZ reporters:

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Kincaide will only have 1 year left after sitting a year because of transfer (if he even comes here) 

You're right; I was thinking of English's situation as far as getting an extra year of eligibility.  I will edit that part.  But still, two years of sitting would not be "right away." 

I did include the "if" in my post.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm not so sure about that.  More than he would get at UCLA, certainly.  But if we get both Morris and Kincade, Morris would be a lock to start next year, and you'd have to think that Kincade would have a pretty clear edge the following 2 years.  And who knows whether one or two of the multitude of QBs presently on the roster will develop into an FBS-caliber starting QB with some different coaching and a different system?

I wouldn't call anyone a lock for next year. I think that Starkel has a better shot at starting sooner over the P5 schools, because that is seriously the realistic fact. We have no idea how Morris is going to play in practice. We think we have a guessing idea, because he's coming from a championship caliber program. Kincade wouldn't start until 2017, so you may bring up a good point. IF Morris takes the spot this year, and then Kincade takes the reigns next year, Starkel will be waiting as long as he would if he went to A&M or Yale possibly. I think he takes the job if he starts throwing bombs in the spring.

16 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

You're right; I was thinking of English's situation as far as getting an extra year of eligibility.  I will edit that part.  But still, two years of sitting would not be "right away." 

I did include the "if" in my post.

I think you're assuming an awful lot in thinking the QB position would be solidified (and not open for competition) for the next two years, even if both transfers do come to UNT.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, gangrene said:

I think you're assuming an awful lot in thinking the QB position would be solidified (and not open for competition) for the next two years, even if both transfers do come to UNT.  

Sure it would be open for competition.  The point being that Starkel is not going to be able to waltz in here and be handed the starting job from day one just because we're li'l ol' U.N.T.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I wouldn't call anyone a lock for next year. I think that Starkel has a better shot at starting sooner over the P5 schools, because that is seriously the realistic fact. We have no idea how Morris is going to play in practice. We think we have a guessing idea, because he's coming from a championship caliber program. Kincade wouldn't start until 2017, so you may bring up a good point. IF Morris takes the spot this year, and then Kincade takes the reigns next year, Starkel will be waiting as long as he would if he went to A&M or Yale possibly. I think he takes the job if he starts throwing bombs in the spring.

I still think if Smith truly sees this as his last chance and wants to prove he isn't a bust Elite11 guy, he'll soak up everything he can from Littrell & Harrell and give Morris (if he even shows) everything he can handle over the Spring... if not keep his job.
Unless we sign a guy like Starkel in this class, 2017's reigns would be firmly in the hands of Kincade if he wanted them.  We don't have anyone else to even pretend to challenge him on this roster right now.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I still think if Smith truly sees this as his last chance and wants to prove he isn't a bust Elite11 guy, he'll soak up everything he can from Littrell & Harrell and give Morris (if he even shows) everything he can handle over the Spring... if not keep his job.
Unless we sign a guy like Starkel in this class, 2017's reigns would be firmly in the hands of Kincade if he wanted them.  We don't have anyone else to even pretend to challenge him on this roster right now.

You know, I didn't even think about Smith. He still is in the picture too. I was just trying to get the point across that there isn't a lock into QB for next season. Littrell is far from being done recruiting and I think the staff is going to carefully evaluate this position, so that the best man goes into the SMU game this year. I don't think Littrell is going to be taking any favorites (based on what I have seen in his interviews) like Mac did with McNulty.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Sure it would be open for competition.  The point being that Starkel is not going to be able to waltz in here and be handed the starting job from day one just because we're li'l ol' U.N.T.

Completely understand your argument.  However, I respectfully disagree that Starkel wouldn't have a legitimate chance to start as a true Freshman.  "Handed the started the job" - no, hopefully those days are long gone.

Unlike Morris and Kincade, Starkel lacks experience at the college level.  But, neither Kincade nor Morris have started as a collegiate QB either.

While ratings services aren't always reliable, they do serve as a decent guide by which to gauge talent.  Starkel is ranked #15 in the NATION for "Pro-style QBs" in 2016 by Rivals.  Morris was ranked #30 in the same category in 2012 and Kincade was ranked #26 in that same category in 2013.

(Excuse me, but I will have re-read that paragraph numerous times…the thought of having THREE TOP 30 NATIONALLY-RANKED QBs at UNT at the same time is almost too much to believe.  If I’m dreaming, please don’t wake me.)

By comparison, Starkel would be our highest ranked QB and, apparently, he thinks he is as good or better than last year's #1 QB recruit or he wouldn't be considering UCLA.  So why wouldn't he be able to beat out Morris and Kincade.

-Gangrene

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, gangrene said:

Completely understand your argument.  However, I respectfully disagree that Starkel wouldn't have a legitimate chance to start as a true Freshman.  "Handed the started the job" - no, hopefully those days are long gone.

Unlike Morris and Kincade, Starkel lacks experience at the college level.  But, neither Kincade nor Morris have started as a collegiate QB either.

While ratings services aren't always reliable, they do serve as a decent guide by which to gauge talent.  Starkel is ranked #15 in the NATION for "Pro-style QBs" in 2016 by Rivals.  Morris was ranked #30 in the same category in 2012 and Kincade was ranked #26 in that same category in 2013.

(Excuse me, but I will have re-read that paragraph numerous times…the thought of having THREE TOP 30 NATIONALLY-RANKED QBs at UNT at the same time is almost too much to believe.  If I’m dreaming, please don’t wake me.)

By comparison, Starkel would be our highest ranked QB and, apparently, he thinks he is as good or better than last year's #1 QB recruit or he wouldn't be considering UCLA.  So why wouldn't he be able to beat out Morris and Kincade.

-Gangrene

He weighs a buck 85. Red shirt and beef him up.

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

He weighs a buck 85. Red shirt and beef him up.

He's a QB he doesn't need to be 230 pure muscle, he just needs a rocket arm.  A little extra muscle would be nice though. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gangrene said:

-Gangrene

To set the context, keep in mind that I was responding to a post which expressed the belief that Starkel would see more playing time right away at UNT than he would at any of his other 3 finalists.  Other than UCLA, I'm not so sure that's the case.  A&M has just lost both of their star QBs, so he could potentially compete for the starting job right away.  I don't know much about Yale's present QB situation, but I highly doubt that they have anyone on their roster with Starkel's credentials or skillset.

Morris may not have been the starter at Bama, but he has been groomed to a point where Bama was comfortable with the thought of him as starter--Saban supposedly preferred him as starter, but Kiffen wanted to go in another direction.  Maybe "lock" was a strong word, but if Morris is here for the spring, I can't imagine Starkel coming in for fall camp and beating him out.  You never know; but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Morris to start.

Beating out Kincade the next year?  Sure, that would be a possibility.  All I said was that Kincade would have the edge; which, with 3 years experience with Hugh Freeze and SEC PT under his belt is hard to dispute.

Again, all my point is is that he is not significantly more likely to start or see early playing time at NT than he would be at A&M or Yale.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

To set the context, keep in mind that I was responding to a post which expressed the belief that Starkel would see more playing time right away at UNT than he would at any of his other 3 finalists.  Other than UCLA, I'm not so sure that's the case.  A&M has just lost both of their star QBs, so he could potentially compete for the starting job right away.  I don't know much about Yale's present QB situation, but I highly doubt that they have anyone on their roster with Starkel's credentials or skillset.

Morris may not have been the starter at Bama, but he has been groomed to a point where Bama was comfortable with the thought of him as starter--Saban supposedly preferred him as starter, but Kiffen wanted to go in another direction.  Maybe "lock" was a strong word, but if Morris is here for the spring, I can't imagine Starkel coming in for fall camp and beating him out.  You never know; but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Morris to start.

Beating out Kincade the next year?  Sure, that would be a possibility.  All I said was that Kincade would have the edge; which, with 3 years experience with Hugh Freeze and SEC PT under his belt is hard to dispute.

Again, all my point is is that he is not significantly more likely to start or see early playing time at NT than he would be at A&M or Yale.

Yes.  
It's time to put away the assumption that just because a guy is offered here & offered at a P5 school, he will be able to start here immediately VS ride pine at the P5 school.   Plenty of players have proven that assumption wrong both ways... guys we were close to landing playing as freshmen @ P5 schools (see both Orr brothers) & guys riding pine here because someone is ahead of him (anyone remember David Busby with Trice & Lee ahead of him?).

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

At 6'3" 185 is pretty slim. Rocket arm is better than muscle!?

I found a baby pic Nick: d7ade8aaeda44bbe915b784c093dab798c1e8765

28 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I would love to see this "problem" play out.  It would be the most competitive QB competition we've had in a long time, if not ever.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, gangrene said:

-Gangrene

It would actually be 4 top 30 qbs. Damarcus Smith was the 12th ranked pro style qb by 247 back in 2011.

• Upvote 1

It's a nice nod to Littrell & the Staff, but Starkel isn't coming to UNT. I predict he'll be soaking up the rays in CA at UCLA. Don't blame him one bit, it's just the reality of the situation for a highly recruited Freshman when considering the current history of UNT football vs UCLA football. 

If there's anything NT needs badly, it's experience at the QB position. Someone that can contribute in the very near future. Kincade should be prime target #1 at this point.  Players like Kincade have already experienced the big time P5 atmosphere. Whatever their situation for transfer is, they can at least say "been there, done that." Starkel can't and I can tell you every kid in his position is anxious to do so. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

It's a nice nod to Littrell & the Staff, but Starkel isn't coming to UNT. I predict he'll be soaking up the rays in CA at UCLA. Don't blame him one bit, it's just the reality of the situation for a highly recruited Freshman when considering the current history of UNT football vs UCLA football. 

If there's anything NT needs badly, it's experience at the QB position. Someone that can contribute in the very near future. Kincade should be prime target #1 at this point.  Players like Kincade have already experienced the big time P5 atmosphere. Whatever their situation for transfer is, they can at least say "been there, done that." Starkel can't and I can tell you every kid in his position is anxious to do so. 

You mean he wouldn't play like a deer in the headlights when we roll into Kinnick for a revenge game?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You mean he wouldn't play like a deer in the headlights when we roll into Kinnick for a revenge game?

LOL. Anything is possible.  ?

When I mentioned big time P5 atmosphere, I'm not only referring to gameday. Life as an athlete at these big schools is just a little bit different than at schools in conferences like the SBC, MAC, CUSA, etc. 

Oh yeah, and thanks to whoever -1'd me over speaking the GD truth. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Downvote 1