Mean Green Vs. UTSA MBB (1/1/16)

chrisfisher

1 minute ago, DeepGreen said:

Someone must have lite a fire under their asses at halftime.

Haha, that's what I said!  Actually, I think my exact words were, "Do you mutha f'ers WANT me to get fired?!"

• Upvote 1

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Ja'Michael Brown had a career-high 21 points on Friday night, and North Texas opened the Conference USA season with a 70-66 win over Texas-San Antonio.

Brown scored all of his points during a 17-minute stretch that started in the final minute of the first half when the Mean Green (6-8) trailed 40-22. He started with a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to 15 before halftime and finished on a dunk with 4: 13 left to put North Texas up 63-53. The freshman finished 5 of 9 from 3-point range.

It was the Mean Green's first road victory of the season. Deckie Johnson added 18 points, Reese scored 15 and Jeremy Combs scored 12.

read more:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/01/01/brown-scores-21-north-texas-beat-texas-san-antonio-70-66/78196554/

Box Score

It's interesting -- Deckie Johnson seems to be on a roll heading into conference play with 18 tonight.  Brown and Reece are both starting out strong as true freshmen.  Brown had a career high 21 3 assists and a steal.   Brice had 11 boards and a block.

Nice way to open conference play...and on the road as well.  The "youngsters"... Like Brice may well have "grown up a bit" in this game...11 boards by Brice is really good to see.  This kid loves to play, you can see it in his face and expressions during every game, and as he matures into Division 1 BB he is going to be fun to watch.  Deckie Brown seems to be stepping it up as well.  Jeremy Combs hitting both those late free throws was huge.  At the women's game yesterday, after the women missed a couple of free throws in a row, one fan sitting by me yelled "you ladies learning to shoot free throws from the men"...or something like that...pretty funny, and then Jeremy, who has been struggling at the line this season from game to game, it's a couple of big ones late to help seal the road win for the Mean Green.  Great to see this team come out of the lockeroom after half-time and mount this comeback win.  

Now, do I expect this team to go into El Paso and do the same in front of most likely a very large home crowd?  Nope, but at least they have shown some road toughness and the "want to" to mount such a comeback effort.  UTEP is good and they are extra tough at home.  But, it is basketball and anything can happen...like the Okie State ladies taking down Baylor recently...or the Mean Green men coming back from 15 down at half on the road to beat The Roadrunners.

Nice job guys!  See you at home!  Beat UTEP!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Inching closer to that magical .500 contract extension. 

I doubt he gets a contract extension even if the team finishes the season at .500.  This team has yet to defeat a team with a winning record.

North Texas has 17 games left to win 10 games to finish at 16-15.