How should the new coach handle the QB position?

BillySee58

At the end of a 1-11 season we play two QBs who will have eligibility left. Both will be seniors next year. One, Damarcus Smith, goes 3-13 in yet another start where he shows sub-D1 accuracy and failed to really stake claim to a job he had every chance to. The other throws a pick six in his only pass. Second pick six of the year for the third string QB who really has yet to do anything in his career with ample chances. Then you have Means and Chumley who really haven't shown anything or even pushed those QBs that went 1-11.

Should the new coach give Dillman, a QB who was actually highly recruited to play QB, a chance? Will the new coach bring in a juco QB? Does he go the grad transfer route or does he opt to play players who will actually have eligibility going forward? Start a true freshman, with most freshman already being committed?

It's going to be a tough one. Old staff didn't do the new coach many favors here.

• Upvote 2

I would see a diamond in the rough miracle Juco qb as our best option short term if possible. Start recruiting strong quarterbacks and building them and we may have to duct tape it together for a few years still. 

• Upvote 1

Mullens was a 2-star recruit with only other offer being UAB. I think you're more likely to find a diamond in the rough from high school than JuCo. At least that's my perception after seeing Smith and Greer. 

I agree here. The main reason is because the juco football programs get really good exposure. If they have subpar offer lists, it's not because only a few schools had the chance to evaluate them. Plenty of good QBs who play for low-exposure high schools. Gotta find the ones who are FBS quality.

• Upvote 1

We're in a big hole here. We have to get creative in cobbling together a respectable passing game next season. We can't expect a true freshman to handle the job, and a Juco QB is a crap shoot. We need to look elsewhere...

We need to lure a top QB from the FCS.

KD Humphries

KD Humphries the Jr. QB at Murray State threw for 3778 yards and 22 TDs so far this season. He is 6'3" 225.

Won't have to sit and can practice and play right away

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2

Sign a December juco THAT CAN PLAY SPRING BALL.

sign at least two high school QB's.

bring in a UNC/TCU/P5 stud  transfer that will sit out a year.

I'll be interested to see if the new coach can get an actually good juco QB to come in here for spring on such short notice. He definitely should try. If we get Meacham, I would wonder about Foster Sawyer. Kenny Hill is likely to be the guy there the next two years. Of course Sawyer would have to sit out a year, so it's far from a slam dunk.

• Upvote 1

We're in a big hole here. We have to get creative in cobbling together a respectable passing game next season. We can't expect a true freshman to handle the job, and a Juco QB is a crap shoot. We need to look elsewhere...

We need to lure a top QB from the FCS.

KD Humphries

KD Humphries the Jr. QB at Murray State threw for 3778 yards and 22 TDs so far this season. He is 6'3" 225.

pretty sure there are strong safeguards put in place to stop FBS teams from "luring" anyone in the FCS ranks.

At the end of a 1-11 season we play two QBs who will have eligibility left. Both will be seniors next year. One, Damarcus Smith, goes 3-13 in yet another start where he shows sub-D1 accuracy and failed to really stake claim to a job he had every chance to. The other throws a pick six in his only pass. Second pick six of the year for the third string QB who really has yet to do anything in his career with ample chances. Then you have Means and Chumley who really haven't shown anything or even pushed those QBs that went 1-11.

Should the new coach give Dillman, a QB who was actually highly recruited to play QB, a chance? Will the new coach bring in a juco QB? Does he go the grad transfer route or does he opt to play players who will actually have eligibility going forward? Start a true freshman, with most freshman already being committed?

It's going to be a tough one. Old staff didn't do the new coach many favors here.

Well, once when I was foolishly trying to major in music at then NTSU's fabulous music school, I was fortunate to have one of the music teachers inform me that I didn't really have the talent for that, and that I should look for another major.  Within the next few days I found out about geography, and started on a career path at which I can actually earn a living, Geographic Information Systems.

It might be helpful for the new coach to inform one or more of those listed as playing that position on the roster in a somewhat similar fashion, that they really don't have the talent for that at this level.  I am not sure whether or not that should be done before the new coach starts making calls on high school coaches as to who they would recommend who is not already firmly committed; partly because I do not know the timing of when coaches have to observe a "silent period" of not contacting prospective student athletes (but I'm pretty sure that is sometime in December).

Once those needing to be reassigned or leave the program have been informed of that, and some quarterback recruits have been signed, there could be a period of looking at the roster as to whether such actions as moving Dillman to qb, or looking at those originally signed at qb but not yet having seen the field should be given a look.  I just think developing the position in whatever way needs to receive early and continuous attention by the new regime.

• Upvote 1

Sign a December juco THAT CAN PLAY SPRING BALL.

sign at least two high school QB's.

bring in a UNC/TCU/P5 stud  QB transfer that will sit out a year.

Like all of these, but let's find a QB who is graduating and still has a year of eligibility left as a Grad student. Come in to help us settle down as a new QB comes along.

As for Smith - move him to WR or RB

pretty sure there are strong safeguards put in place to stop FBS teams from "luring" anyone in the FCS ranks.

Pretty sure if you move up you have to sit, unless he is graduating and has eligibility left and comes in as a Grad student

Let Meacham/Litrrell hire Brad Smiley from TVCC as his OC. Smiley can bring QB Jerod Evans. Problem solved. 

The first question is can either one of those candidates fix Smith. If they believe you can then it buys you time.

Secondly can either one of those guys steal a HS recruit away from some other school with the chance to play early.

We need to find a GS or JUCO who can come in the spring and compete right away.

• Upvote 2