Final week before a new Head Football Coach

NorthTexan95

We're hopefully one week away from hiring a new football coach.  In fact, the person could already have agreed to the hire and we could hear the name leak out before next Monday.  I would almost expect it to leak out before hand (perhaps as early as this week) if it's one of the bigger names like Briles, Jinks, or Meacham.  If we're not ready with an announcement next week I'll be extremely disappointed and agitated because I'm impatient.  

I'm ready for the off-season to begin in earnest.

I'm ready to hire new assistant coaches (and maybe keep one or two of the current ones).

I'm ready to read about changes a new coach is making in off season training.

I'm ready to look at recruiting especially for new offensive and defensive systems.

I'm ready to look at who might transfer to us from a school the new coaches are coming from.

I'm ready for quarterbacks to be recruited and maybe transfer in who can give us hope for quality play.

I'm ready for spring ball.

I'm ready for (hopefully) OPEN fall practices.

I'm ready for the excitement heading into the opening game of 2016.

However, I am not ready for our team to struggle mightily next season ... but that's not for another ten months.   I'll take all the positive vibes heading into next season I can get.  As a fan base we need that.  

I get your impatience and excitement but I'm not convinced we're going to get a hire that soon. If it makes you feel better, take solace in the lesson contained in the story of the old bull and the young bull. If you haven't heard it, the young bull says to the old bull "Look at all those pretty heifers in the valley. Let's run down there and service one right now!". The wise old bull says "Son, let's walk down there and service them all!". Patience...all will clear up in due time.

• Upvote 2

I know everyone is excited to find out the who the new coach is.. I expect if it is Briles, or someone at that level the earliest we will hear is December 7th?  Need the regular season to conclude for all teams.  This way any departure does not effect games the next week. This would allow for planning on both sides.  If we are hiring a FCS or just a position coach it is possible we hear something next week.

• Upvote 1

I know everyone is excited to find out the who the new coach is.. I expect if it is Briles, or someone at that level the earliest we will hear is December 7th?  Need the regular season to conclude for all teams.  This way any departure does not effect games the next week. This would allow for planning on both sides.  If we are hiring a FCS or just a position coach it is possible we hear something next week.

Well, crap.  You make a good point. 

Briles, Applewhite, or 90's man crush would be the only ones that would have to wait til December. Thomsen, Mike Norvell, Jinks, Meacham, Cumbie, Horton, and Riley end their regular seasons this Saturday.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not to put a damper on anything but we didn't hear about Dodge until I believe December 10th so patience is a virtue. This week will probably entail a few leaks of names. We could see a name as early as Saturday night and as late as mid December.

But didn't we hear about Mac in November? I agree with you on the time frame, I am definitely not holding my breath for UNT to announce the head coach for sure next week.

But didn't we hear about Mac in November? I agree with you on the time frame, I am definitely not holding my breath for UNT to announce the head coach for sure next week.

The Mac press conference was on November 30th which was the Tuesday after the last game of our season. I think the name leaked on the night of the last game of the season though. If memory serves me I think Urban Meyer was asked about the rumor in his post game presser or possibly Sunday the 28th.

Briles, Applewhite, or 90's man crush would be the only ones that would have to wait til December. Thomsen, Mike Norvell, Jinks, Meacham, Cumbie, Horton, and Riley end their regular seasons this Saturday.

So he is my man crush after Cerebus exposed your complete lack of research on Fritz?

Ok.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He was your man crush before, during, and after but I love you anyway. You're what keeps bringing me back to the board.

Well...thanks for letting the rest of us know who you think is the prettiest girl in town.

• Upvote 1

We're hopefully one week away from hiring a new football coach.  In fact, the person could already have agreed to the hire and we could hear the name leak out before next Monday.  I would almost expect it to leak out before hand (perhaps as early as this week) if it's one of the bigger names like Briles, Jinks, or Meacham.  If we're not ready with an announcement next week I'll be extremely disappointed and agitated because I'm impatient.  

I'm ready for the off-season to begin in earnest.

I'm ready to hire new assistant coaches (and maybe keep one or two of the current ones).

I'm ready to read about changes a new coach is making in off season training.

I'm ready to look at recruiting especially for new offensive and defensive systems.

I'm ready to look at who might transfer to us from a school the new coaches are coming from.

I'm ready for quarterbacks to be recruited and maybe transfer in who can give us hope for quality play.

I'm ready for spring ball.

I'm ready for (hopefully) OPEN fall practices.

I'm ready for the excitement heading into the opening game of 2016.

However, I am not ready for our team to struggle mightily next season ... but that's not for another ten months.   I'll take all the positive vibes heading into next season I can get.  As a fan base we need that.  

I can't wait to spend eight months speculating about shades of green and the shapes of birds on helmets.

• Upvote 3

I don't see Briles coming to North Texas.  I see Lincoln Riley coming before Briles. 

But my wife frequently reminds me that I'm "just wrong."

GO MEAN GREEN

Both might be good.  But, if we could get Riley, that would make my day.  He is my number 1.  What he did with ECU and even OU, i would be very happy if he were here. 

• Upvote 3

So many good options to lead the program. applewhite, cumby, briles would all be great hires IMO but really the AD is the more important thing to address. Unt is in a prime situation to have a great athletic program. Denton sits perfectly in one of the if not the hottest recruiting spots in the nation. We have to show a commitment to getting more out of the sports teams because as men's football and basketball goes, it's embarrassing 

It's likely Briles, I assume.  It's gonna be a new era sans the AD.  I'm excited about that.

I truly hope you are right about that! Briles could do more for North Texas in two years than others have done in the past ten. Could make for an interesting recruiting year also? If Kendall Briles is announced as the new North Texas Head Coach, My faith in RV may be partially restored. One step at time though. RV...HIRE THE MAN!

GMG 

• Upvote 1