The case for coach Canales

ABrownGMG

Harry never said he couldn't play. The point is that we signed 10 QBs while Canales was here (Teagarden, Jones, Mcnulty, Osborn, Williams, Berglund, Means, Greer, Chumley, Smith), and those guys have combined for 5 wins. Those three Harry mentioned have combined for 1 win, and it was Greer against SMU in a game where he only threw 11 passes. 

He didn't say they sucked, or anything like that. But when the 10 QBs you sign have 5 wins combined, and you're in year 6 as OC/QB coach, you have not done your job adequately. A huge part of that is on Mac too, but that's why he's gone, and Canales is going to follow him shortly. It was Chico's offense, he had to find his guy, and he never did.

But we won one game, Billy.

I mean, that deserves a 5 year contract.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

Teegarden wasn't recruited to play QB, he was recruited as an athlete. It was deemed best that he play at receiver. Andy Mac and Coop competed to see who would stay at QB and who would switch positions, guess who won that battle? 

Williams wasn't given a real chance, but he mostly did that to himself. Chumley isn't a QB, he's a TE. Just because you play QB in high school, doesn't mean that's what you are. And Means is a freshmen, I wouldn't count out that kid being the real deal at some point.

Teegarden and Chumley were both officially announced as QB signings for their respective signing classes. That is what I'm going off of. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

You're right, I should be more civil. I just find a lot of what you have to say, about most things, to be very negative and hateful, and it frustrates me. I apologize, I love that you actually care enough to support this school, I do the same. But I'm going to support this university whether they hire the guy that I know is best or they don't, just like I did five years ago when I feel this university made a huge mistake. I love this school, wouldn't change a minute of my time here, and I will always be a proud Mean Greener. I just think Chico is the best man for the job, we differ on that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Can I sell tickets? Proceeds will go to the FireRick Fund or the MGC in the event he abdicates.

There aren't enough of us to fight each other, we need to support each other, not get angry with each other, 90 is right.

I'll see you all in a few weeks, to see this season end on a positive not. The only beat down will be the Mean Green beating down UTEP.

• Upvote 3

Could it be that you might be just a little too close to the situation to see the forest for the trees? 

Its clear that you like the man and most likely coached on the offensive side of the ball. I've heard the exact opposite from people close to the defensive side of the ball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

There aren't enough of us to fight each other, we need to support each other, not get angry with each other, 90 is right.

I'll see you all in a few weeks, to see this season end on a positive not. The only beat down will be the Mean Green beating down UTEP.

From your lips to God's ears! GMG.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Could it be that you might be just a little too close to the situation to see the forest for the trees? 

Its clear that you like the man and most likely coached on the offensive side of the ball. I've heard the exact opposite from people close to the defensive side of the ball.

To be honest, Chico is the outsider in a group of Mac guys, so take that with a grain of salt.

Other than that, I am way too close to the situation, because I KNOW the man, and I know this school, I want what is best for both. He cares about this place, he really does. My opinion is biased, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. 

And I am going to leave it at that, I think Chico would be the best HC at North Texas. And that will be the last I say of it....on a positive note, MEAN GREEN WIN and the whiny orange get shut out :)

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I still haven't seen a legit reason to support chico other than he is a cool dude.

Is the team playing better?  We just beat a horrible team and our offense is still bad.  Our defense looks a little better against a bad QB.  

I need something to analyze to support chico.  If we beat mtsu and utep, then we might have something.

There is no evidence of improved coaching or playcalling.  Give me some recruiting examples or player development examples.  

Everyone on this board would have started demarcus and threw in the youngsters, that doesn't mean we can be head coach.

• Upvote 3

I still haven't seen a legit reason to support chico other than he is a cool dude.

Is the team playing better?  We just beat a horrible team and our offense is still bad.  Our defense looks a little better against a bad QB.  

I need something to analyze to support chico.  If we beat mtsu and utep, then we might have something.

There is no evidence of improved coaching or playcalling.  Give me some recruiting examples or player development examples.  

Everyone on this board would have started demarcus and threw in the youngsters, that doesn't mean we can be head coach.

Exactly, I was just about to post about us not getting to emotional on the guy over one win. He definitely knows how to motivate the players, but we are talking about the future of North Texas Football here... One win against a backup QB and a team that is experiencing their own great depression isn't a cause for us to hire Chico.....

Edited by GreenTexan13

There is no case for Canales. The story is closed. He doesnt want to be the HC here and the administration doesnt want him either. Its hard to imagine UNT paying Canales 900K to 1.5 million. 

Its really becoming clear that nobody has any idea as to what Canales can be attributed here during his time at North Texas.

If he was the outsider and he was denied by Mac at every turn, why stay? He has plenty of contacts in the coaching world, why not go some where else where he would be appreciated. 

I appreciate what he has done. He is a great motivator, and great person, but he isnt the right fit for North Texas. 

He wont change recruiting. It wont change how others view UNT. 

Its time to move on from this.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Twice Mike Canales has taken over a dejected team, infused them with energy and come out with wins (at least one so far this time). I think he should be given a shot because (a) it's the right thing to do, and (b) he's shown he can win.

A.  It's the right thing for Chico...   It's not the right thing for the University of North Texas.

b.IT'S FREAKING UTSA!!!      UTSA has the same record as North Texas!!    We beat a team at the VERY BOTTOM of the barrel.   C'mon people!  Get it together.  The win VS UTSA proves NOTHING!    YOU GET NOTHING!!

you-get-nothing-o.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Canales won't be at UNT next season. Beat LA Tech is all that matters right now. Win for the school, the players and the seniors. 

well put!  I want nothing more than Canales to use this opportunity to both of our best advantage for the future. It's a win win proposition.  I admire him greatly for his efforts.

To the Chico as coach haters (I'm basically on the fence), would he be good enough for consideration if we could somehow flash back a dozen years after he just finished a very successful stint as offensive coordinator at South Florida? Just wondering, because some of the coordinator suggestions I've been seeing really don't have much better resumes (other than TX ties) than what he had back at that time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Twice Mike Canales has taken over a dejected team, infused them with energy and come out with wins (at least one so far this time). I think he should be given a shot because (a) it's the right thing to do, and (b) he's shown he can win.

he is 3-5.

Good Lord.

There is usually a bump in wins when a interim takes over.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

All the geniuses are over 500 miles away.  If we finish strong (beat MT and LaTech and UTEP) give Canales a short contract and see what happens.  Much of his problems came from the top down from the genius from over 500 miles away who would not budge and took himself and the team down with him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1