If you're the AD who do you hire as HC? Make your case.

casual fan

If you were the AD who would you pick as the next head coach.    Pick one guy and make your case.

My pick would be Everett Withers.

He has coached in Texas.        3 years at UT

He has coached in the NFL.     6 years with the Tennessee Titans & before that 1 year with the Saints

He was DC for UNC from 2008-2011.

He became interim HC in June 2011 while UNC looked for a new HC.  He went 7-5 and took them to the Independence Bowl.

After UNC hired a permanent HC, he became assistant HC & DC at Ohio St. from 2012 (12-0) to 2013 (12-2).

He took a huge pay cut to become HC of James Madison in 2014.  It's reported that he makes about $325,000 down from the $585,000 he made at Ohio St.  

So, he seriously wants to be a HC and at 52 he has another 15 years or so of coaching ahead.

He went 9-4 last year and is 7-2 this year at James Madison..

If you were the AD who would you pick as the next head coach.    Pick one guy and make your case.

My pick would be Everett Withers.

He has coached in Texas.        3 years at UT

He has coached in the NFL.     6 years with the Tennessee Titans & before that 1 year with the Saints

He was DC for UNC from 2008-2011.

He became interim HC in June 2011 while UNC looked for a new HC.  He went 7-5 and took them to the Independence Bowl.

After UNC hired a permanent HC, he became assistant HC & DC at Ohio St. from 2012 (12-0) to 2013 (12-2).

He took a huge pay cut to become HC of James Madison in 2014.  It's reported that he makes about $325,000 down from the $585,000 he made at Ohio St.  

So, he seriously wants to be a HC and at 52 he has another 15 years or so of coaching ahead.

He went 9-4 last year and is 7-2 this year at James Madison..

I don't see Withers coming here, I see him staying out in the east coast. Not saying that I wouldn't want him. I think he's a long shot and doesnt meet the criteria that they're currently looking for.  

Willie Fritz: The man has won at all levels, Texas Coach, leading Ga Southern from transitional FBS to full member and already winning 8+ games a year

He is a WINNER!

I see Fritz taking over Houston if Herman leaves.

Major Applewhite

As a player, he was undersized but showed guts and determination while be on the Horns' roster at the same time as Chris Simms, son of a NFL legend.   No quit in him and he's up for a challenge.  Set a whole lot of records at UT, most of which have been surpassed, but still.  Wasn't biggest, strongest, fastest recruit, not highly touted, won't come here and say it's slowest, smallest team he's ever seen, but rather coach em up.  Will fight through adversity.

Bill Belichick signed him as a UDFA and Nick Saban made him his first OC at Bama.  Stamp of approval from arguably best coaches at pro & college level.

Strong Texas  ties

Has a strong passing & rushing attack in Houston.

Houston QB Ward has said great things about him, seems like he could be a great QB developer, game is all about the QB.

Appears to be a player's coach

Currently making $300,000 would offer $900,000 and triple his pay.

I've been told he could put together a strong staff. 

Running a spread/up-tempo offense in Houston based around power run-game. 

Reportedly applied for SMU job, wants to be a coach.

Think he could put together a respectable recruiting class in a short amount of time.

• Upvote 1

Chris Tomsen

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=207911673

Played college Football and Baseball at TCU..(played pro baseball then finished his college eligibility as a stellar tightend at Abilene Christian)

Has coached both sides of the line but has had phenomenal success recruiting and developing top O line talent in Texas.

Has served as an O coordinator.  His team at ACU put up record crazy yards and scored 90 plus points in one game.

Has coached and played at the high school and college level so he's firmly grounded with Texas talent and Texas HS coaches.

A four time Lone Star Conference Coach of the Year winner.

Anyone who can do what he did in Abilene Texas, building a national D2 powerhouse out of nothing and placing several players into the NFL is someone special in my book.

He's affordable.  Although our negotiator won't take this into account..being given the ok to now spend like a drunken sailor on leave, Tomsen is affordable and would surely be interested in coming back home to complete his retirement for what we are willing to pay.

Rick

• Upvote 3

But regardless of who I hired...if I were the AD...I wouldn't throw the bank at them.  I'd structure their contract so that they earn their money, giving out large incentives  rather than giving someone the bank simply because we are WOWED and impressed about their past accomplishments.

Plus...I'd do what I'm hearing Western Kentucky does.  Should our coach succeed to the point a P5 program hires them away his contract will have a requirement in the buyout process that said P5 school agrees to a Home and Home with North Texas.  

If my candidate won't agree to these terms he can go on his way and I'll offer it to my next in line.m

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5

But regardless of who I hired...if I were the AD...I wouldn't throw the bank at them.  I'd structure their contract so that they earn their money, giving out large incentives  rather than giving someone the bank simply because we are WOWED and impressed about their past accomplishments.

Plus...I'd do what I'm hearing Western Kentucky does.  Should our coach succeed to the point a P5 program hires them away his contract will have a requirement in the buyout process that said P5 school agrees to a Home and Home with North Texas.  

If my candidate won't agree to these terms he can go on his way and I'll offer it to my next in line.m

Rick

Yes, please. 

TBH, I don't care who it is a long as we win .That's my argument, just win. 

Chris Tomsen

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=207911673

Played college Football and Baseball at TCU..(played pro baseball then finished his college eligibility as a stellar tightend at Abilene Christian)

Has coached both sides of the line but has had phenomenal success recruiting and developing top O line talent in Texas.

Has served as an O coordinator.  His team at ACU put up record crazy yards and scored 90 plus points in one game.

Has coached and played at the high school and college level so he's firmly grounded with Texas talent and Texas HS coaches.

A four time Lone Star Conference Coach of the Year winner.

Anyone who can do what he did in Abilene Texas, building a national D2 powerhouse out of nothing and placing several players into the NFL is someone special in my book.

He's affordable.  Although our negotiator won't take this into account..being given the ok to now spend like a drunken sailor on leave, Tomsen is affordable and would surely be interested in coming back home to complete his retirement for what we are willing to pay.

Rick

This...

But, in reality. the current AD isn't going to get this right--he has more than proven that in the last 15 years. To argue otherwise is to either be one of the UNT 17 or BOR that holds this place hostage or just being a pure Mean Green Homer.