GA Southern vs App State on ESPNU Tonight

LongJim

Georgia Southern lost their first Sun Belt game since joining the league tonight 31-13 playing at App State.

In an odd way that's good for us.

North Texas is very familiar with Willie Fritz, his background, and how well his credentials match the qualities that we are looking for. This loss, and the likelihood that Georgia Southern may not repeat as Sun Belt champions, will probably make him less attractive to some of the other schools that we could be competing with for his services.

• Upvote 5

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10274731/willie-fritz-named-coach-georgia-southern-eagles

Fritz would bring an option attack to UNT most likely. However it wouldnt be like the Georgia Tech attack. He would spread the field. I do know he would throw the ball more then he has GSU. I think Fritz could mold an explosive offense with the pieces here. 

"We're more of a shotgun, pistol-type option team."

"70% of what we do in the running game, all off the inside zone."

"In over 22 years as a head coach, we've won over 91% of our games when we had one more yard rushing (than our opponent)," Fritz, 54, told USA TODAY Sports. "We set our offense up to be able to run the ball effectively, and our defense to stop people from running the ball."

Fritz has stated during his time a Georgia Southern that he would like to be able to have around 15-20 pass plays each game.  The Eagles problem is that they are just not very good in the passing game.  Eagle fans know this and i am sure Fritz is doing his best to try an improve the Eagles passing game.

Fritz has stated during his time a Georgia Southern that he would like to be able to have around 15-20 pass plays each game.  The Eagles problem is that they are just not very good in the passing game.  Eagle fans know this and i am sure Fritz is doing his best to try an improve the Eagles passing game.

Yeah, that seemed like their problem.  App State was also able to whip the GS offensive line pretty regularly, and that killed their running game.  Game over.

Damn, a whole 15-20 passes? 

Whoa that's low...time to check the internets beep boop beep boop

Let's see,

• 2014 at GS, 12.9 passes per game. Ew (by the numbers, their QB is meh)
  • 2013 at SHSU, 23.8 att/g (outscoring opps 41.1-27.6 on avg)
  • 2012 at SHSU, 22.3 (outscoring opps 40-21.5 on avg)
  • 2011 at SHSU, 18.3 (outscoring opps 36.9-14.9)

Our more "conservative" offense from 2011-2014 (pass attempts/game): 28.9, 31.3, 30.9, 27.6.

I don't know much about Fritz, but from what I hear it's a low passing, but I assume high option offense?