A look at 6 potential candidates for UNT's vacancy

Harry

We probably need two different threads one to discuss retread candidates and another to discuss up and coming coaches.  That being said, i think the retread list needs to be very short.   

1. Mack Brown (you have to offer him 2 million per year and beg)

2. Turner Gill (a getable retread with invaluable NFL experience)

3. Houston Nutt (only because he is local)

I saw Brady Hoke mentioned but unfortunately UNT is a very unique place where knowledge of the Texas football landscape is an absolute must.  If Dan would have hired a Major Applewhite to help with recruiting or better yet a Todd Dodge I think things might have been different.

PS: If you hire Mack you could promise to keep RV out of his way and have Mack take his job when RV contract is up.

Stop, please stop.  UNT has some money, but not 2 mill to pay an AD. Turner Gill couldnt do anything in Kansas, what makes you think he will do well at UNT? Gill is 3-4 and 0-2 in conference right now.. Why do you keep on picking coaching that are exactly like Mac? Nutt isnt the guy you want.

• Upvote 4

Stop, please stop.  UNT has some money, but not 2 mill to pay an AD. Turner Gill couldnt do anything in Kansas, what makes you think he will do well at UNT? Gill is 3-4 and 0-2 in conference right now.. Why do you keep on picking coaching that are exactly like Mac? Nutt isnt the guy you want.

Houston Nutt may be somewhat like Dan Mac with experience in a location closer to UNT.   Mack Brown head coached in 2 national championship games and should have been in a 3rd if garbage tie breaking Big 12 rules and the BCS didn't screw the Longhorns.  Dan Mac doesn't have NFL experience like Turner Gill either.  But is all pointless to debate seriously with RV here.  Only desperate coaches with no options are going to come here now with RV as AD.   Any agent for a coach or a coach that does research himself will find out what is going on here and pass.  UNT is going to have to overpay a coach that doesn't really want to come here.  With so many jobs open right now; will be about 20+ Coordinator positions coaches would take over HC position at UNT not even to mention HC positions at other FBS and FCS schools.  If RV is next year I am done.  Not only with that but with gomeangreen.com cause it become a pointless exercise at that point.  No magical perfect young coach is coming here.  No matter how hard they work they are probably going have a walk-on 5' 9" Wide Receivers (with a lot of heart) being the best big play weapons on their teams.  Sorry but that is not going to cut in CUSA.  Maybe eek out west division title every 15 years or so maybe.  

Maybe I'm just drinking my own dreamers cocktail, but I think Major Applewhite is very obtainable.  Cumbie and Meachum are riding that TCU high which will lead to better jobs.  Meacham is all but guaranteed a better job...that guy is intense and sharp. Major is doing good things in Houston, but that ain't getting him a big time HC job.  Winning at UNT will.  Gil and Nutt are not the guys!  

• Upvote 2

He did okay at Buffalo and Liberty.

His overall record is not great, nor do I think he should be a finalist for UNT.  I just don't think his stint in Kansas is as big a factor as everyone else does, whether it sucked or even if it was spectacular.

Maybe I'm just drinking my own dreamers cocktail, but I think Major Applewhite is very obtainable.  Cumbie and Meachum are riding that TCU high which will lead to better jobs.  Meacham is all but guaranteed a better job...that guy is intense and sharp. Major is doing good things in Houston, but that ain't getting him a big time HC job.  Winning at UNT will.  Gil and Nutt are not the guys!  

Herman at Houston is about to have big-time offers thrown his way, whether this offseason or next. Applewhite may be the next man up there, which would be hard to turn down with those recruiting classes. He's right up there with Smiley for my top wants, though.

• Upvote 1

Houston Nutt may be somewhat like Dan Mac with experience in a location closer to UNT.   Mack Brown head coached in 2 national championship games and should have been in a 3rd if garbage tie breaking Big 12 rules and the BCS didn't screw the Longhorns.  Dan Mac doesn't have NFL experience like Turner Gill either.  But is all pointless to debate seriously with RV here.  Only desperate coaches with no options are going to come here now with RV as AD.   Any agent for a coach or a coach that does research himself will find out what is going on here and pass.  UNT is going to have to overpay a coach that doesn't really want to come here.  With so many jobs open right now; will be about 20+ Coordinator positions coaches would take over HC position at UNT not even to mention HC positions at other FBS and FCS schools.  If RV is next year I am done.  Not only with that but with gomeangreen.com cause it become a pointless exercise at that point.  No magical perfect young coach is coming here.  No matter how hard they work they are probably going have a walk-on 5' 9" Wide Receivers (with a lot of heart) being the best big play weapons on their teams.  Sorry but that is not going to cut in CUSA.  Maybe eek out west division title every 15 years or so maybe.  

1) Mack Brown isn't coming here, that's first.

2) NFL Experience??? The Packers went 4-12 in 2005, his only season in the NFL.  This is his wiki page for his one year in Green Bay "In 2005, Gill was hired by the Green Bay Packers as Director of Player Development to help players become acclimated to playing professional football in Green Bay and to direct players to resources concerning community involvement, continuing education, financial management, and retirement planning. He also served as an assistant wide receivers coach and an offensive assistant coach through December 2005."

I don't think that's very impressive.

3)  Nutt hasn't coached since 2011, you don't want to hire the same person as Mac... Why would you give an older guy who's just milking out his buy out from Ole Miss to coach here at UNT?? That doesn't make sense.  If he gets fired, he'll do the same thing and we cant lower his buy out because he retired.

If you want to hire an African American HC look at Frank Wilson from LSU.

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 2

Herman at Houston is about to have big-time offers thrown his way, whether this offseason or next. Applewhite may be the next man up there, which would be hard to turn down with those recruiting classes. He's right up there with Smiley for my top wants, though.

I agree....but I'm thinking Herman is still a year or two away.  If that's the case not sure Major can turn down the opportunity to more than double his salary.  

Why isn't Willie Fritz on this list?!?! We should be really hoping we get him because he really has the experience (FCS & FBS) and proven success record (FCS & FBS)...plus TX HS ties...to help build this program the right way. He is the most realistic/best option for us, hands down! More of us should be mentioning his name more often. No idea why BV isn't mentioning him.

• Upvote 2

Why isn't Willie Fritz on this list?!?! We should be really hoping we get him because he really has the experience (FCS & FBS) and proven success record (FCS & FBS)...plus TX HS ties...to help build this program the right way. He is the most realistic/best option for us, hands down! More of us should be mentioning his name more often. No idea why BV isn't mentioning him.

Fritz is very solid.  Solid game day coach.  He's a grinder and will produce some good teams.  Not the sexy pick, but if he were to come here we'd be lucky to have him!

• Upvote 1

Fritz is the best option but why would he choose UNT over teams like Memphis next year.  That's who we're going up against.  Fuentes is most łikely going to get poached, Memphis is a better choice for his coaching resume than UNT.  I don't think that's a realistic goal, but I hope I'm wrong

• Upvote 2

I keep coming back to Major Applewhite. Yes, he is still young but he has show he can develop quarterbacks. He has worked in a variety of systems at Syracuse, Alabama, Rice, UT and Houston. Every HS coach in Texas knows who he is although I don't believe this is vital to success. He has been around enough different staffs to know where to look for quality assistants. Quality assistants I believe can be a key factor in quicker success. 

My top qualities are success in a variety of systems, up and coming FBS coordinator or lower level HC and then Texas ties. 

By the way, the last coach we had that got hired away actually was Jerry Moore. Texas Tech took him away from us. People here tend to not care for Moore because he wasn't Hadyen Fry. Moore had Nebraska style offense that was going to take a few more years of good recruiting to work. We complained he took a 19-3 team (technically 18-4 over 2 years) and went 11-11 in the next two years. (I complained, too!) After the last decade, I'd jump at .500 for a couple of years! Moore never did well at Tech in five years there but he later build Appy State into a 1AA powerhouse that won at Michigan. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think the game passed Hoke by.  I think it would boil down to the supporting staff he puts together.

as a Michigan fan, I would just like to be on record in the 100% anti-Brady Hoke camp, should one ever pop up outside of this rumor mill. he...he is not a good coach.

frankly...I don't know why so many of you are hung up on how young some of these OCs are. these are smart and ambitious guys who have been immersed in winning programs for the better part of their lives...personally, I want someone who views this job as a stepping-stone rather than a redemption bid. 

• Upvote 1

Fritz is the best option but why would he choose UNT over teams like Memphis next year.  That's who we're going up against.  Fuentes is most łikely going to get poached, Memphis is a better choice for his coaching resume than UNT.  I don't think that's a realistic goal, but I hope I'm wrong

I couldn't agree more. I think Fritz will get better offers than UNT. It's a sad reality but unless we money whip him he will probably tell us thanks but no thanks.

I keep coming back to Major Applewhite. Yes, he is still young but he has show he can develop quarterbacks. He has worked in a variety of systems at Syracuse, Alabama, Rice, UT and Houston. Every HS coach in Texas knows who he is although I don't believe this is vital to success. He has been around enough different staffs to know where to look for quality assistants. Quality assistants I believe can be a key factor in quicker success. 

My top qualities are success in a variety of systems, up and coming FBS coordinator or lower level HC and then Texas ties. 

By the way, the last coach we had that got hired away actually was Jerry Moore. Texas Tech took him away from us. People here tend to not care for Moore because he wasn't Hadyen Fry. Moore had Nebraska style offense that was going to take a few more years of good recruiting to work. We complained he took a 19-3 team (technically 18-4 over 2 years) and went 11-11 in the next two years. (I complained, too!) After the last decade, I'd jump at .500 for a couple of years! Moore never did well at Tech in five years there but he later build Appy State into a 1AA powerhouse that won at Michigan. 

Agree.  He's a tough competitor,young, offensive minded, with enough Texas glam to bring notoriety to bring players.  Major could bring in some good assistants....maybe UIW coach Ricky Williams as a RB  coach....a bit more wow factor, plus the word in SA is Ricky is doing a solid job with the kids both in personal development and carrying the rock!

• Upvote 1