MGB: UNT lands highly rated Texas player

Brett Vito

Benford has make significant improvements every year.  Many will never forgive him for messing up the most talent assembled by NT in decades, but that is in the past.

I am not advocating that Benford stays if he doesn't have a real good year, but am waiting to see what he puts on the court this year.   The front court is really suspect and someone is going to have to come through to take some of the pressure of Combs.

As far as recruiting; I don't like the high turnover style but probably the majority of teams now do the same thing.  It is not like football, in basketball; it's pretty much substantially contribute or your gone.  In three years, imo he has only hit on a couple of recruits Combs and Voss.  Judging by his stated evaluations of his additions, he is not a very good judge of talent at all.  Having said that I like his two commits and his freshmen this year.   Brice is definitely a project, but he is a big 7' one.  

as well as the 6'10 bean pole we picked up as a walk on from Prosper. 

• Upvote 1

He is a decent recruiter. Guys like TJ Taylor and J Michael Reese were highly rated out of high school. He started off getting JUCOs and transfers, however the past two years we have really seen an influx in young talent. Specifically some more young Texas talent.

I'm not 100% certain of this but I believe Combs might have been the first HS recruit Benford managed to get onto the court without some sort of issue (grades, etc) that prevents said HS recruit from making it to the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Benford has make significant improvements every year.  Many will never forgive him for messing up the most talent assembled by NT in decades, but that is in the past.

As are winning seasons.

We went from 16-16 to 14-17.  You and I will just have to agree to disagree about the definition of "significant improvements."

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

As are winning seasons.

We went from 16-16 to 14-17.  You and I will just have to agree to disagree about the definition of "significant improvements."

The coaching is much better than his first year.  Overall, the team is much better coached and puts forth a lot more effort than his first year.  It is hard to believe anyone that actually watches the games wouldn't agree to that.  I am talking about in-game coaching, records are made of lot more factors than that; such as schedules and talent level.     

His first year was a disaster and I don't think I have seen a worst coached team.  So saying he has made significant improvements is not exactly high praise. 

• Upvote 1

Not on the team

uhh, did he decide college ball wasnt for him or was that decided for him?? Thanks for the info, I was interested to see how he panned out, I did not see him as a D1 kid, but you can't teach height.