MGB: If McNulty wasn't the best option, he wouldn't be out there

Brett Vito

I don't buy the idea the coaches purposely trying to lose. As for forcing the entire offense to learn a totally new 10-12 play playbook because one guy hasn't learned the real one yet, sorry but that doesn't make sense either. Make the one guy learn the playbook. 

Why not just run the first "however many" pages of the playbook that the one guy knows? The team doesn't have to learn a new playbook but if the new guy knows at least some of the plays in the playbook, why not run those plays?

• Upvote 2

Wont it be funny if Smith takes over mid-year and catches fire, leading UNT to 2 late wins? That would be twice that Vito would have taken a position to the consensus of this message board and been wrong. We might have to put him on suicide watch if that happens. 

No, it would mean by mid-year Smith would have had a chance to learn the offense. He should be learning more and more every week. 

Everyone talks about how huge it is for a bowl team to have extra practices and how vital that is the player development for the next year. But many seem to totally discount the fact Smith didn't make his grades and couldn't participate in Spring practice. 

I'm not saying McNulty will always be the best player and will always be better than Smith. Just that a guy with years in a system knows it better than one who only had a few weeks before the season started. I full expect we will see Smith some later this year when he's actually ready. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Vito gmg.com baiting at its best.

Wont it be funny if Smith takes over mid-year and catches fire, leading UNT to 2 late wins? That would be twice that Vito would have taken a position to the consensus of this message board and been wrong. We might have to put him on suicide watch if that happens. 

IF (mighty big if) McNulty is the best QB in this roster, then our QB recruiting and development has been beyond disasterous. 

But Brett the Contrarian knows this...

I truly don't believe he will get the chance this year. Greer might, but not Smith barring a rash of injuries. If McNulty really is the best we've got, it shines an even worse light on this staff, as a guy who is basically a walk on QB (with a scholly) is the best that they could possibly find in year five of their "rebuilding program". The quarterback position just doesn't seem to be taken seriously around here these days. 

Edited by foutsrouts
  • Upvote 1

It may be true that he is a better option, only because of the type of offense.  Not due to talent.  Chico has no clue on how to develop an offense around a player's strengths and weaknesses.  

Mac and Chico has two different philosophies, but it is up to Chico to come up with something that fits.  We have no identity on offense, no go to plays, no go to personel.  Re run different sets and personel for all kinds of situations.  It's a lot to keep up with.  And add the uptempo to it, it makes it harder.

Mac is old school.  And old school coaches do what has been successful in the past.  If it ain't broke...Mac wants a mobile QB, that can run, take care of the ball, and make a throw when needed.  He wants to run the ball.  If mac had his choice, it would probably be a big QB like Matt Davis or D. Jackson.

Chico wants to run something more modern and flashy.  This compromise is what is killing the team because there is no identity.  The team is built on a little of both instead of focusing on one style.

Chico has not recruited a true running QB.  A big tackle breaking QB that can take care of the ball.  One that a defense has to game plan for and contain. He's recruiting these tweeners  that can run a little and scramble, but he definetly wants to be more fancy and not have a simple smash mouth offense.  

Mac and Chico are not a good fit together.  I think Mac's approach would win more games.  Chico should have just recruited a QB that can run, and players that can play smash mouth.

• Upvote 2

I don't buy the idea the coaches purposely trying to lose. As for forcing the entire offense to learn a totally new 10-12 play playbook because one guy hasn't learned the real one yet, sorry but that doesn't make sense either. Make the one guy learn the playbook. 

Then do you buy them making a mistake? This staff has made more than their share in recruiting, is really that hard to believe they are wrong this time?

• Upvote 1

I am an avowed know it all and at least Quoner isn't in denial.  

whose in denial? 

I know I'm a know-it-all, and know I'm right much more of the time than amateurs like you and Quoner...

you guys can't hold my know-it-all jockstrap. 

And this season, unfortunately, is proving I'm a candidate for the GMG know-it-all Hall of Fame. 

Together with my GMG.com athletic hall of fame membership, that gives me immunity from being kicked off the GMG island.

Mofos!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

It may be true that he is a better option, only because of the type of offense.  Not due to talent.  Chico has no clue on how to develop an offense around a player's strengths and weaknesses.  

Mac and Chico has two different philosophies, but it is up to Chico to come up with something that fits.  We have no identity on offense, no go to plays, no go to personel.  Re run different sets and personel for all kinds of situations.  It's a lot to keep up with.  And add the uptempo to it, it makes it harder.

Mac is old school.  And old school coaches do what has been successful in the past.  If it ain't broke...Mac wants a mobile QB, that can run, take care of the ball, and make a throw when needed.  He wants to run the ball.  If mac had his choice, it would probably be a big QB like Matt Davis or D. Jackson.

Chico wants to run something more modern and flashy.  This compromise is what is killing the team because there is no identity.  The team is built on a little of both instead of focusing on one style.

Chico has not recruited a true running QB.  A big tackle breaking QB that can take care of the ball.  One that a defense has to game plan for and contain. He's recruiting these tweeners  that can run a little and scramble, but he definetly wants to be more fancy and not have a simple smash mouth offense.  

Mac and Chico are not a good fit together.  I think Mac's approach would win more games.  Chico should have just recruited a QB that can run, and players that can play smash mouth.

Bolded point #1: I agree... but what are we seeing?

Bolded point #2: How many 6'3"+ "mobile" QBs do you know of that are not staring at offers from 20+ P5s?   We got one in Dajon, but there was obviously a reason we were his only offer.  Talent was definitely there.   It's difficult to recruit a mobile QB who fits McCarney's prototypical size.

• Upvote 2

You're probably right, which is sad.

Brett, don't you think the fact that McNulty is our best QB show how bad recruiting has been under Mac? I'd love to see you right an opinion piece on why you think Mac has struggled so much to recruit/develop a solid D1 QB.

• Upvote 2

whose in denial? 

I know I'm a know-it-all, and know I'm right much more of the time than amateurs like you and Quoner...

you guys can't hold my know-it-all jockstrap. 

You know how a lot of people bristle about the idea that RV "invented" tailgating here? Getting the obvious right a lot isn't cause for a lifetime poster contract either.

• Upvote 5

I actually don't think it's a matter of Smith "not knowing the playbook".  I bet he knows the playbook just fine.   His problem is likely with the paper tests when reading the opposing pre-snap defensive alignment to figure out which super-secret play to check down to if the defense is in a position to stop the current play.

• Upvote 3

Brett, you are probably right. He probably is the best option. So what has mac and co been doing in recruiting to address his issue??? He's been here 5 years now???? If McNulty is the best option at QB, then all of the coaches should be fired. There are teams in our conf and close by that have done a great job at finding QBs that are on the same level as us.

Bolded point #1: I agree... but what are we seeing?
Bolded point #2: How many 6'3"+ "mobile" QBs do you know of that are not staring at offers from 20+ P5s?   We got one in Dajon, but there was obviously a reason we were his only offer.  Talent was definitely there.   It's difficult to recruit a mobile QB who fits McCarney's prototypical size.

I think they are out there.  May not have SEC size, but like a few have posted on here. There are many high school QBs that are true runners, but they get converted.  Some would jump at the chance to continue to play QB.

What we tried with chumley is what we should be doing.  I bet money that was not a chico decision.  I say run the big boy.  Chico probably wants him reading defenses, passing tests, and wants him to have pocket presence.  

Dajon was a scrambler, and he was still small. I dont view him as a big time running QB in college. Mac wants a QB that can run, but you don't hold your breath when he does cause you think he will get hurt or fumble.

You know how a lot of people bristle about the idea that RV "invented" tailgating here? Getting the obvious right a lot isn't cause for a lifetime poster contract either.

Considering so many of our "big donors" get the obvious wrong on a consistent basis, I beg to differ with your obviously know-it-all opinion. 

Also, a by-product of being a know-it-all is narcaccistic behavior. So, let's continue to make this thread more about ME and less about Vito or McNulty. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm in the partu that could care less. 

I wish they would just go back to 2 TE sets with a roving H-back going in motion every play and play keep away while trying to power the football with the occasional play action or flow throw to the flats. We are all of sudden switching to an offense that kind of highlights (or in our case lowlights) the quarterback while starting the worst QB possibly in the last 10-20 years of UNT football and one of the worst in the country this this year. Makes little sense. 

As far as the playbook excuse, it's just that, an excuse. This offense is not very complex by any stretch. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1