MGB breaking news -- UNT athletics gets $1.25 mil. donation

Brett Vito

Is the MG Club run by the Athletic Department?  Why don't we have an Athletic Foundation, run by a Board of Directors, like most big, successful programs?

If memory serves me, and at my age it might not:  

The MGC had ceased to exist when alumni, some of them IN THIS THEAD, restarted it in an unofficial capacity.  After some success, it was handed back over to the athletic department.

Why it was allowed to become moribund is a question for the ages. 

• Downvote 1

Quiet you.....positive facts not welcome here! We only do graphs and charts in an attempt to discredit UNT.  You will be banned soon if you keep this up.  

Well, I wouldn't say having only 484 MGC members (an increase of 273 over 10 years) after a decade at the helm is exactly 'positive'.  I was just trying to point out that Apogee stadium likely jump-started the ascent.  I can really only speak for myself, but the numbers seem to back it up since it went from 484 to around 700 in the span of 1 year.

Hopefully the increase from now on isn't linear, like Cerebus' graph.  That certainly wouldn't be 'positive'.  Rather, I hope it's more 'exponential'.  I guess we'll see.

• Upvote 4

Hopefully the increase from now on isn't linear, like Cerebus' graph.  That certainly wouldn't be 'positive'.  Rather, I hope it's more 'exponential'.  I guess we'll see.

I know it's limited data, but excluding that jump for Apogee the data is linear.  There is nothing that supports exponential growth.   To just show polynomial growth we would have to double MGC membership by 2018.  

Does anything in the data imply that is likely?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If memory serves me, and at my age it might not:  

The MGC had ceased to exist when alumni, some of them IN THIS THEAD, restarted it in an unofficial capacity.  After some success, it was handed back over to the athletic department.

Why it was allowed to become moribund is a question for the ages. 

Before the MGC the fundraising arm was called the Eagle Foundation. When I got here membership was 100+. To be blunt, it sucked. 

A few of us (with a lot of help from other posters on this board) started an outside group and called it the Mean Green Club. Mostly a tailgating organization. 

RV came in and the name was handed over to the department. 

In the off-season I might tell a few tales of some of the things the old MGC did. Never underestimate the power of a margarita machine. 

• Upvote 3

The AD does deserve credit for this, I don't want to take anything away from that or from the gift.  

Let's remember it's a one time gift.  A thousand new donors at the $500  MGC level could raise that in 2.5 years, EVERY 2.5 years.  That is only counting the donation itself, not the tickets or anything else they might buy.

That is why raising those numbers is so important.  We are 2000+ short of the goal the AD set  (3000) to hit in 2004.    If you imagine that we had those 2000 extra MGC members in 2004, and they collectively gave about $750,000 a year, then we would now have an additional $8.25M in MGC donations alone.  Even if they only bought the cheapest GA season tickets that would be another additional $1.1M.  And who can go to Apogee and not get Kettle Korn?  The money adds up. 

clears throat, GULP. That's a lot of money. 

Anybody read the article in the dallas paper today saying we have 6500 athletic donors?  Where did they get that number?

RV slid them a few bills and told them to report it. 

Anybody read the article in the dallas paper today saying we have 6500 athletic donors?  Where did they get that number?

probably the same AD that has vilified the fine University of Tulsa as of late...

It's a simple question. Do you have any major sandwich sponsors?

http://www.kfc.com/menu/sandwiches/doublicious

Edited by UNT90