Rivalry

MCMLXXX

Dumb on all counts. UTSA is no more a rival than any other CUSA team. Makes more sense for it to be UTEP, who NT has a long history of playing or the MUTS which have been the closest thing to a rival since NT and MTSU entered the Belt.

Manufactured rivalries mean little more than nothing.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Rivalry questions:

1 Who do you consider our chief rivals?

2 Do they feel the same way about us?

3 What teams do you hate to lose to the most?

4 What teams do you want to beat the most?

Last queation:

Which team gets written about the most (by far and away) on this forum?

How about a poll: Which team do you consider our chief rival?

• Upvote 1

Ben Gooding, on 24 Feb 2015 - 6:28 PM, said:snapback.png

It's nothing to do with them beating us. That's irrelevant. What is relevant is tying your name to a program and/or university that has no weight to its brand or program. I would much rather have a La Tech or even a Southern Miss as a rival than nUTSAck. People don't care about utsa. I am not saying people care about us, but if I am given the option to choose a rival that would be more beneficial to us it sure wouldn't be utsa. A rival doesn't always have to be geographically aligned. Tennessee and Florida are huge rivals and they are quite far from each other. I would personally like to see LaTech as our rival. We are actually closer to them anyways.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You said it, people dont care about us, just like most people dont care about UTSA. UNT and SMU isn't a rival because SMU doesn't give two sh!ts about UNT, but we like to think it is.

UNT and UTSA is a good rivalry, I cant stand them and they dont like us. Not because I'm envious, like most on the board but because we are the same.

Anyone that says UNT has history is living in the past, because I'm sorry we dont. You're probably over 65 and you still talk about the Hayden Fry days, those days are long gone.

Ben Gooding, on 24 Feb 2015 - 7:17 PM, said:snapback.png

Beating them means nothing to me. UAH isn't a peer and neither is Prairie View A&M. Both of them beat us. Appalachian State is not a peer with Michigan and neither is Ole Miss and Jacksonville State or Florida and Georgia Southern. Just because you lose to a team doesn't make them a peer. They had the opportunity to be in our conference for one simple reason..geography. Nothing else. Literally, nothing. Would I like to beat them, well yes. If we don't beat them this year it will be another piss poor season because that would mean we have a pretty bad team. Another loss to them, which is a game towards the end of the season, would solidify what has arguably been and would most definitely be his time to fold shop.

Our conference???? We joined the same year.

• Upvote 4

Not an entirely unfair point. I have a blanket desire to move as far from the Sun Belt as possible. I feel the same way about Arkansas State or any of the others. In the past though, my feelings about ULL did not stem from some idea that we are inherently superior though. In the eyes of the general public ULL, UNT, UTSA, and even ULM are all on the same level.

Once again, Matt speaks the truth. UNT is nothing in the eyes of the general public.

• Upvote 2

Ben Gooding, on 24 Feb 2015 - 6:28 PM, said:snapback.png

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You said it, people dont care about us, just like most people dont care about UTSA. UNT and SMU isn't a rival because SMU doesn't give two sh!ts about UNT, but we like to think it is.

UNT and UTSA is a good rivalry, I cant stand them and they dont like us. Not because I'm envious, like most on the board but because we are the same.

Anyone that says UNT has history is living in the past, because I'm sorry we dont. You're probably over 65 and you still talk about the Hayden Fry days, those days are long gone.

Has history? History with who? I'm from the Hayden Fry era and one of my biggest complaints is that we don't have any history with other schools....nor have we seemed particularly interested in having any. We have a lot of games that we've played against some teams in the past (Texas St. being the most), but if you are talking about "rivalry history", we haven't had a true rivalry since we used to be in the Lone Star Conference and our rival was East Texas State (now TAMU Commerce).

Hayden Fry tried to get something going with SMU, but that went away shortly after he did. We want to resurrect that , but as I said to everyone at the signing event "it takes two to tango in a rivalry" and I don't think SMU wants to dance. But if UTSA wants to, then BRING IT ON.

For the record what I miss the most about Hayden Fry was that he clearly saw what was wrong with our school........OUR CULTURE....or (sports wise) the lack thereof. And he went about trying to change it. HE was the first one to push "Mean Green" as our primary moniker because it represented what he hoped to be a CHANGE IN OUR CULTURE, AND A CHANGE IN OUR ATTITUDE!

Instead of the "gee whiz-polite-tennis-applause-North Texas Eagles" he wanted our image to have an ATTITUDE....hence emphasizing MEAN GREEN. I can't tell you how many people of that era just didn't get it......and still don't.

We have two good opportunities to cultivate a rivalry. La Tech and UTSA. Either or both are fine with me, but we need to get it going.....now.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Has history? History with who? I'm from the Hayden Fry era and one of my biggest complaints is that we don't have any history with other schools....nor have we seemed particularly interested in having any. We have a lot of games that we've played against some teams in the past (Texas St. being the most), but if you are talking about "rivalry history", we haven't had a true rivalry since we used to be in the Lone Star Conference and our rival was East Texas State (now TAMU Commerce).

Hayden Fry tried to get something going with SMU, but that went away shortly after he did. We want to resurrect that , but as I said to everyone at the signing event "it takes two to tango in a rivalry" and I don't think SMU wants to dance. But if UTSA wants to, then BRING IT ON.

For the record what I miss the most about Hayden Fry was that he clearly saw what was wrong with our school........OUR CULTURE....or (sports wise) the lack thereof. And he went about trying to change it. HE was the first one to push "Mean Green" as our primary moniker because it represented what he hoped to be a CHANGE IN OUR CULTURE, AND A CHANGE IN OUR ATTITUDE!

Instead of the "gee whiz-polite-tennis-applause-North Texas Eagles" he wanted our image to have an ATTITUDE....hence emphasizing MEAN GREEN. I can't tell you how many people of that era just didn't get it......and still don't.

We have two good opportunities to cultivate a rivalry. La Tech and UTSA. Either or both are fine with me, but we need to get it going.....now.

I'm right there with you. Hence, my basketball thread.

• Upvote 1

I am down with Latech and UTSA being whatever you want to call it when you wish nothing good for them to happen. And throw SMU in their as well. These three games are what I look forward to in football each year, with all other games a notch below.

I mean c'mon, if you can't work up a little hate for those three, something is wrong (and all three for different reasons).

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I am down with Latech and UTSA being whatever you want to call it when you wish nothing good for them to happen. And throw SMU in their as well. These three games are what I look forward to in football each year, with all other games a notch below.

I mean c'mon, if you can't work up a little hate for those three, something is wrong (and all three for different reasons).

Agree!

Yeah, I do know about the facilities at nUTSAck. I have walked around the campus last summer. And, it sucked. Some snake headed mermaid posted up as a monument of meaning at a traffic circle right in the middle of campus. A black generic looking building that looks like an old boxed flat screen television. I've seen it and it sucked. As far as academics goes...really...coming from a nUTSAck fan? gtfo.

Yeah, picking some of the oldest buildings on campus and using them to form your opinion of the campus isn't childish. I'm sure I could find some some older buildings at UNT too if I ever wanted to act like a prissy 5 year old. There's been a bunch of buildings, dorms and athletic facilities that have gone up in just the last decade alone...try basing your opinion on those.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, picking some of the oldest buildings on campus and using them to form your opinion of the campus isn't childish. I'm sure I could find some some older buildings at UNT too if I ever wanted to act like a prissy 5 year old. There's been a bunch of buildings, dorms and athletic facilities that have gone up in just the last decade alone...try basing your opinion on those.

Did any of those new, beautiful facilities include a stadium?

Are we (UNT) the only ones bashing UTSA for not having a stadium, or will a perusal of our CUSA peer forums reveal similar opinion?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Build something. Own something. Stop renting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, picking the rusted cars on my lawn or the port-o-potty to form your opinion of my house isn't childish. A BRAND NEW double wide was put in less than a year ago. Use that building to make a more accurate assessment!!!

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1

USC, UCLA, to name a few. Rather have a 65k seat dome that recruits like instead of a tricked out high school stadium like Texas State. I think you AD RV, whatever that means, brought it up, not UTSA. You better beat UTSA at home with our Freshman team or Cougar King will ride you until you back out of paying added tuition and drop to FCS. Keep up the great forum, Harry you do a great job.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

USC, UCLA, to name a few. Rather have a 65k seat dome that recruits like instead of a tricked out high school stadium like Texas State. I think you AD RV, whatever that means, brought it up, not UTSA. You better beat UTSA at home with our Freshman team or Cougar King will ride you until you back out of paying added tuition and drop to FCS. Keep up the great forum, Harry you do a great job.

Ya, you are USC or UCLA. Lol.

Never underestimate the delusion of a Craphole fan.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Are you serious? The context of discussion is building a venue, by implication an on site facility, as a test or requirement for legitimate existence. I gave 2 examples to show the statement is untrue. Your response was I was delusional? Wow. Are you too cognitively stunted to follow A train of thought? Your response was totally embarrassing and degrading to UNT. If this is the typical discourse of a grad your school is screwed.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1