2015 North Texas Predictions

elig57

Under their watch, their fault. Simply put. I personally don't trust incompetence and this should go without saying but it's quite apparent that our financial gurus were just that, incompetent. Also, for us to sit back and fully believe that not ONE BOR member knew nothing about this financial F up is beyond naive.

For all of their faults, the financial situation cannot be blamed on the Athletic Department. In the last report to the Office of Education there was a surplus of $4M created from athletics. In addition, they have developed several large donors who have improved athletic facilities and continue to do so.

Nor can the BOR be blamed as well. Their actions were based on information furnished by the administration.

The two financial officers, who have since resigned, were the culprits. The auditing staff was also culpable in that they did not uncover the errors. The chief auditor has also been replaced so there should be no future problems. The shortfall was deemed to be from incompetence; not malfeasance.

Sadly, the entire university must suffer. The AD cannot use any of their surplus to buy out contracts, improve facilities, or even pay the additional scholarship costs that have been a byproduct of the P5 conferences. Instead, they will bear an x-percent decrease to make up for the shortfall and that will likely result in a reduction of certain expenses.

Under this line of thinking, you could say it's all the individual accountants' fault that filed the paperwork and no one else.

Lots of managers would love this philosophy, as they would keep their fat salaries while just blaming everything on the low man on the totem pole

Those individual accounts have a boss. He failed to supervise. That boss has a boss, he failed to supervise. The bosses boss has a boss, and he failed to supervise.

We aren't talking a simple c note here, we are talking multiple millions of dollars. Accountability should go all the way to the Chacellor's office (although he would have the best excuse, because everyone knows he actually doesn't do anything). It hasn't and won't, because we are UNT and we hold no employee accountable.

But thanks for saying bosses everywhere should suffer no conciquences. Spoken like a true boss. ;-)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Under this line of thinking, you could say it's all the individual accountants' fault that filed the paperwork and no one else.

Lots of managers would love this philosophy, as they would keep their fat salaries while just blaming everything on the low man on the totem pole

Those individual accounts have a boss. He failed to supervise. That boss has a boss, he failed to supervise. The bosses boss has a boss, and he failed to supervise.

We aren't talking a simple c note here, we are talking multiple millions of dollars. Accountability should go all the way to the Chacellor's office (although he would have the best excuse, because everyone knows he actually doesn't do anything). It hasn't and won't, because we are UNT and we hold no employee accountable.

But thanks for saying bosses everywhere should suffer no conciquences. Spoken like a true boss. ;-)

And I hate to bring him into this and give him credit for anything,.....but unless my memory fails me it was CheckFacts/G2Gwhateverhisnameis got a face to face sit down with Brint Ryan back in '09-'10 in an attempt to warn about questionable accounting issues at the university and got the big blow off?

Rick

• Upvote 3

Mac finds a QB: 8-5

He doesn't: 4-8

I can second that. I'm hoping Means and Smith really stand out or that Williams finds some kind of rhythm and focus during the spring. I don't really have a lot of grand expectations for Greer or McNulty, but if they can put up good numbers, move the ball, and prove to be clutch players, I'll back them.

• Upvote 1

With GOOD QB play... Not average QB play, but actual good QB play then 9-3. Losses to WKU, Tennessee and Iowa. With average QB play 6-6/5-7. With bad QB play (last year) 2-10.

So our best case scenario IMO is 9-3...worse case...2-10. Probable scenario...somewhere in between.

The scary thing about this season is that 2-10 is far more likely than 9-3 given our coaching staffs evaluation of QB talent.

This seasons rises or falls on the ability to recruit and develop a QB.

Same as last year. DMac and Chico failed miserably.

I think we see Means take the reins as I wonder if Smith even makes it to campus.

If Means is good and allowed to throw a couple of 1st down passes, maybe 5-7.

If not. We are staring 3-9 or worse in the face.

And thank you RV for assuring a losing season with your scheduling ineptness.

I think we're all kinda on the same page. Need a QB. Middle of the road season likely, but could go dramatically either way. I'm thinking 6-6 is attainable and not entirely unrealistic. Here are some pros/cons I JUST now threw together, based solely on assumptions/first impressions/being ignorant/etc.

Pros

· When we face SMU, they’ll have just finished getting whooped up on by Baylor at home.

· Iowa will probably be mediocre. If we play better than mediocre, we can get a pseudo-“signature” win away.

· IF we can knock off Rice and Iowa, our fifth game is against Portland State, meaning we could start 5-0, dramatically improving our shot at a bowl appearance.

o IF we start the season 5-0, that should definitely give us good momentum for the rest of the season, which will be key because:

§ We will probably have to snag an unexpected victory in the second half of the season to get 7 wins and ensure another bowl game.

· UTSA rivalry game at home ON HALLOWEEN!!! HUGE home-field advantage.

· LA Tech will be good warm-up before going to Tennessee.

· UTEP, a beatable opponent, at home on Senior Day.

Cons

· We have almost no idea what we’re going into the season with, especially at QB.

· SMU will get whooped by Baylor and be expecting a whooping against TCU. Beating us will be their only hope of not going 0-3 to start the season.

o SMU MUST beat us and Houston to go .500 against Texas rivals.

· As much as we can predict the quality of our opponents, we have little idea what our quality will be. Predicting a 5-0 start assumes we will not only be better than mediocre, it also assumes we will be CONSISTANTLY better than mediocre.

· WKU keeps getting better. F*(<ers. Almost guaranteed loss, followed by Marshall (all but guaranteed loss). We’ll be 5-2 at the VERY best by the midway point of the season.

· UTSA is pesky as sh!t and we may be coming home to play them after losing a second straight game.

o The outcome of the UTSA game will likely set the tone for how we play away at LA Tech and Tennessee. IF we go 5-2 to start the season, losing to UTSA will virtually ensure we’ll be 5-5 as we go to Tennessee (again) to play the MUTS.

· Three straight away games at the tail-end of the season.

Edited by Tyler Maryak
  • Upvote 1

Let's say that we get good QB play this year. Like as good or better than DT in 2013...what does that mean for us? Look at the schedule and you'll see that it means we might get to 5 wins at best. It means we beat SMU and Portland State for sure, then we win games against at Southern Miss, UTSA, and UTEP. Maybe we steal another one, but I don't see where we have a defense or special teams play to get us above 6 wins against the rest of our schedule: Rice, @Iowa, WKU, @ Marshall, @ La Tech, @ Tennessee, and @ MUTS.

To me, good QB play gets us to 5 wins. Average play get us 3-4 wins. Bad QB play gets us 2 or less. The QB has to make up for a small defense that needs lots of improvement, as well as to deal with a brand new OL. He's gonna have to make plays happen, often on his own. With that siad, now imagein everything I just desribed needing to happen at that position, then look at McNulty as your QB. That's how I think 3-4 wins is our ceiling and should be the expectation this upcoming season. And that's actually expecting to see some improvement from McNulty. The schedule is not Helwig-brutal, but its by far the hardest we have seen in a long time around here. McCarney and company have their work cut out for them, but he knows that even a 1-11 season won't cost him his job. It would cost Chico his, but not Mac's because of the buyout.

• Upvote 2

Let's say that we get good QB play this year. Like as good or better than DT in 2013...what does that mean for us? Look at the schedule and you'll see that it means we might get to 5 wins at best. It means we beat SMU and Portland State for sure, then we win games against at Southern Miss, UTSA, and UTEP. Maybe we steal another one, but I don't see where we have a defense or special teams play to get us above 6 wins against the rest of our schedule: Rice, @Iowa, WKU, @ Marshall, @ La Tech, @ Tennessee, and @ MUTS.

To me, good QB play gets us to 5 wins. Average play get us 3-4 wins. Bad QB play gets us 2 or less.

Rice is average. You are overestimating them. An average team at apogee is beatable. Especially if you are assuming good qb play. Even average qb play can beat rice. Average qb play would have beaten them in Houston this year. Rice is a solid team, but for some reason we play them well. They dont have a lot of speed to expose our weaknesses.

Schedule is brutal for all the reasons already mentioned.

1-11

Mean Green beat Portland State and that's it. I cannot see this team winning a game on the road, even as bad as SMU might be.

We will beat SMU...for the last time this series unless the archaic offfense changes.

I do not care so much what the actual win-loss record is, given the schedule and what needs to be done to bring a large number of

new players together. What I do want to see is steady improvement (regardless of whether the result is a win), the emergence of

some new stars, a team that has a future beyond next year, and a QB or two I can really believe in.

• Upvote 2

0-12 and we are stomped by SMU In Dallas!!! MAC is given contract extension for his impassioned speeches while his team on the field rolls over for every team on the schedule!!!!!

LMAO! I had to laugh at this sarcastic post.

Ok, my prediction.....

3-9. Wins over Portland ST. & SMU. Not sure where the 3rd win comes from, but we've all seen CUSA flip flop the last couple of years where teh expected better teams struggle. Mac loves his seniors and is extremely loyal to them. That's why I think McNulty will probably start the entire year. DSmith would have to come in and just blow the socks off Dmac in the fall in order to jump McNutty. We can all expect a highly conservative offense that looks to eat clock, takes care of the ball, and lean on it's defense to get the win. In other words, exactly what we saw last year, and what we've seen since Mac has been here....

Edited by Got5onIt