New time for Coaches' show at Rudy's

NT03

All this is evidence that it was a tough job to move a game to make room for another home game. None of this is evidence that he lied when he said that they were working to get 6 home games, as was your accusation. He may have known that it was not likely that they would succeed, but were still trying to find a way to make it work.

He knew there wasn't a chance in hell of that happening. Anyone who knows how college scheduling works knew there wasn't a chance in hell of that happening, but just like he did in 2012 ( with success, by the way), he thought he could just dance around the question without any consequences.

Remember, this is the same exact freaking thing he did in 2012.

Lying by omission is still lying, my friend.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe the way it went down was before we joined CUSA, we had a multiple game contract with Tulsa. When North Texas joined the conference with Tulsa in 2013, the contract was voided and so we then had holes in our out of conference schedule that needed to be filled.

So, we knew we were moving to CUSA in 2012 and RV couldn't or didn't think far enough ahead at that time to realize there would be a problem with the 2015 schedule and fix it? If that's the case, RV should be fired on the spot.

It isn't.

RV knew from the time he moved the Tennessee game to 2015 that this would be a 5 home game season. He just chose not to tell you to make his life easier for a while. Much like he has told you what happened in basketball was all the player's fault.

Some of you may be ok with continually being lied to. I am not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So, we knew we were moving to CUSA in 2012 and RV couldn't or didn't think far enough ahead at that time to realize there would be a problem with the 2015 schedule and fix it? If that's the case, RV should be fired on the spot.

It isn't.

RV knew from the time he moved the Tennessee game to 2015 that this would be a 5 home game season. He just chose not to tell you to make his life easier for a while. Much like he has told you what happened in basketball was all the player's fault.

Some of you may be ok with continually being lied to. I am not.

I love how you are just assuming that RV did nothing about the whole the moment he knew we were heading to CUSA.

Was it us or Tennessee that wanted to move the game?

• Upvote 2

I love how you are just assuming that RV did nothing about the whole the moment he knew we were heading to CUSA.

Was it us or Tennessee that wanted to move the game?

Apparently you missed the "it isn't" in my above post.

RV knew that the Tennessee game had to be played. He knew we were so inflexible die to his own scheduling that there was no way to get around a 5 game home season unless Tennessee would delay the game until 2017. They wouldn't, or more appropriately, we wouldn't pay the price for such a delay or to buy out of the game completely.

Again, RV knew from the moment that Tennessee game went on the 2015 schedule that this was ALWAYS going to be a 5 home game season. He simply chose to answer dishonestly when asked.

Some may write this off as trying to avoid negative publicity. I don't, especially when it's coupled with previous dishonest conduct by the AD in his statements to fans.

I don't blame him. He has gotten away with it forever. Why should this time be any different? People do what they know.

• Downvote 1

Apparently you missed the "it isn't" in my above post.

RV knew that the Tennessee game had to be played. He knew we were so inflexible die to his own scheduling that there was no way to get around a 5 game home season unless Tennessee would delay the game until 2017. They wouldn't, or more appropriately, we wouldn't pay the price for such a delay or to buy out of the game completely.

Again, RV knew from the moment that Tennessee game went on the 2015 schedule that this was ALWAYS going to be a 5 home game season. He simply chose to answer dishonestly when asked.

Some may write this off as trying to avoid negative publicity. I don't, especially when it's coupled with previous dishonest conduct by the AD in his statements to fans.

I don't blame him. He has gotten away with it forever. Why should this time be any different? People do what they know.

This post here says it all. Rick Villarreal continually lies to his fan base to make his job easier. The purpose of this is so that he can develop the reputation around the country of being a complete liar. That way non of his peers in the business can ever trust anything that he says. He also especially likes to tell lies to donors. He lies to them about what there money is going to be used for, this way it makes it easier to tell more lies when he needs more money for other projects. This is why the largest donors at North Texas donated money to build and athletic center, then decided it was a good idea to help with the football stadium, oh and then a family decided to help build a softball complex and put their name on it, and then a group of donors with a prominent dallas lawyer decided we needed a jumbotron in the pit..............All to help a big fat liar.

Its never about the student athlete, only about the big fat liars that screw things up for them.

#itrulyisallajoke

#everythingyoupostisjustbitterdrivel

• Upvote 5

This post here says it all. Rick Villarreal continually lies to his fan base to make his job easier. The purpose of this is so that he can develop the reputation around the country of being a complete liar. That way non of his peers in the business can ever trust anything that he says. He also especially likes to tell lies to donors. He lies to them about what there money is going to be used for, this way it makes it easier to tell more lies when he needs more money for other projects. This is why the largest donors at North Texas donated money to build and athletic center, then decided it was a good idea to help with the football stadium, oh and then a family decided to help build a softball complex and put their name on it, and then a group of donors with a prominent dallas lawyer decided we needed a jumbotron in the pit..............All to help a big fat liar.

Its never about the student athlete, only about the big fat liars that screw things up for them.

#itrulyisallajoke

Tell me, when year after year after year after year your little group of RV back patters continues to sit in a pretty much empty Super Pit and a yet to sell out Apogee, how does building relationships with monied donors help? RV has turned North texas athletics into Chernobyl...there's a bunch of buildings there, but nobody is stepping foot in them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe so, and for full disclosure, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on RV. I do know this. Where we are now as opposed to where we were when he arrived regarding facilities is amazing. From birth in 1965 to RV's arrival, North Texas essentially built nothing for athletics. True, the Super Pit was built, but it is not run by athletics. The athletic center/locker room was built outside of Fouts on Fry's watch, but other than those two items, nada, zip, zilch. During RV's tenure we have seen the AC and Victory Hall built, the tennis center, the Liberty Christian acquisition, Apogee, the Soccer stadium moved to campus, a softball stadium built, a dedicated basketball practice facility, budgets increased across the board, entry in to CUSA and record setting fund raising, although still low, for the athletic department. We have also gone to 5 bowl games since 2000, and GPA's are up across the board, plus our "Olympic sports" have done a good job overall during his tenure. Football scheduling and some failed hires have a couple of you acting like he's just kicked his feet up on his desk daily ala Steve Sloan. Marketing has improved, but is still not where it needs to be and membership in the MGC and season ticket sales are still stagnant and that is also frustrating. I would say he is batting .500 considering we don't know what kind of resistance he has received from the BOR and university administration.

I think the salesman in RV gets him in trouble from time to time, but I can't say he has failed based on what he has done and considering how things were prior to his arrival.

• Upvote 3

Tell me, when year after year after year after year your little group of RV back patters continues to sit in a pretty much empty Super Pit and a yet to sell out Apogee, how does building relationships with monied donors help? RV has turned North texas athletics into Chernobyl...there's a bunch of buildings there, but nobody is stepping foot in them.

Personally, I think RV is a likeable guy and he uses that at his advantage to keep the money coming from the big donors. It's like they are all part of an elite club and us little guys are just idiots who don't matter anyways. That's the way it is at most universities but the difference is you won't see big donors at UT or a big school with high standards let bad hires go unpunished like they do here. My message to RV would be to look at the bigger picture and all the potential money makers, young alumni, you are losing out on by not correcting mistakes with your hires.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

#itrulyisallajoke

Maybe you should be honest with yourself. When did RV tell you we would have a 5 home game season in 2015? Has he told you yet? Does he just talk around the issue? Have you asked probing questions as to why we are where we are when others do much better? What were his answers?

Then ask yourself why a fan who pays close attention to scheduling would believe the AD lied to the fan base. Ask yourself why there is a perception that RV has all the big donors snowed.

#bigdonorsmanipulated

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe you should be honest with yourself. When did RV tell you we would have a 5 home game season in 2015? Has he told you yet? Does he just talk around the issue? Have you asked probing questions as to why we are where we are when others do much better? What were his answers?

Then ask yourself why a fan who pays close attention to scheduling would believe the AD lied to the fan base. Ask yourself why there is a perception that RV has all the big donors snowed.

#bigdonorsmanipulated

You really make good points on this subject, but no one ever hears them because you keep saying RV lied to us. No he didn't. He never drew a line in the sand and said we will always have 6 home games. He never said we were going to have home games with OK. St. He did say those were his goals and that we have the pieces in place to do it now. He hasn't been doing it, which is where you bringing this up is right, but when you start saying he lied, every other word you typed before or after is ignored.

• Upvote 2

You really make good points on this subject, but no one ever hears them because you keep saying RV lied to us. No he didn't. He never drew a line in the sand and said we will always have 6 home games. He never said we were going to have home games with OK. St. He did say those were his goals and that we have the pieces in place to do it now. He hasn't been doing it, which is where you bringing this up is right, but when you start saying he lied, every other word you typed before or after is ignored.

Go back and re-read the thread.

I said RV intentionally talked around the fact that 2015 would be a 5 home game season when RV knew that to be the case. Harry asked him point blank twice and he refused to answer the question.

Lying by omission is still lying.

As far as the post you quoted, Fly gives as good as he gets. That's just our love language.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I said RV intentionally talked around the fact that 2015 would be a 5 home game season when RV knew that to be the case. Harry asked him point blank twice and he refused to answer the question.

Lying by omission is still lying.

As far as the post you quoted, Fly gives as good as he gets. That's just our love language.

Then everybody lies ... like ... every day and all the time. Who doesn't leave out details here and there about something, especially if you know someone won't handle/understand the absolute truth well. I conveniently leave out certain details when talking with my business customers all the time. A lot of it has to do with the fact my business customers and I (working in Information Technology) don't always speak the same language and so I give them the over-simplified truth when in fact there are a ton of extra steps involved in me getting something done for them. I lie to them by omission to avoid me spending an unnecessary amount of time of me explaining something to them which could confuse them even more, leading to me spending even more of my valuable time explaining more things even when I could be doing something else way more productive. I've fallen into that trap before and so I do it to save my sanity.

But I'm a liar. Shame on me, right?

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

Sure thing, I'm sure that you never said that he lied about anything.

His answer was along the lines of "we are working on it and always have a goal to have 6 home games," knowing the whole time that he was putting off an inevitable announcement.

So it really wasn't a political answer so much as it was an outright lie. Should people ask questions just to be lied to? Is that why we should attend and cause a tense situation by asking RV questions that RV's boss should be asking him?

Hmm, seems like here you are saying that he lied about working on making a change. To call what you attributed to RV a lie would be to say that he was not working on addressing the schedule and/or that 6 home games is not a goal for him. He never said that we would definitely have 6 home games nor did he say that it would be an easy job. I guess, by your definition, he lied by omission by not specifically stating that it would be a difficult job. But, if he had said that, you would be railing on him for making excuses, which would be just as tiring on the board as the conversation we are having, so everyone loses either way.

• Upvote 2

Sure thing, I'm sure that you never said that he lied about anything.

Hmm, seems like here you are saying that he lied about working on making a change. To call what you attributed to RV a lie would be to say that he was not working on addressing the schedule and/or that 6 home games is not a goal for him. He never said that we would definitely have 6 home games nor did he say that it would be an easy job. I guess, by your definition, he lied by omission by not specifically stating that it would be a difficult job. But, if he had said that, you would be railing on him for making excuses, which would be just as tiring on the board as the conversation we are having, so everyone loses either way.

Telling people you are working on a change while knowing that change isn't going to happen is lying.

Get it?

If I asked you point blank "what is your last name" and you himmed and hawed before finally saying that you really want your last name to be what it is, and you are working to make it that way, is that a lie?

Is it?

Harry asked him directly. Twice. He refused to answer the question. Twice. All the while knowing the answer.

That is lying by omission, my friend. Even when you do it.

Edited by UNT90

Telling people you are working on a change while knowing that change isn't going to happen is lying.

Get it?

You are assuming he knew at that point it was not going to happen. He may have had a conversation earlier that day that gave him hope. If memory serves, that was two plus years ago and there were still a lot of changes that could have happened. You just don't know what was going on at that time to say what his frame of mind was at the time. All you are doing is speculating.

I would think that you, of all people, would want to know all of the facts before passing judgement.

• Upvote 2

You are assuming he knew at that point it was not going to happen. He may have had a conversation earlier that day that gave him hope. If memory serves, that was two plus years ago and there were still a lot of changes that could have happened. You just don't know what was going on at that time to say what his frame of mind was at the time. All you are doing is speculating.

I would think that you, of all people, would want to know all of the facts before passing judgement.

Your memory doesn't serve you well. That was in a podcast either during or right before the football season.

The facts are that it was impossible to move a game. I explained that earlier. Either you didn't read it or have an agenda.

Edited by UNT90

Your memory doesn't serve you well. That was in a podcast either during or right before the football season.

I believe you've experienced a lapse in your recollection of certain circumstances as it relates to our football schedule, so there is that.

• Upvote 1

The facts are the it was impossible to move a game. I explained that earlier. Either you didn't read it or have an agenda.

Sure, those are the only two options. You live in a much simpler world than I do.

• Upvote 2

Sure, those are the only two options. You live in a much simpler world than I do.

m

You are right. I live in the simple world that doesn't include a scheduling fairy that grants impossible "working on it" wishes.

And how did that "working in it" turn out? In a 5 home game season I warned you was coming for 2 years. You said wait and trust in the AD.

You live in a world full of much more denial than I. ;-)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Then everybody lies ... like ... every day and all the time. Who doesn't leave out details here and there about something, especially if you know someone won't handle/understand the absolute truth well. I conveniently leave out certain details when talking with my business customers all the time. A lot of it has to do with the fact my business customers and I (working in Information Technology) don't always speak the same language and so I give them the over-simplified truth when in fact there are a ton of extra steps involved in me getting something done for them. I lie to them by omission to avoid me spending an unnecessary amount of time of me explaining something to them which could confuse them even more, leading to me spending even more of my valuable time explaining more things even when I could be doing something else way more productive. I've fallen into that trap before and so I do it to save my sanity.

But I'm a liar. Shame on me, right?

So, because you purposefully avoid speaking in terms that are beyond your customers, RV is justified in not explaining things that we are ALL fully capable of comprehending? He's not avoiding a discussion about quantum physics...he is or he isn't going to give us six home game seasons due to HIS scheduling. That's not specialized jargon.

And this is completely separate from the fact that any decent leader doesn't willfully obscure the whole story in order to coddle the masses who he believes are incapable of handling the truth...that's just basic. A good leader, when he lays out expectations (expectations that he willfully let's you develop), has the decency to give an explanation of where/why he failed to live up to said expectations. You lie to children when you set higher than obtainable expectations, e.g. telling them that Santa "forgot" their new bike when in reality you couldn't afford it...you don't do that to adults (especially adults who you ask to pay a premium for seats and MGC memberships). If I behaved this way I'd be demoted tomorrow.

Only at North Texas do we write off being a used car (or pizza) salesman as "everybody does it".

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1