Kobe is spot on

cdizzle86

I was just about to post this, watching UNT basketball right now makes this point very well. Seems like these guys don't know the fundamentals of shooting but they are all so eager to try to get a dunk. I know we have had European players in the past, what happened to trying to recruit out of Europe? I think a team like UNT could really benefit from finding some hidden gems in Europe to come play here.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

I was just about to post this, watching UNT basketball right now makes this point very well. Seems like these guys don't know the fundamentals of shooting but they are all so eager to try to get a dunk. I know we have had European players in the past, what happened to trying to recruit out of Europe? I think a team like UNT could really benefit from finding some hidden gems in Europe to come play here.

Agree. UTEP brought in matt williams from Canada and UTSA a has players from Australia. We need to bring in guys with fundamentals who are coachable (not saying anyone on this team is not).

Agree. UTEP brought in matt williams from Canada and UTSA a has players from Australia. We need to bring in guys with fundamentals who are coachable (not saying anyone on this team is not).

Different sport, but I can name one UNT coach who does this very well: Sujay Lama. The women's tennis coach is incredibly good at finding talent abroad, especially Europe, which is what turned that program around.

• Upvote 2

Different sport, but I can name one UNT coach who does this very well: Sujay Lama. The women's tennis coach is incredibly good at finding talent abroad, especially Europe, which is what turned that program around.

I noticed that last year at one of UNTs football games. The tennis team was running the activities for kids and we ended up talking to the team and found it amazing that all but one at the time was from another country. Other countries definetly teach the fundamentals. Obviously athleticism is a key part of the game (zee Vince carders dunk in the Olympics over the 7 footer haha), but footwork, ball handling, passing etc.. are more important. You need a good mix. It seems to me AAU teaches run and gun and just throw it up.

What are the numbers on players who are sucesful in AAU making it in the NBA and having success?

I noticed that last year at one of UNTs football games. The tennis team was running the activities for kids and we ended up talking to the team and found it amazing that all but one at the time was from another country. Other countries definetly teach the fundamentals. Obviously athleticism is a key part of the game (zee Vince carders dunk in the Olympics over the 7 footer haha), but footwork, ball handling, passing etc.. are more important. You need a good mix. It seems to me AAU teaches run and gun and just throw it up.

What are the numbers on players who are sucesful in AAU making it in the NBA and having success?

Not sure... It may just be a cultural difference but American vs. European tennis is the same way. When I played in high school and college I noticed that European players just focus on footwork and being extremely consistent. Meanwhile, us Americans would all try to play like Andy Roddick (which led to his retirement at age 28), which was basically just trying to hit your serve as hard as possible and smash the ball whenever you had the chance.

• Upvote 1

Though I don't disagree, these kids still play for high school coaches as well for 3 years. AAU should not replace the role of HS coaching.

The bigger problem is kids coming out of college after 1 year. Kobe didn't spend 1 day in college. Where were his complaints then? (And now)

• Upvote 1

Remember that kid Benford recruited that only played AAU ball? Didnt play on his HS team until he was a senior, and then couldn't get minutes... In high school...

The problem is AAU are as much talent brokers for colleges as they are basketball coaches. A fair percentage are as much in it for themselves as they are for the kids. Dirty business.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not sure... It may just be a cultural difference but American vs. European tennis is the same way. When I played in high school and college I noticed that European players just focus on footwork and being extremely consistent. Meanwhile, us Americans would all try to play like Andy Roddick (which led to his retirement at age 28), which was basically just trying to hit your serve as hard as possible and smash the ball whenever you had the chance.

Hey man, give Roddick some credit...he didn't retire till he was 30.

HS coaches have their hands tied behind their backs and are trying to fight Mike Tyson. The only organized stuff they can do is approximately 5 1/2 months if they make a deep playoff run. Once their team is out of playoffs or done (once district is over) then they can't have organized practice, ie hands on fundamentals. They can suggest they can have open gyms but if they play by the rules it really stinks for them. The other thing that hurts kids (especially in Texas) is most MS coaches are future football coaches just doing their time. The kids don't really get the fundamentals, then they get to hs and uh oh.

• Upvote 1

HS coaches have their hands tied behind their backs and are trying to fight Mike Tyson. The only organized stuff they can do is approximately 5 1/2 months if they make a deep playoff run. Once their team is out of playoffs or done (once district is over) then they can't have organized practice, ie hands on fundamentals. They can suggest they can have open gyms but if they play by the rules it really stinks for them. The other thing that hurts kids (especially in Texas) is most MS coaches are future football coaches just doing their time. The kids don't really get the fundamentals, then they get to hs and uh oh.

Yes, it's almost painful to watch at times.

Rick