SMU Athletics Reveals Future Facilities Projects

NTAlum09

22 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Why would they make their outdoor practice facility natural grass when 99% of college stadiums (including theirs) are field turf?

UConn, Temple, East Carolina, Central Florida, and South Florida use natural grass. it will allow SMU to practice on the surface they will be playing that week.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Hopefully this may already be in the works and will be finalized when The new AD gets on board.

I sure hope so, but RV specifically said he did not see the need for an IPF and there were higher priority items on the list. 

Maybe if we ink the deal with the Cowboys we get to use their facility while they are in Cali. 

27 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I sure hope so, but RV specifically said he did not see the need for an IPF and there were higher priority items on the list. 

Maybe if we ink the deal with the Cowboys we get to use their facility while they are in Cali. 

I would honestly throw what RV said out of the window in terms of priorities and capital projects. I'd bet we are all pleasantly surprised with the amount of progress made by the new AD in a short time; and I'd bet you that we will see an Indoor Facility announced in the near term. 

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

I would honestly throw what RV said out of the window in terms of priorities and capital projects. I'd bet we are all pleasantly surprised with the amount of progress made by the new AD in a short time; and I'd bet you that we will see an Indoor Facility announced in the near term. 

I guess what it comes down to is which is more important as dictated by the university leadership -- baseball or an IPF.

EDIT: Also, an IPF might not help us get into a better conference whereas baseball could, if that is deemed an important sport for a conference interested in North Texas. Something to keep in mind.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I guess what it comes down to is which is more important as dictated by the university leadership -- baseball or an IPF.

EDIT: Also, an IPF might not help us get into a better conference whereas baseball could, if that is deemed an important sport for a conference interested in North Texas. Something to keep in mind.

Does it have to be one or the other?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Do you think we have the donor support to work on both projects from a fundraising standpoint at the same time?

Good question.  Probably not, but we were led to believe that the donor side of baseball was all lined up prior to the accounting issues, which I assumed meant that the university side cooled off for a bit.  If we still have the donors lined up it seems like the university side should be in a much better position now to move forward.  

Regarding the IPF, it seems like a great time to start a capital campaign.  Maybe we can do a cash out refi :-) on Apogee and pull some money out to get the IPF started.  

It will be interesting to see the new AD's position on student fees.

33 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Do you think we have the donor support to work on both projects from a fundraising standpoint at the same time?

Right now no, but again we have not had any consistent winning program in our history.  I know that there are many who want to blame the fans for everything but I disagree.  Our alumni are smart, they won't blindly support a mostly losing and inconsistent program.

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Right now no, but again we have not had any consistent winning program in our history.  I know that there are many who want to blame the fans for everything but I disagree.  Our alumni are smart, they won't blindly support a mostly losing and inconsistent program.

What the alumni won't support is a program that up until now, and that's still questionable, has not made an honest and strong commitment to achieving excellence at the highest level.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Good question.  Probably not, but we were led to believe that the donor side of baseball was all lined up prior to the accounting issues, which I assumed meant that the university side cooled off for a bit.  If we still have the donors lined up it seems like the university side should be in a much better position now to move forward.  

Regarding the IPF, it seems like a great time to start a capital campaign.  Maybe we can do a cash out refi :-) on Apogee and pull some money out to get the IPF started.  

It will be interesting to see the new AD's position on student fees.

Tough to say what happens next facility wise but if you have people who are for baseball only in terms of their donation money, it will almost be like starting over from scratch for the IPF. My understanding was quite a few people were ready to write large checks to start baseball but then long term funding roadblocks got in the way (Accounting error, COA requirements, loss of TV revenue).

Again, an IPF should be a multi-purpose facility that numerous sports can use.  Adding an eight lane track shouldn't be something hard to do if the field is a typical football field in length.  This would also allow UNT to host indoor track meets on campus as opposed to some other facility.

38 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

What the alumni won't support is a program that up until now, and that's still questionable, has not made an honest and strong commitment to achieving excellence at the highest level.

What exactly is the "highest level" for North Texas?

Edited by UNTFan23

3 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

You stated it much more eloquently than me.  I think we are of the same mindset though.

18 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

funding roadblocks got in the way (Accounting error, COA requirements, loss of TV revenue).

Honest question: Does building a baseball stadium require general funds from the university? Isn't it all through Athletics $?

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

Honest question: Does building a baseball stadium require general funds from the university? Isn't it all through Athletics $?

Funding a program would come from the AD Budget although the university does supplement that budget with approved money.

• Upvote 1