DRC column: Time has arrived to take serious look at Williams

Brett Vito

One final thought: If Mac persists with sticking with Greer, then he owes the fanbase - the fanbase he wants to keep showing up at games - an explanation as to why Greer is the better option than Williams. Especially after being on the record about Williams being the more talented QB (What does that do to Greer's already shaky confidence?) the fans deserve to know why Mac is seemingly hamstringing his offense by putting out the option that nobody, seemingly, wants.

Otherwise Mac will struggle to hit #15k, let alone #30k.

Who will want to keep watching an offense ranked last in all of FBS?

• Upvote 1

I can tell you, with sitting in the student sections for both home games, everybody around me was tired of seeing Greer too. I can guarantee you, if the offense doesn't start becoming more competent, or dare I even say, exciting, then Mac will lose the support of the student body so fast. Then I would be amazed to see 5k at Apogee because Lord knows the alumni side isn't going to fill up.

• Upvote 1

I don't agree with this at all. People like to go see winning football even if you aren't slinging the ball around. Look at Wisconsin and OSU over the years. They've had more than a few ground and pound teams with success and they always oack the stands.

But if we don't get a good passing game we won't be able to run it either. And that does mean that fans won't stick it out if Greer keeps starting.

did anyone see the tweet from Derek Thompson about the qb situation. he said something along the line of: "the back up qb is always the most popular." I think the years of abuse he took form this board while he was the best qb we had has got him SOOOOO SALTY about the incumbent getting replaced. I recall him saying things to mini mac about how this was going to be his team. iDK why but that tweet really ticked me off. greer has been worse than bad. and so has mini mac. i had never seen or heard of a negative passer rating before the texas game and you wanna try to make an excuse for that crap??? that's mediocre thinking and he should know that when it is that bad, and DT was never even close to THAT bad, you have to do something different. We all know that Dajon was more talented than DT last year, but DT was the better quarterback so DT played. maybe there was animosity there cause he got pushed so hard by a freshman last year, but no need to throw shade when it becomes clear that Dajon is the best option right now DT; you already graduated.

• Upvote 5

I liked DW the first time he played his first series as a MG QB last season....the ones I sat around in that game all agreed that.......HE HAS, uh...... "IT!" We haven't had too many young

QB's of late that had, uh,............."IT." (Sorry 'bout the, uh, stuttering, uh, OK)? :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This!! Mac needs to lay off the whining about attendance and realize his boring brand of football is a huge reason for poor attendance.

There are more butts in seats when this boring brand of football wins games. Dajon could play Mac's "bore ball" too as far as I'm concerned, as long as he executes better. I'll admit that we had a lot of exciting losses in Dodge's era, but I'd still be more excited over a win than I would be over a wild game that resulted in a loss.

I had some friends using my seats but I was there. I was in em for SMU -- Where were you? I figured you left early.

I have been lucky the past two games and been quite a bit lower then my usual seats but my wife and son were still there for both games. I will be back in my usual seats for the last 3 conference games I think.

• Upvote 1

"We're trying to find the best guy at all positions right now to have the best chance at winning," UNT coach Dan McCarney said. . . . "We are going to be very thorough and put the best guys on the field to give us the best chance to win."

So, if this is true, and Dajon Williams does not get the go ahead to start, does that mean that Coach Mac and his entire coaching staff believe that our offense would be performing worse with DW as the starting qb?

"We're trying to find the best guy at all positions right now to have the best chance at winning," UNT coach Dan McCarney said. . . . "We are going to be very thorough and put the best guys on the field to give us the best chance to win."

So, if this is true, and Dajon Williams does not get the go ahead to start, does that mean that Coach Mac and his entire coaching staff believe that our offense would be performing worse with DW as the starting qb?

That would be extremely hard to do, especially at the starting QB position.