We were the Death Knell: June Jones resigns.

I've heard this when Forrest Gregg got hired. I heard the same thing when they hired Phil Bennett. At this point, I don't think it really matters anymore. They have bigger problems that money cannot fix. They have no fans, even when they have been decent. They don't play anyone their alumni want to go watch anymore, except for the old SWC teams they get in OOC. When the P5 split away, they are going to be done--I'm convinced of it. The Death Penalty at a small private school with strict admissions was just too much to overcome.

Athletic admissions have been relaxed to the NCAA minimum. That was a stipulation of his hiring in 2008. The less than desirable recruiting was his fault alone.

Athletic admissions have been relaxed to the NCAA minimum. That was a stipulation of his hiring in 2008. The less than desirable recruiting was his fault alone.

My point on this was that those strict admissions after the Death Penalty (pre JJ) were too much for a small private school to stay relevant in the college football landscape. I know they have been relaxed since 2008, but the reality, again, is that even with those relaxed standards and the success Jones enjoyed at SMU, it was never gonna really matter. SMU was gonna be a G5 school no matter how badly their alums wanted to believe that a P5 invite was going to eventually come to the Hilltop. Except for UConn and Cincy, none of the rest of the G5 stand much of a chance of gettting a P5 invite in the future. Remotely possible invites might go to a school like USF or UCF, but even that is just dependent on the Big XII expanding to some new markets and staying together as a league. To me, the Big XII is probably DOA by the time the GOR ends in 2025, if not before, so there could be more additions to the G5, like TCU, Baylor, Kansas State, and Iowa State, if not others from the league. I suspect they will get the Big East treatment, just as SMU and UH felt when they joined the league, only to see the AQ rug get pulled out from underneath them. As that G5 reality continues to set in for SMU, and not getting the benefit of playing P5 schools in OOC that their fans think they should be competing with, this program is very much ready to just die on the vine, IMO.

I've heard this when Forrest Gregg got hired. I heard the same thing when they hired Phil Bennett. At this point, I don't think it really matters anymore. They have bigger problems that money cannot fix. They have no fans, even when they have been decent. They don't play anyone their alumni want to go watch anymore, except for the old SWC teams they get in OOC. When the P5 split away, they are going to be done--I'm convinced of it. The Death Penalty at a small private school with strict admissions was just too much to overcome.

The " no fans" reference could easily apply to little "d" as well . A look at the alumni side and the wing zone was pretty pathetic on Sat. for a rival game. Yes it was hot, but do you think that matters to fans at P5 schools? Heat is just an excuse ---------just like butt holes ---- in Denton everybody has one. If we had real fans in Denton they would be there on game day!!! Kudos to the students and hoping La Tech brings a lot of folks because you can forget about the good townsfolk even hearing that there was a game until at least Sun. Turnout for Nichols with 2:30 kick off will be pitiful no matter the outcome of Thurs. night's game,

• Upvote 1

I just heard this news (family commitments consume my world), WOW!

This just makes me smile! SMU is sooo superior to UNT that they can't handle getting smoked by that "little commuter school in Denton."

I really wish I could have seen this beat-down in person but I did record the game and have yet to watch it. Knowing what I know now will make it that much more enjoyable for me.

I'm not at all concerned about who SMU may or may not bring in as their new coach. They have too many other issues. If we are going to worry about being out-recruited by another Texas school, we should focus our attention on UTSA.