Residents voice concerns over proposed convention center, hotel

Harry

A neighborhood meeting on the city’s proposed convention center woke a sleeping giant Wednesday night, as residents poured into the Denton County Courthouse on the Square to learn more.

More than 100 residents turned out for the two-hour meeting that included a question-and-answer session on the public-private partnership that would bring a 100,000-square-foot convention center and upscale, full-service hotel to Denton.

The meeting was organized by the Denton Neighborhood Alliance, a group perhaps better known for its annual city candidate forum each spring. The group organized the meeting after the Denton City Council agreed June 17 to create a tax-increment reinvestment zone to help pay for a convention center on University of North Texas land next to Apogee Stadium.

read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20140709-forum-draws-crowd.ece

Hippy

haha, js. Keep the square mom & pop, cool. Development of Denton is inevitable. Why not have North Texas be the start of it? It's a win win and whoever doesn't like it too f'n bad bc it's happening. Convention center or not, Dallas is on the verge pouring over into Denton and continuing up 35. North Texas better get in while the getting is good.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

haha, js. Keep the square mom & pop, cool. Development of Denton is inevitable. Why not have North Texas be the start of it? It's a win win and whoever doesn't like it too f'n bad bc it's happening. Convention center or not, Dallas is on the verge pouring over into Denton and continuing up 35. North Texas better get in while the getting is good.

Denton needs more strip malls. Development is inevitable!!!

YEAH! Turn us into Frisco!

Best Small Town in America be damned! 35Denton be damned!

Smh.

I'll be outta this town faster than you can count if it becomes another nameless suburb. So will most people. Why can't you just keep it in whatever suburb you live and leave Denton be? It ain't changing, stop trying to force it.

Whoa! Let's put you on simmer.

• Upvote 2

I want the convention center. It'd be great for everyone involved. I don't support the rest of this conversation.

You don't support the Hotel?

• Upvote 1

So this has gone from discussing a hotel/convention center to how that development will ruin Denton. Funny. The project is needed in Denton and it won't change a thing. Build it, but fund it correctly.

I don't think that any reasonable person is saying that utilizing the old Radisson space for a convention center and hotel would be a bad thing.

It seems from the article that most of the 100 or so people (of a town of over 100,000...so let's let sink in how significant a voice this is) were far more concerned with their tax burden (I mean, of course, it's all anyone is concerned with) and the manner in which the city is proposing funding of the project.

And from just the numbers given in the article, it seems a reasonable concern. The city needs to do a better job of driving home the benefits...especially fiscally...to the residents, lest they're only think myopically about their own tax ramifications.

The conversation devolved when ol' Ben Gooding did his best Daniel Plainview joins the Ohio National Guard interpretation and started making allusions to Denton becoming just like another one of those shitty, shitty suburbs of Dallas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I said leave the square alone, as is, but growth is going to happen. We can bitch & moan all we want but Dallas is growing quickly and it's going to pile over onto us in a matter of time. Get on 35E and head south, can't tell when one town ends and the next starts. Head north on 35E and there is nothing for about 30 miles unttil Gainesville. I think managed growth is a good thing and will only bring good things to the university.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2