Robbie Rhodes

meangreen15

If he gets booted from Baylor then I wouldn't want him here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So you wouldn't want the #8 ranked player in the state from 2013 a discipline problem and disruptive influence in the locker room who has demonstrated he can't be counted on when needed?

Fixed it for you.

If it was a one time, out of the ordinary circumstance he would not have been kicked off the team but rather just disciplined. I haven't been able to find out details, but Briles and his staff have decided this young man's downside out weighs his upside as what would be one of the most productive players on the team.

All that said, being kicked completely off a team might be enough to wake the young man up. For his sake, I hope so. I'll leave it to the coaches if they want to take the risk.

• Upvote 1

Fixed it for you.

If it was a one time, out of the ordinary circumstance he would not have been kicked off the team but rather just disciplined. I haven't been able to find out details, but Briles and his staff have decided this young man's downside out weighs his upside as what would be one of the most productive players on the team.

All that said, being kicked completely off a team might be enough to wake the young man up. For his sake, I hope so. I'll leave it to the coaches if they want to take the risk.

He was arrested for pot earlier in the off season. And then he failed a drug test afterwards. I won't argue how idiotic that was, but this is the only way we can get high quality players like this. These players don't even look our direction except when they are driving up 35 to visit OU. I would love for the coaches to bring him in.

I would argue we already have numerous players on this team with "discipline problems". Hell, we had a JUCO recruit redshirt last season because he transferred in with such poor academic standing.

Fixed it for you.

My thoughts exactly. You have your fairly obvious bad seeds like an Aaron Hernandez, and you have young people who screw up and then straighten up. I don't know enough about him to have an opinion either way, but it sure would be nice to have a potential playmaker of that caliber.

• Upvote 3

He was arrested for pot earlier in the off season. And then he failed a drug test afterwards. I won't argue how idiotic that was, but this is the only way we can get high quality players like this. These players don't even look our direction except when they are driving up 35 to visit OU. I would love for the coaches to bring him in.

I would argue we already have numerous players on this team with "discipline problems". Hell, we had a JUCO recruit redshirt last season because he transferred in with such poor academic standing.

If the coaches decide he's worth the risk, that's fine.

There is a very big difference between poor academic standing and being to stupid too not realize he was going to be drug tested a LOT after getting arrested.

Lots of kids make dumb decisions and get into trouble. I think in most cases they should get a second chance. Maybe even a third chance. But at some point the risk is just too great. Just when you are depending on a kid to fill a vital role on your team, he gets himself suspended or worse arrested. You can't give the reps he took in practice back.

The coaches are better informed about these decisions than I am.

As for this being the only way to get a "high quality player," if the kid can't stay on the field he isn't a high quality player. There is far more to being a successful player than just talent. If you doubt that, look at the pro career of Vince Young. There are dozens of college players who fail to become successful not because of a lack of talent, but for other reasons.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If the coaches decide he's worth the risk, that's fine.

There is a very big difference between poor academic standing and being to stupid to not realize he was going to be drug tested a LOT after getting arrested.

Lots of kids make dumb decisions and get into trouble. I think in most cases they should get a second chance. Maybe even a third chance. But at some point the risk is just too great. Just when you are depending on a kid to fill a vital role on your team, he gets himself suspended or worse arrested. You can't give the reps he took in practice back.

The coaches are better informed about these decisions than I am.

As for this being the only way to get a "high quality player," if the kid can't stay on the field he isn't a high quality player. There is far more to being a successful player than just talent. If you doubt that, look at the pro career of Vince Young. There are dozens of college players who fail to become successful not because of a lack of talent, but for other reasons.

Whats your level of determining successful? He won a national championship, was a runner up for the heisman, and won numerous other awards that our qbs cant even get on the preseason watch list for. In the NFL he won a rookie of the year award, he went 31-19 as a starter with poor mechanics, and then he fizzled out. If any of our 3 active NFL players who have been in the league for more than 1 year could do anything close to that we would build a damn statue in front of Apogee for them.

Regardless, this thread isn't about VInce. I just want us to make a play at Robbie.

Edited by meangreen15
  • Upvote 1

Whats your level of determining successful? He won a national championship, was a runner up for the heisman, and won numerous other awards that our qbs cant even get on the preseason watch list for. In the NFL he won a rookie of the year award, he went 31-19 as a starter with poor mechanics, and then he fizzled out. If any of our 3 active NFL players who have been in the league for more than 1 year could do anything close to that we would build a damn statue in front of Apogee for them.

Regardless, this thread isn't about VInce. I just want us to make a play at Robbie.

Vince Young is the post child for failure at the Pro level. That's not according to me but rather the Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle, ESPN News, ESPN magazine, Fox Sports and many many others. His story of failure is now used as an example for incoming NFL rookies on the need to make better decisions. He abject failure is now completely public because he was in the NFL and not shielded from publicity as college players generally are.

I was using him as an example because of the multiple news stories in the past few days about his total failure in the Pros. Total failures, despite their talent, in college don't make the news nearly as much.

NT also has the most successful defensive lineman in the history of the NFL as an alumnus. Again, that's not according to me but rather the NFL writers association, the NFL hall of fame and every sports news outlet in America. He has FIVE Superbowl rings! So, no, NT most definitely would NOT build a statue of someone who was merely rookie of the year before becoming a total failure.

And after checking with one of my Baylor sources, no, we don't want Robbie as he is very unlikely to be able to stay out of trouble long enough to be on the field.

Edited by VideoEagle

Vince Young is the post child for failure at the Pro level. That's not according to me but rather the Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle, ESPN News, ESPN magazine, Fox Sports and many many others. His story of failure is now used as an example for incoming NFL rookies on the need to make better decisions. He abject failure is now completely public because he was in the NFL and not shielded from publicity as college players generally are.

I was using him as an example because of the multiple news stories in the past few days about his total failure in the Pros. Total failures, despite their talent, in college don't make the news nearly as much.

NT also has the most successful defensive lineman in the history of the NFL as an alumnus. Again, that's not according to me but rather the NFL writers association, the NFL hall of fame and every sports news outlet in America. He has FIVE Superbowl rings! So, no, NT most definitely would NOT build a statue of someone who was merely rookie of the year before becoming a total failure.

And after checking with one of my Baylor sources, no, we don't want Robbie as he is very unlikely to be able to stay out of trouble long enough to be on the field.

I just want us to have NFL rookies that have expectations on them going into the league. Our program is at the point that if we have a player make the team as an undrafted free agent we are ecstatic. Vince actually had expectations that in the long run he was not able to live up to.

Mean Joe is one of the all time greats for sure, just keep in mind they also have 4 to our 1.

I sure your source is as credible as it gets, bud. :)

I got my MBA from Baylor and stay in contact with professors on campus.

According to Bobbie's Dad, he made an agreement with the coaches and then knowingly broke the agreement. It was not the first time he's broken the rules, though no one will tell me if it's the 3rd, 4th or 5th. The public source on that is Max Olsen at ESPN.

No Division 1 coach is going to do anything for at least a year and he's already used up his redshirt season. That's three of his five years gone. He is probably done unless some D2 school has a scholarship to burn.

According to Bobbie's Dad, he made an agreement with the coaches and then knowingly broke the agreement. It was not the first time he's broken the rules, though no one will tell me if it's the 3rd, 4th or 5th. The public source on that is Max Olsen at ESPN.

No Division 1 coach is going to do anything for at least a year and he's already used up his redshirt season. That's three of his five years gone. He is probably done unless some D2 school has a scholarship to burn.

Sorry to hear about the RS burn. I was thinking 3 years, which certainly would make a difference. Sure hate to see talent wasted, but unfortunately that is a daily occurrence.

He was a true freshman last year so you might want to recheck that source. The original article I posted said it was his 2nd failed drug test. So if you include the arrest (that he was cleared from) that would add up to 3.

All I keep trying to say is bring him in, let him know this is his last chance, and go from there. If he messes up then you just wash your hands clean of him and move on. But, if he could make it work here the potential would be huge.

I just want us to have NFL rookies that have expectations on them going into the league. Our program is at the point that if we have a player make the team as an undrafted free agent we are ecstatic. Vince actually had expectations that in the long run he was not able to live up to.

Mean Joe is one of the all time greats for sure, just keep in mind they also have 4 to our 1.

And you want this by any means necessary? the guy has f'ed up 3-4 times in his first year!!! his first year!

Edited by Green Crazy

And you want this by any means necessary? the guy has f'ed up 3-4 times in his first year!!! his first year!

I have the win now at all costs (as long as it doesn't get us on probation) mentality. This program is at a crossroads. We need to win now to prove that magical 2013 season wasn't a fluke. If we have a couple poor seasons I'm afraid we'll revert back to the UNT of the mid-to-late 2000's.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have the win now at all costs (as long as it doesn't get us on probation) mentality. This program is at a crossroads. We need to win now to prove that magical 2013 season wasn't a fluke. If we have a couple poor seasons I'm afraid we'll revert back to the UNT of the mid-to-late 2000's.

I am all about winning, but this guy could be a locker room cancer that has a negative impact on the team despite his talent. I leave this in the hands of the coaching staff to look at the dynamics involved and see what they think can be done. That is, if he is even interested in coming here. If it were strictly up to me, he would come nowhere near my locker room. Either way, he would not contribute at all this season.

• Upvote 1

He was a true freshman last season. Not sure why VideoEagle is saying that he already used his RS

Instead of looking at the actual roster, I just did a google search for his name and "redshirt." The summary made it look like he'd redshirted, but it turned out another receiver on the same page had. Read the page, not the summary! I was also just corrected by a friend at Baylor.

On Baylorfans.com, they are pointing out his own dad is questioning his ability to stay out of trouble. There is at least one more incident besides the three that are in the papers, possibly more.

Every rep you give this kid means less reps to develop someone else. Can you count on him to not screw up again because if he does you then have to depend on someone who did not get the practice time and coaching that was spent on the screw up.

Yes, work to win now. But work SMART to win now!

• Upvote 2