Dave Campbell’s Texas Football out — let’s talk expectations

Harry

Dave Campbell’s Texas Football is out again.

I received an advance copy since I wrote for the magazine again this year.

Before we get to our overarching question of the day, a few highlights:

– UNT came in at No. 9 in the state among the 12 FBS schools in the magazine’s power poll. The Mean Green ranks ahead of SMU, which checked in at No. 11.

– Marshall is the consensus pick to win C-USA in the writer’s poll.

– Rice was the magazine’s pick to win C-USA’s West Division with UTSA coming in second and UNT third.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/06/dave-cambells-texas-football-out-lets-talk-expectations.html/

Before I talk expectations I'd like clarification on a part of Vito's article.

He makes no mention of Fonzale Davis on the recruiting page. Was this an oversight or does he have academic problems? I believe that he was one that signed with Tyler JC.

I didn't purchase DCTF but I was perusing it earlier today and I don't recall seeing or not seeing Fonzale's name on our list of signees. I didn't really pay it any attention.

However, the article part did mention O'Keeron Rutherford coming in. Rutherford and Davis both double signed with Kilgore. So at least no exclusion of Rutherford.

Edited by BillySee58

I'm thinking 8-4 for us but 7-5 is a real possibility.

As to SMU, our player losses are very similar except for the DL. Of course, since they play a 3-4 it's a little more difficult to compare. But, I think we beat them because they will have to learn a new system offensively and we have a very good record at Apogee.

My head says that we lose to Texas, Indiana, Rice and UTSA. My heart says that everyone of those is winnable (with the possible exception of Texas). We have one of the easier strength of schedule in the country.

I don't see much of a dropoff in talent but I certainly do in experience and leadership. I believe that the coaching staff has been improved and will make them a little better and more focused than last year's staff. All we can do is wait and see but I like the possibilities of this squad.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

Buyers might be the best open field tackler I've ever seen. Any attention he gets is well deserved.

I heard from a very reliable source that Buyers could have played a lot more the year before, but he had issues with his tackling and he worked on it in the spring of 2013. Obviously the issues he had are behind him.

It does bother me that the coaches know that there is better raw talent available, but will stick with the starter/player that has better technique and knowledge. At some point you have to get guys some experience and see what they can do. And don't twist this as if I am saying put an athletic dummy out there...but don't sit a player because of one technique or flaw. I'm sure there are some ways or situations to work guys in and get their experience and confidence up. It should not be a "know everything first" then you can play attitude.

Buyers was pushing for the starting spot in spring 2013 and before the season. He was just waiting for his opportunity. I'm glad the coaches finally pulled the trigger in the Ball state game, but how much better could we have been had the decision been made earlier? He (and jones) could have made a big difference if he started Ohio.

Who knows if there's more situations out there like buyers. J Marshall comes to mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I heard from a very reliable source that Buyers could have played a lot more the year before, but he had issues with his tackling and he worked on it in the spring of 2013. Obviously the issues he had are behind him.

It does bother me that the coaches know that there is better raw talent available, but will stick with the starter/player that has better technique and knowledge. At some point you have to get guys some experience and see what they can do. And don't twist this as if I am saying put an athletic dummy out there...but don't sit a player because of one technique or flaw. I'm sure there are some ways or situations to work guys in and get their experience and confidence up. It should not be a "know everything first" then you can play attitude.

Buyers was pushing for the starting spot in spring 2013 and before the season. He was just waiting for his opportunity. I'm glad the coaches finally pulled the trigger in the Ball state game, but how much better could we have been had the decision been made earlier? He (and jones) could have made a big difference if he started Ohio.

Who knows if there's more situations out there like buyers. J Marshall comes to mind.

I completely agree.

I also think people should take into consideration that our team could be not as good as last year's and still have a similar record or even better. I don't care if I sound like I'm drinking the green kool aid, but we were better than our record last year. We were better than that Ohio team, and the rest of the year proved that, and Tulane as well. Then there's the UTSA game.

If we can limit those games where we come out incredibly slow, and turn some of those 1-score games the other way, we can easily be 8-4 or better with this schedule.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

The top 3 teams in the West all lost their starting QBs. That could throw a little extra volatility in the mix.

I'm thinking UNT goes down to San Antonio with revenge on the mind. I'll take a W there for now. But, just like last year when we lost to them when we weren't expected to, we may have another game we drop that we're expected to win (looking at the FAU game), I just hope it's not the SMU game. So for me, I'll take 8-4 and an invite to the NM Bowl (Rice wins West). Looking for a rematch with COSt.

• Upvote 1

I completely agree.

I also think people should take into consideration that our team could be not as good as last year's and still have a similar record or even better. I don't care if I sound like I'm drinking the green kool aid, but we were better than our record last year. We were better than that Ohio team, and the rest of the year proved that, and Tulane as well. Then there's the UTSA game.

If we can limit those games where we come out incredibly slow, and turn some of those 1-score games the other way, we can easily be 8-4 or better with this schedule.

I will have some of that green kool aid too. Seems like all the publications are drinking green kool aid too. Green kool aid tastes better than eating crow. For some, it will be two years in a row.

We should be favored in 8 games. I can see us losing one we are supposed to win, and pulling out one we shouldn't. I'm expecting 8-4. The schedule is a major reason for me. I give our backups from a winning team, just as good as shot as I would give returning starters from a horrible team that won 4 games or less.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1

Different coaches this year in the defensive backfield. One has coached in the pros, the other played in the pros. I'm hoping that we can see more ballhawking (read interceptions and PBU) this year. I agree about Buyers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Different coaches this year in the defensive backfield. One has coached in the pros, the other played in the pros. I'm hoping that we can see more ballhawking (read interceptions and PBU) this year. I agree about Buyers.

Still amazes me that in this day and age players like Buyers and Kirby can fall through the cracks and have to walk on at a FBS program.

Still amazes me that in this day and age players like Buyers and Kirby can fall through the cracks and have to walk on at a FBS program.

Agreed. Frankly the walkon program has helped offset some challenges in the recruiting efforts under Mac. Getting Kirby, Macek, Sarge and players of that caliber as walk-ons is a big boost and helps hide some errors in the Scholarship area. The good news is we seems to be doing well in scholarship recruiting now that we have a good season and bowl win. If we could ever put both the walk on and scholarship recruiting together in a good place as well as land some impact transfers things could get really fun around here.