USA College Football Countdown: Nice to wait

Harry

What bodybag game is Marshall playing next year? Southern Miss? (their game with MS State is a home-and-home). Old Dominion? (NC State is a home-and-home).

Yes, we do it every year; but there are several peer teams who don't feel they have that obligation.

Those teams just have special circumstances that allow them to schedule those games that poor ole UNT just doesn't have.

Don't believe me? Just ask the AD.

Those teams just have special circumstances that allow them to schedule those games that poor ole UNT just doesn't have.

Don't believe me? Just ask the AD.

I also follow Houston and the scheduling is an issue with the fans here too. Not as bad as UNT, but they want better opponents. UH used to play the bodybag/money games.

Once you start winning and filling the stadium, you dont have to schedule money games.

But once you start winning, you are too dangerous to schedule. The whole reason big teans schedule you is for the easy victory.

Some teams would offer 2 for 1s with UH. And then they want to play at reliant stadium. No deal.

Question:

How do you sell playing a 1 & 1 with UNT now? Dallas exposure? Thats all I can think of.

Question:

How do you sell playing a 1 & 1 with UNT now? Dallas exposure? Thats all I can think of.

IIRC, Denton Is the second or third most productive county in the state in terms of producing successful NFL talent. That alone should be enough to get P5s clamoring at our doorstep.

But alas...

Edited by Christopher Walker

I also follow Houston and the scheduling is an issue with the fans here too. Not as bad as UNT, but they want better opponents. UH used to play the bodybag/money games.

Once you start winning and filling the stadium, you dont have to schedule money games.

But once you start winning, you are too dangerous to schedule. The whole reason big teans schedule you is for the easy victory.

Some teams would offer 2 for 1s with UH. And then they want to play at reliant stadium. No deal.

Question:

Teams like Southern Miss, Troy, ECU, and Arkansas State have been able to regularly schedule home-and-homes with P5 opponents. What do they have to offer? None of them are in as rich a recruiting area as we are. None of them has better airport access than we do. I doubt any of them provide better visiting team facilities than Apogee provides.

And these teams have all shown themselves to have the ability to beat the big boys as well.

Teams like Southern Miss, Troy, ECU, and Arkansas State have been able to regularly schedule home-and-homes with P5 opponents. What do they have to offer? None of them are in as rich a recruiting area as we are. None of them has better airport access than we do. I doubt any of them provide better visiting team facilities than Apogee provides.

And these teams have all shown themselves to have the ability to beat the big boys as well.

Nebraska - at Nebraska 2012 and 2013. 2013 was scheduled possibly for USM but moved game for $$$$. 2015 in Nebrasaka

Arkansas - at Arkansas. No return game.

Nebraska - see above

Louisville - Don't know the story on this one. Played at Louisville 2009. No future games scheduled. In AAC when played so not P5 yet. Did schedule change when Louisville changed conferences?

Virginia - 2009 at USM. 2011 at Virginia.

USCe - 1 and done at USCe

Kansas - at USM. 2009 at Kansas

Kansas - see 2010

Virginia - see 2009

Auburn - One and done. Going back to 1946 has played Auburn 22 times, all in Alabama

Excluding Louisville, over the last 6 years they have played 9 games against 6 P5 teams. Only 2 P5 teams played 1 and 1, Virginia and Kansas. Both of those teams averaged under 50k fans per game when they were playing, so those teams really don't schedule body bag money games against FBS teams. 4 games during 6 years with no scheduled return games.

Not a ringing endorsement for your point. USM is known for "Anyone Anywhere." Historically they've won some of those games, but if you don't win, they're called body bag games.

Question:

So we couldn't get them when we sucked and now can't get them because we are better?

That is a question for the AD to figure out. ADs at other institutions are getting it done. Why aren't we? That is the question.

Edited by UNT90

So we couldn't get them when we sucked and now can't get them because we are better?

That is a question for the AD to figure out. ADs at other institutions are getting it done. Why aren't we? That is the question.

I think unt could get a return game, but it would have to be at a place like the cotton bowl. I know fans wont like that idea, but its the same thing UH faced with teams wanting to play at reliant.

Another thing is passing on the 700k - 900k. Im sure that is the main reason these deals are done and UNT AD staff would rather have the money instead of hosting a team that could possibly come in and beat UNT at home.

I hope with the recent sucess, the mindset would change, but its still going to take fan support to make up for the lost money.

Arkansas already plays a game in the Metroplex every year going forward. They will be back to playing the Aggies at JerryWorld every year again for the next 10 years. Its doubtful they'd schedule a game in the Metroplex again, but if they somehow did, they'd call their SWC buddies at SMU or TCU first.

Here's the scoreboard with 84 to go:

Sun Belt 7. Teams left 4.

Mountain West 6. Teams left 6.

American 6. Teams left 6

Mid-American 6. Teams left 7.

Conference USA 6. Teams left 7

Atlantic Coast 3. Teams left 11

Big Twelve 2. Teams left 8

Pac 12 2. Teams left 10

Big Ten 2. Teams left 12

Southeastern 2. Teams left 12

There has been 1 independent with 2 left.

So far it looks like parity among the haves and also among the havenots.