New AAC now owns national title

UNT90

The AAC is in very good shape going forward. In truth I don't think Conf USA and the AAC are very close in standing right now. The AAC has a P5 tv contract with ESPN, in terms of coverage. IMO, this will be one of the greatest divides between the G5 and the AAC. North Texas needs to keep winning and raise its profile so when the next round of realignment comes, they will be ready to move out of Co f USA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We need to win. Our basketball team sucks now. Our football team had one good season and I really hope we keep winning going forward. Baseball is on the way which is great. If every team performed as well as our Soccer team we'd have no worries, however, that's hardly the case. We need to win in our conference before we worry about others.

For those still worried about how we measure up against an AAC opponent, we play SMU game two at home...

In truth I don't think Conf USA and the AAC are very close in standing right now.

The AAC is a very good basketball conference but will be getting weaker with the departure of Louisville. In terms of football AAC is not that much better than CUSA.

• Upvote 1

If SMU had won the NIT, you could've made the argument that the NIT champion was better than the NCAA Champion!! Glad we don't have to hear that from the local SWC media hacks...

I believe it was 2006 where the NIT Champ (South Carolina) swept the NCAA Champ (Florida). As I was telling Emmitt on the phone last night, there's not a ton of difference between the top 100 schools.

Edited by CMJ

The AAC is a very good basketball conference but will be getting weaker with the departure of Louisville. In terms of football AAC is not that much better than CUSA.

AAC had a top 10 team this year. Highest ranking CUSA school?

AAC had a BCS bowl win over the Big 12 champion this year.

AAC 4th place Houston beat the CUSA West champ this year as well as a team tied for 2nd in the West.

Sounds better.

AAC had a top 10 team this year. Highest ranking CUSA school?

AAC had a BCS bowl win over the Big 12 champion this year.

AAC 4th place Houston beat the CUSA West champ this year as well as a team tied for 2nd in the West.

Sounds better.

I guess we'll find out the pecking order for the "Murican" conference with the new "playoff" format. Will the ACC AAC be included or be on the outside looking in?

I had to look it up but I forgot Baylor played one of the U_F schools. Over the years I've become less and less interested in the "lesser" B©S games and really only cared about the MNC Title game. Maybe the playoff system will make things more interesting?

Who exactly did you beat from CUSA? Outside of North Texas, I don't follow (even casually) the other 20 or so Texas schools that play some form of football so I await your answer with bated breath.

• Upvote 1

In basketball the AAC would dominate CUSA as a whole. In football it would be far more competitive in comparison to basketball, but I still give the edge to the AAC. I think there is a small margin for error in football for the AAC. I think that there is a high ceiling in football for CUSA. If the good programs (Marshal, So Miss) can maintain good teams then CUSA will creep up on the AAC and maybe pass them. GMG

I guess we'll find out the pecking order for the "Murican" conference with the new "playoff" format. Will the ACC AAC be included or be on the outside looking in?

I had to look it up but I forgot Baylor played one of the U_F schools. Over the years I've become less and less interested in the "lesser" B©S games and really only cared about the MNC Title game. Maybe the playoff system will make things more interesting?

Who exactly did you beat from CUSA? Outside of North Texas, I don't follow (even casually) the other 20 or so Texas schools that play some form of football so I await your answer with bated breath.

What does the new playoff format have to do with whether CUSA or AAC has better football? The politics of athletics alignment says nothing about which conference plays better football. Using a neutral hypothetical, if every MWC team beat multiple Big 10 teams OOC with no losses, but a Big 10 team made the playoffs and no MWC team did, does that mean the Big 10 is better? No it doesn't.

And I agree with less interest in lesser BCS bowls, but that just shows your ignorance of college football to say you don't think much of AAC football, but don't even know anything about it. I assume you must not think the Big 12 is much better than CUSA either since you didn't know their champ lost to an AAC team.

Who exactly did Houston beat from CUSA? Couldn't figure it out from my statements? Does that mean you don't know much about CUSA either? You don't know who the CUSA West champ is? You don't know who UNT tied with for 2nd in the CUSA West? We beat Rice and UTSA. But your last line shows why I should ignore your opinion. You don't follow TX football outside of UNT so your opinion of AAC football, and even CUSA football, is worthless.

I don't want to come off like Cougar King, and I don't intend this towards UNT fans in general. But this poster admitted his lack of knowledge of college football outside of UNT (and I question his UNT knowledge since he didn't know the teams in UNT's conference and how they related to UNT).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In basketball the AAC would dominate CUSA as a whole. In football it would be far more competitive in comparison to basketball, but I still give the edge to the AAC. I think there is a small margin for error in football for the AAC. I think that there is a high ceiling in football for CUSA. If the good programs (Marshal, So Miss) can maintain good teams then CUSA will creep up on the AAC and maybe pass them. GMG

USM maintaing a good program? Historically they've been VERY good, but it's going to take more than maintenance to overcome their combined 1-23 over the last 2 years. Right now UNT has a much better chance of pulling CUSA closer to equal footing with AAC than USM.

• Upvote 2

I really don't see C-USA closing the gap with the American anytime soon. Especially considering the best C-USA teams continue to migrate to the American. Our answer for now is just to be the best team in the conference we're in, just like Boise has done the past 15 years or so. If we do that, other opportunities will present themselves, and we can choose to take them or reject them, just like Boise did.

• Upvote 1

What does the new playoff format have to do with whether CUSA or AAC has better football?

The best team from the "Gang of Five" gets a spot in one of the top bowls. It does matter.

I don't want to come off like Cougar King, and I don't intend this towards UNT fans in general. But this poster admitted his lack of knowledge of college football outside of UNT (and I question his UNT knowledge since he didn't know the teams in UNT's conference and how they related to UNT).

So you follow all 124 teams in D1? You know every result to every game? You know every team that had a game against a team in your conference? This is just an odd comment to make. Some people have lives that don't revolve around the results of every game played every week and committing those results to long term memory. The vast majority of posters on this board don't follow Houston. Sorry, that is just a fact. Don't expect us to know what is going on with your program.

So you follow all 124 teams in D1? You know every result to every game? You know every team that had a game against a team in your conference? This is just an odd comment to make. Some people have lives that don't revolve around the results of every game played every week and committing those results to long term memory. The vast majority of posters on this board don't follow Houston. Sorry, that is just a fact. Don't expect us to know what is going on with your program.

I don't expect anyone at UNT to follow Houston. But I posted UH beat the CUSA West champ plus a team that tied for CUSA West 2nd place. I would expect any knowledgeable UNT fan to know the champ of their division, especially since UNT beat them.

And most knowledgeable UNT fans would know who they tied with for 2nd since if they would have beat them, UNT would have won the West.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't expect anyone at UNT to follow Houston. But I posted UH beat the CUSA West champ plus a team that tied for CUSA West 2nd place. I would expect any knowledgeable UNT fan to know the champ of their division, especially since UNT beat them.

And most knowledgeable UNT fans would know who they tied with for 2nd since if they would have beat them, UNT would have won the West.

West Champ was Rice and NT tied with Tulane and UTSA for second. So by method of deduction you beat Rice and either UTSA or Tulane. I'm fairly certain you played UTSA but don't hold me to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1