Make UNT the Dallas team

UNTeagle88

Would everyone be happy if we could get 6 home games AND a State Fair game? I'm just curious, because I think both sides are right and I've said that before. Use Dallas to drag in some people who whine about driving to Denton, and once they're excited, get them back home and keep growing the Denton crowd.

By the way, meangreener, will you be my frenemy? Geez doesn't he sound almost exactly like half of the stuff I've said for years in most of his stuff? I just think he doesn't hide being mad at people as much as I used to.

Would everyone be happy if we could get 6 home games AND a State Fair game? I'm just curious, because I think both sides are right and I've said that before. Use Dallas to drag in some people who whine about driving to Denton, and once they're excited, get them back home and keep growing the Denton crowd.

By the way, meangreener, will you be my frenemy? Geez doesn't he sound almost exactly like half of the stuff I've said for years in most of his stuff? I just think he doesn't hide being mad at people as much as I used to.

You are right, JSSEMARTIN, both sides make a good point, but if we took UNT LIFER'S advice, a Dallas game wouldn't be needed.

Why the hell would you pull people OUT of Denton? The HoD crowd was because of success. The UGA game got us attention. People came to the UTEP game and I'd bet a LOT of money had the weather not been unseasonably cold, we would've outdid the UTEP attendance vs UTSA. People aren't coming to games because historically we've sucked not because they can't drive 45 minutes to Denton.

We need people IN Denton, experiencing the new campus, the new stadium, the top notch tailgating, and the best small town in America & the best college town in Texas. We need people to come early, grab lunch at RG Burgers, Crooked Crust or LSA, grab beer at Midway Mart, check out the Square, pop in some shops, walk around campus and head over to the game. We need to be working up the "college" aspect. We have a small, intimate and loud stadium on a beautiful campus in an incredible city. Re-experience UNT, not fighting off muggers at Fair Park or buying $50 parking and $10 beers at Jerry World. I'd bet a lot of the new fans that showed up at the HoD Bowl haven't been back to campus in forever. No offense to alumni as I'm starting to want to move on from the student section myself, the students are what make college games and our student turnout rivaled SEC teams vs Rice and UTEP. Go to Dallas, and it becomes UTSA. Big crowd, dead atmosphere.

Giving up home games for Dallas games would be idiotic and would kill student attendance.

I realize it's SEC, but Atlanta people all drive into Athens for Georgia. That's 45 minutes away from Atlanta. College Station with A&M. They come to experience the town and the college. We have a town and college equalled to those two (way superior to CStat) and we need to be taking advantage.

Stop with this silly Dallas talk. We don't even need to be Dallas's team. We need to be NORTH Texas's team. Sanger, Krum, Denton, Gainesville, Justin, Prosper, McKinney, Aubrey...those are the places we need to mooch off of. Way too much competition in DFW with the Dallas Brandon Weedens and Big 12 TCU. If I was in the marketing office, I'd be putting up billboards, signs all over the little towns to the North and sides of us, get the coaches doing caravans over there, getting local business interested, tons of advertising, etc. Instead of traveling 2 hours to OU, come 20 minutes to Apogee. Instead of traveling an hour and a half to TCU, come 20 minutes to Apogee.

Nobody wants to admit defeat, but the alumni from DFW will come if we win. The T-shirts will come if they care. Make them care. Keep a minimum of advertising inside the metroplex and expand to real NORTH Texas.

Tired of hearing DFW DFW DFW when there are way more than enough people ripe for the picking surrounding us that would fill a 50,000 seat Apogee.

PREACH IT BROTHER, PREACH IT!!!!! You literally hit the nail on the head. Can't even add on to it, except maybe put the ball in motion with EVERYTHING you said. GMG

Why the hell would you pull people OUT of Denton? The HoD crowd was because of success. The UGA game got us attention. People came to the UTEP game and I'd bet a LOT of money had the weather not been unseasonably cold, we would've outdid the UTEP attendance vs UTSA. People aren't coming to games because historically we've sucked not because they can't drive 45 minutes to Denton.

We need people IN Denton, experiencing the new campus, the new stadium, the top notch tailgating, and the best small town in America & the best college town in Texas. We need people to come early, grab lunch at RG Burgers, Crooked Crust or LSA, grab beer at Midway Mart, check out the Square, pop in some shops, walk around campus and head over to the game. We need to be working up the "college" aspect. We have a small, intimate and loud stadium on a beautiful campus in an incredible city. Re-experience UNT, not fighting off muggers at Fair Park or buying $50 parking and $10 beers at Jerry World. I'd bet a lot of the new fans that showed up at the HoD Bowl haven't been back to campus in forever. No offense to alumni as I'm starting to want to move on from the student section myself, the students are what make college games and our student turnout rivaled SEC teams vs Rice and UTEP. Go to Dallas, and it becomes UTSA. Big crowd, dead atmosphere.

Giving up home games for Dallas games would be idiotic and would kill student attendance.

I realize it's SEC, but Atlanta people all drive into Athens for Georgia. That's 45 minutes away from Atlanta. College Station with A&M. They come to experience the town and the college. We have a town and college equalled to those two (way superior to CStat) and we need to be taking advantage.

Stop with this silly Dallas talk. We don't even need to be Dallas's team. We need to be NORTH Texas's team. Sanger, Krum, Denton, Gainesville, Justin, Prosper, McKinney, Aubrey...those are the places we need to mooch off of. Way too much competition in DFW with the Dallas Brandon Weedens and Big 12 TCU. If I was in the marketing office, I'd be putting up billboards, signs all over the little towns to the North and sides of us, get the coaches doing caravans over there, getting local business interested, tons of advertising, etc. Instead of traveling 2 hours to OU, come 20 minutes to Apogee. Instead of traveling an hour and a half to TCU, come 20 minutes to Apogee.

Nobody wants to admit defeat, but the alumni from DFW will come if we win. The T-shirts will come if they care. Make them care. Keep a minimum of advertising inside the metroplex and expand to real NORTH Texas.

Tired of hearing DFW DFW DFW when there are way more than enough people ripe for the picking surrounding us that would fill a 50,000 seat Apogee.

36239144.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's not just coincidence that the two biggest UNT crowds ever were in Dallas not Denton! If you want to schedule a home and home with a major BCS team it has to be in Dallas. A third State Fair game in the Cotton Bowl ala La Tech/ Army last year would be a great start much better than Nichols State at Apogee. Fans need to let the AD know that we need a Dallas game to start with to get those same fans to then come to Denton. Beating SMU @ Apogee would really boost an otherwise yawnable home schedule this year.

When Willy Sutton was asked why he robbed banks, his famous reply was "Because that's where the money is".

We have to face facts folks, DFW is where our largest alumni base is and a State Fair game should draw a nice crowd and be an opportunity to boost our profile with the Dallas media as well as possibly getting local apathetic alumni interested in their university.

God bless our Denton fan base, but Denton does not support UNT in the way Lubbock supports Tech, Waco supports Baylor or Ft. Worth supports TCU. We have yet to sell out Apogee whether we are winning or losing and it just seems to make sense to bring our team, for one game, to where most of our fans are. I think it would encourage those fans to actually make a trip to Denton. We are going to have to do something. A half to two thirds full Apogee year after year is not sustainable for a serious Division One football team.

• Upvote 1

Stay away from Dallas. Make Denton the Saturday destination, not Dallas. We have a great stadium, great town, great potential atmosphere. If a Buffalo Wild Wings or a legitimate Grill/bar could buyout the Ponchos and set up shop. Having a good eating/drinking destination in walking distance would be a very good start.

I agree with this except for the BWW thing. Something unique to Denton should replace that dump. Not a large chain establishment. Preferably an establishment that John Williams is a part of in some form or fashion.

• Upvote 1

We have more alumni in DFW then any other school in the area. I would think we could be the team of the region. Gotta win a lot though (In all sports)... To make it happen. Slowly but surely. I am still impressed we can get students to come to football games. In 2001 to 2005 we were winning and turn out was horrible.

• Upvote 1

We have more alumni in DFW then any other school in the area. I would think we could be the team of the region. Gotta win a lot though (In all sports)... To make it happen. Slowly but surely. I am still impressed we can get students to come to football games. In 2001 to 2005 we were winning and turn out was horrible.

We've already lost the battle in DFW. Our alumni will come, as seen, I think we can get them interested. T-shirt fans are already sold. That's why we look elsewhere and quit trying to shoehorn ourselves into DFW. People refuse to learn this fact, but in 2014, a combination of laziness and traffic will stop people from driving to us when they can go to TCU or get free tickets to see Smut lose. We can get our alumni because they need to re-experience campus, thus my UGA example.

We're like Windows Phone. Newcomer, actually really capable and a good platform. Most people have used a Windows phone or used Windows before, but are already pot deep in iOS. Problem is, that the market is already oversaturated so it's a losing battle. So, instead, you focus on enterprise or overseas.

Students never came out in the mid 2000s because nobody cares if you beat Monroe. Now, if you beat Rice, UTEP, LATech, those are schools students want bragging rights over. No coincidence that attendance was iffy vs MTSU and Ball State (even though it was a scorcher.) ESPN putting Georgia in #UpsetAlert (they did) and beating teams people can brag against gets students involved.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Another thing, a one-third full Cotton Bowl, as was the case at the HOD, is still more impressive to a potential recruit than a half full Apogee anytime. I guarantee there are always potential recruits at the fair grounds during the fair and while some of them may not be able to make it to Denton, they can certainly afford a reasonably priced ticket to a D1 football game. It also might be a opportunity to develop a much needed rivalry with a team that's willing to meet us at the fair each year. I would think that some distant team such as UTEP, for example, might jump at the chance for an annual trip to Dallas during the fair.

I agree, when bragging rights are at stake people get far more emotionally involved. Having SMwho, Rice, and even utsa on the scheduke annually will draw people. Now we just have to beat them and stay competitive consistently. A home and home with Houston in the future would also put butts in the seats and cards swiping at local businesses. I think after Baylor falls off again they would consider a home and home with us as well. Probably not right now, they think they are taking over Texas, but after reality sets in 2 or 3 years from now Mac should try to work that out. The game with Texas this year is a win-win for us. A sense of excitement, a paycheck, and all the pressure on UT to beat us. In the future if we can stay competitive scheduling games against teams such as Indiana is a genius move. Play the P5 schools that we have a shot to win. Start beating the Indiana's, Utah's, Kentucky's, Iowa State's of the college football world people will start taking notice of that. Anyway, I'm ranting now. GMG

• Upvote 1

Another thing, a one-third full Cotton Bowl, as was the case at the HOD, is still more impressive to a potential recruit than a half full Apogee anytime. I guarantee there are always potential recruits at the fair grounds during the fair and while some of them may not be able to make it to Denton, they can certainly afford a reasonably priced ticket to a D1 football game. It also might be a opportunity to develop a much needed rivalry with a team that's willing to meet us at the fair each year. I would think that some distant team such as UTEP, for example, might jump at the chance for an annual trip to Dallas during the fair.

Not to burst your bubble, but Dallas is a terrible idea. We need to stay in Denton. Bring the fans to us. No one is really fond of south central Dallas. Market to the people that will listen and bring them to Apogee. If we start winning and don't trip up in games such as @Tulane or @Ohio as what happened last year people will come. My bet is that Apogee will see it's first sellout on September 6th and it is going to be awesome (the game must be scheduled at night though). If people want to come be a part of it then great, if DFW alum don't want to drive the "grueling" 30-45 minutes to Apogee then they can go buy a purple shirt and go watch the frogs get beat to death. Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 3

No way is a half full Cotton Bowl more impressive than a full Apogee. The UNLV side was the butt of every joke at ESPN. You're delusional.

• Upvote 2

No way is a half full Cotton Bowl more impressive than a full Apogee. The UNLV side was the butt of every joke at ESPN. You're delusional.

I said a HALF FULL Apogee and at least ESPN was AT the Cotton Bowl.
  • Upvote 1

Forgive me , but allow me just one more observation. Recall, if you will, the thirty thousand or so fans at the HOD and all those Mean Green shirts and jackets. Now picture all those fans with their green and white gear walking around, not at an empty fair grounds, but mingling about in a vast sea of hundreds of thousands fair goers from all over the state and beyond. That's the kind of natural marketing that money can't buy.

I have heard that if we build it, they will come and have been disappointed. I have heard that winning will make them come and have been disappointed. We need to think logically, and do the math on this idea, rather than emotionally. I can only surmise that there must be a kind of odd xenophobia on this board that would react in such a reactionary way to this suggestion.

Someplace like Texas State is likely jump on this opportunity and there we will be - left behind again.

Now imagine this if you will. We solidify our program as a legit CUSA team with a competitive showing in Austin. Then on September 6th imagine 30K+ dressed in green walking around the square, bombarding loop 288, and showing up in force to help beat SMU. Winning that game will just as much if not more in comparison to winning HOD.

• Downvote 1

I would pay to watch a live roundtable of everyone in this thread talking about these issues in real life. Perhaps that could be the new event to replace the FW Caravan?

• Upvote 4

Stay away from Dallas. Make Denton the Saturday destination, not Dallas. We have a great stadium, great town, great potential atmosphere. If a Buffalo Wild Wings or a legitimate Grill/bar could buyout the Ponchos and set up shop. Having a good eating/drinking destination in walking distance would be a very good start.

1. Buyout Poncho's

2. Add chain sports bar

3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Awesome. Why have I been ignoring this thread?

• Upvote 4

We would need a panel moderator... Suggestions?

So many options, but here's my roster:

First, we need to make this an event, so I'm going to say SilverEagle is in charge of the overall look and feel, but I would also like PMG to spin a few if possible. From there, I see GL2Greatness as the debate fact checker off to the side since he loves to just sort of skulk around and keep track of things.

For a moderator, I'd love to go through some of our more retired posters and grab a cameo from a Playmaker, TulsaFaninTexas or LoveMG-type to really make it special. I mean, you don't want to waste a celebrity if you're going to have a small crowd, but if we could get 80 or so commitments, I see no reason we can't make this a regular NT roundtable event. I'd also like to encourage everyone to do this for Ray - maybe a fundraiser for athlete's pets if we can do it within NCAA rules?

• Upvote 2

So many options, but here's my roster:

First, we need to make this an event, so I'm going to say SilverEagle is in charge of the overall look and feel, but I would also like PMG to spin a few if possible. From there, I see GL2Greatness as the debate fact checker off to the side since he loves to just sort of skulk around and keep track of things.

For a moderator, I'd love to go through some of our more retired posters and grab a cameo from a Playmaker, TulsaFaninTexas or LoveMG-type to really make it special. I mean, you don't want to waste a celebrity if you're going to have a small crowd, but if we could get 80 or so commitments, I see no reason we can't make this a regular NT roundtable event. I'd also like to encourage everyone to do this for Ray - maybe a fundraiser for athlete's pets if we can do it within NCAA rules?

I think we could maybe throw rogue-bot Andrew in as well. Kinda like a Deep Blue VS Gary Kasparov type thing. Obviously Andrew still has some bugs, but I think it could really keep the thing going in case the humans involved in the debate get tired head and a lull occurs.

• Upvote 1

I would pay to watch a live roundtable of everyone in this thread talking about these issues in real life. Perhaps that could be the new event to replace the FW Caravan?

The McCarney Group.

"Wrong!"

Edited by Stix
  • Upvote 2