Texas El Paso (3/2/14)

CMJ

I though Hank made a pretty telling statement before the game, basically that our lack of production from the big men has been the issue for us throughout this season. So while I. know we also need a point guard, isn't a more pressing need to get a big defender and rebounder?

So last season we didn't have enough guys that could shoot; now we added shooters but we have nothing in the paint, no rebounding etc...

I am starting to question the personnel gameplan and results. What is the game plan for recruiting? Next year you add Combs, Wesley and Ward...that isn't going to address the lack of big men and point guard that has plagued this team this year.

Harry, what really scares me is what happens when this year's juniors graduate after next season. When you look at the roster, after this year's juniors the bench is very empty. Benford's fourth year (15-16 season), assuming he gets one, looks very questionable as we have had very little success recruiting high school players and getting them to stay with the program.

• Upvote 3

This excerpt from Vito's blog tonight:

"UNT was out-rebounded 46-33. Tony Benford was not happy with his post players, who were outclassed by the guys from UTEP. Colin Voss is the best guy UNT has and finished with four points and two rebounds in 18 minutes. Add in Armani Flannigan (0 and 0 in nine minutes), Kelvin Gaines (0 and 1 in 10 minutes) and Keith Coleman (1 and 1 in 17 minutes) and UNT’s forwards combined for five points and four rebounds in a whopping 54 minutes."

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/03/unt-utep-thoughts.html/

I though Hank made a pretty telling statement before the game, basically that our lack of production from the big men has been the issue for us throughout this season. So while I. know we also need a point guard, isn't a more pressing need to get a big defender and rebounder?

So last season we didn't have enough guys that could shoot; now we added shooters but we have nothing in the paint, no rebounding etc...

I am starting to question the personnel gameplan and results. What is the game plan for recruiting? Next year you add Combs, Wesley and Ward...that isn't going to address the lack of big men (rebounding) and point guard that has plagued this team this year.

The problem is, Harry, that finding big men and defenders and rebounders is always going to be difficult for us, and we seem content to find hybrid bigs. Unfortunately, that infatuation with hoping one of the tweeners can provide defense, rebounding and offense seems to have left us without true assist or shooting guards.

You say we have added shooters, but we went 0-10 from 3pt range before Anefiok hit midway through the second today.

It seems we have a lot of 2s 3s and 4s that can play almost interchangeably (at least that's how we do)

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

"UNT was out-rebounded 46-33. Tony Benford was not happy with his post players, who were outclassed by the guys from UTEP. Colin Voss is the best guy UNT has and finished with four points and two rebounds in 18 minutes. Add in Armani Flannigan (0 and 0 in nine minutes), Kelvin Gaines (0 and 1 in 10 minutes) and Keith Coleman (1 and 1 in 17 minutes) and UNT’s forwards combined for five points and four rebounds in a whopping 54 minutes."

And all of the bigs are Benford's boys...
  • Upvote 1

I am starting to question the personnel gameplan and results. What is the game plan for recruiting? Next year you add Combs, Wesley and Ward...that isn't going to address the lack of big men (rebounding) and point guard that has plagued this team this year.

Exactly. But getting a big man this late in the process, you'd be lucky to get someone as productive as Colin Voss. Not saying that's the absolute best post we could get, but it's just hard with so many good guys off the board at this point. And that's getting a good 4 (power forward). Getting a quality center with legitimate center size would be quite the rabbit pull out of the hat. Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Holy shit, really? You honestly have to try to suck that much.

• Upvote 3

"UNT was out-rebounded 46-33. Tony Benford was not happy with his post players, who were outclassed by the guys from UTEP. Colin Voss is the best guy UNT has and finished with four points and two rebounds in 18 minutes. Add in Armani Flannigan (0 and 0 in nine minutes), Kelvin Gaines (0 and 1 in 10 minutes) and Keith Coleman (1 and 1 in 17 minutes) and UNTs forwards combined for five points and four rebounds in a whopping 54 minutes."

Wow.

Just wow.

• Upvote 1

I guess being primarily a football guy, I have a sense that Mac has a plan that he has developed over many years of coaching. He signs primarily high school prospects and he hates turnovers. He likes to run the ball and play very physical on both sides of the ball.

With Benford I don't have a sense of what he is trying to accomplish. And I realize it's difficult to compare football and basketball programs. But other than massive substitutions I don't know that after two seasons I could provide a good summary of Benford's philosophy.

I guess being primarily a football guy, I have a sense that Mac has a plan that he has developed over many years of coaching. He signs primarily high school prospects and he hates turnovers. He likes to run the ball and play very physical on both sides of the ball.

With Benford I don't have a sense of what he is trying to accomplish. And I realize it's difficult to compare football and basketball programs. But other than massive substitutions I don't know that after two seasons I could provide a good summary of Benford's philosophy.

I don't know that Benford could do this, either.

• Upvote 1