Off-season questions series No. 2 — Can UNT rebuild on its defensive l

Harry

Off-season questions series No. 2 Can UNT rebuild on its defensive line?

North Texas senior defensive end Aaron Bellazin (44) and senior defensive end Brandon McCoy chase UTEP quarterback Mack Leftwich during the Mean Green's win over the Miners last season at Apogee Stadium.

After a couple of eventful weeks off to address other issues, we are resuming our off-season questions series on the blog.

We kicked off the series not too long after the Heart of Dallas Bowl, when we examined UNTs unsettled quarterback situation in the wake of Derek Thompson finishing his highly productive career in style. Thompson was named the MVP of the bowl game.

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/02/off-season-questions-series-no-2-can-unt-rebuild-on-its-defensive-line.html/#sthash.3HFVmMLE.dpuf

Can they rebuild the defensive line? Well, they have to. So my answer to the question is yes. I would expect to see more LB blitzes, but I think with the guys returning we should be fine. The guys returning aren't slouches and it's their turn to rise to the occasion. The more I look into the D-line, the more I grow comfortable with it.

Were we not having the same discussion this time last year except one of out DT's, Abbe, was suspended, and we were not sure of his return? Plus, Boutwell was coming off injuries and our outside LB's were unproven. I trust our coaches to develop the returning players and for them to grab their opportunity and perform to their abilities like last year's group. My one concern is Wallace and his attitude problem and obvious laziness.

• Upvote 3

I have the same concerns. No matter how you look at it, some of our youngsters are going to have to develop pretty quickly or the coaches are going to have to bite the bullet and find an OL player to convert to the DL, ala Abbe.

Abbe was recruited and has been a DLineman since he came to UNT. See numerous threads/post regarding conversion of Olineman to Dlineman. BLUF - it doesn't work.

• Upvote 3

We have a good secondary, and that is the best friend a DL can have. Stopping the run is as much about technique and knowing your assignment as size and ability. Our team will be well coached and I do not expect a major drop off.

Flip your comment around.You cant guard forever in today's game. If you don't get pressure from a pass rush you will struggle no matter how good your secondary is.

• Upvote 1

Flip your comment around.You cant guard forever in today's game. If you don't get pressure from a pass rush you will struggle no matter how good your secondary is.

I don't know. Last year's DL seemed to benefit from the coverage skillsmof our DB's on many occassions.

• Upvote 2

it works both ways. If the ball is coming out in 2 seconds flat because the DBs are sitting 10 yards off the ball, Dline has no chance, not even at NFL standards. In return, Dline has to at least be able to move the QB. You don't always have to sack him or even hit him to be effective. As always, sacks are preferable though.

• Upvote 3

There were similar issues raised when we learned that Q was injured and the graduation of KC Obi. I think they were legitimate questions at the time as the questions Vito poses now are in regards to the losses on the defensive line.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/03/that-mri-for-quenton-brown-could-be-really-important-for-unt.html/

Here's the difference in my mind, every year that UNT is able to "rebuild" their defensive line and garner winning results reduces the amount of offseason concern Vito and others will have. It's sort of a boy that cried wolf scenario.

Here's what we know, the ability for a mid major to have continuity in a football program is very, very difficult. Look at Tulsa, Boise -- mid major programs that have had tremendous success -- much more and for a longer period of time than UNT has. Yet Tulsa struggled to win in C-USA last season and Boise has had a couple of down years compared to what they have seen.

So are these fears warranted? I think they are - although after the remarkable turn around of the defensive line last season, I am less inclined to step on the ledge. I think the bigger issue is quarterback and the fact we are going to roll out an unproven commodity at the most important position on the field. I also agree with some of the other posters that you cannot discount how our secondary, especially cornerback has improved so dramatically. Having both of your starting corners Kenny Buyers and James Jones returning this season will have a huge impact on the effectiveness of the defensive line.

In Coach Mac, we trust...

His specialty has always been to develop linemen--strengthen them up, coach them up, and motivate them to get better. I bet we see that trend ocntinue next year and beyond. He knows how to have the right regiment for strength and conditioning for these guys and then to select the right position coaches to teach them technique. Its why he is a true bargain for what we are getting here at UNT.

There were similar issues raised when we learned that Q was injured and the graduation of KC Obi. I think they were legitimate questions at the time as the questions Vito poses now are in regards to the losses on the defensive line.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/03/that-mri-for-quenton-brown-could-be-really-important-for-unt.html/

I also agree with some of the other posters that you cannot discount how our secondary, especially cornerback has improved so dramatically. Having both of your starting corners Kenny Buyers and James Jones returning this season will have a huge impact on the effectiveness of the defensive line.

The corners are the key to this defense. Last year and the start of this year showed if they get beat, there will be big plays. If they play solid, it is hard to score on us. we were 1-1, and headed to 1-2 until there was a halftime adjustment.

Even with Orr, Trice, Abbe, Belazin, etc. we struggled at the start of the season because of the

Corners. In comes buyers and Jones, and they helped solifify the defense. We looked like a team headed for about 6 wins, to 9 win team. Probably could have beaten Ohio, if the adjustment was made for that game.

If we played in a smash mouth league, the d line would be more of a concern.

The solid corner play allows us to cheat with our safeties against the run. If they cant cheat up, we are in trouble. As long as the d line can hold its own, we will be fine.

• Upvote 1

it works both ways. If the ball is coming out in 2 seconds flat because the DBs are sitting 10 yards off the ball, Dline has no chance, not even at NFL standards. In return, Dline has to at least be able to move the QB. You don't always have to sack him or even hit him to be effective. As always, sacks are preferable though.

Correct. It absolutely works both ways. They have to work together as well. You need good coverage and a good rush to consistently be good against the pass, including the quick passing game as you pointed out. But I do agree with Mean_Green09 that without a good pass-rush qbs will pick apart even good secondaries. But yes, it does work both ways and you need both.
  • Upvote 1

It obviously worked in Abbe's case and it is not the only example in football of a OL being converted, successfully, to a DL position.

Abbe also played Dline in high school. In the past four years at UNT, I know of two instances where it was tried. They are both still Olinemen.

Edited by DT 90

Many OL, especially 4A and below, play both ways in high school. You mean to tell me that not one of our reserve OL's or DT's can't be groomed to play DL, when it is such an obvious need? I find that hard to believe.

They may play both ways in HS, but they only play DL in college if they have a combination of the right physical attributes and the right temperament. IMHO, temperament-wise, Y'Barbo would be the only O-lineman that could possibly make the switch.

DL requires an almost completely different sets of skills than OL. Other than both are generally big, there is not as much overlap as some think. Defensive line is all about instinct, reactions and quickness. Offensive line is more about intelligence, strength and persistence.

Yes, good offensive lineman generally could be average defensive lineman, but why would any coach want to do that.

Back in the old days, the best linemen either played defense or went both ways. Now, with all the emphasis on offense in high school that is no longer true even in the small schools. So it is much more difficult to switch sides because players don't have experience playing both positions.

• Upvote 1

Many OL, especially 4A and below, play both ways in high school. You mean to tell me that not one of our reserve OL's or DT's can't be groomed to play DL, when it is such an obvious need? I find that hard to believe.

Actually its 3A and below.

The key factor is footspeed. First thing outside of frame, height and weight that college recruiters look at. If guys who play Oline in college had that quality, they wouldn't be Olinemen.

Watch high caliber college and NFL DTs and besides their size, what's the first thing that jumps out at you?

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 2

The key factor is footspeed. First thing outside of frame, height and weight that college recruiters look at. If guys who play Oline in college had that quality, they wouldn't be Olinemen.

Watch high caliber college and NFL DTs and besides their size, what's the first thing that jumps out at you?

Yep. Speed helps equalize. The offense knows what's going to happen on each play. The defense doesn't. Speed helps negate that advantage.

Well, Dan Kottman (6'1' X 245) and Mustafa Haboul (6' X 253) will be two obvious tests for this theory. They both better have a LOT of foot speed, and I hope they have a lot of great technique as well.

It also wouldn't hurt if either or both of them was the second coming of Rex Johnson.

Yep. Speed helps equalize. The offense knows what's going to happen on each play. The defense doesn't. Speed helps negate that advantage.

Abbe and Orr will be hard to replace. The Seahawks tackles did not look that big to me and they would cover sideline to sideline with their speed. I would like to see the guys around 275 if lighter move to end or bring in on passing downs.