MGB: Tuesday night recruiting notes, thoughts

Brett Vito

dang it! I was looking forward to watching X#50 in the green

someone should warn him they're trying to unionize up there

X and a revolution. Go figure.

I feel like this could be a signing day decision. Exciting and nerve racking. Good news is we already have a great class, no matter who fills the final spot/spots.

• Upvote 1

Time to back off, Mean Green Nation....Xavier knows who loves him most and we

don't need to opinionate negatively any kind of disappointment of his not

committing with us....now. In 40 years I've not seen us sign all we sought, but

haven't we all seen some of these young men make last minute decisions to go

with the Mean Green, too?

Any Texas HS recruit should enjoy this time of their lives to the fullest even if it

means taking as many official visits as offered.

Still.....have a great "coooold" time in Illinois, Xavier. :)photo-thumb-4.jpg?_r=1390766479

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Still.....have a great "coooold" time in Illinois, Xavier. :)photo-thumb-4.jpg?_r=1390766479

GMG!

Plumm, I was born and raised 90 miles east of there. The phrase I heard most often while growing up was "It's colder than a well-digger's ass!".

I got to Texas as quick as I could. GMG!

You guys are giving up too easy. We are no longer a pushover choice when a p5 school comes a knockin'. Northwestern is a great school , but we still have a good shot. X is a very,very smart kid who is just going over all his options.

This! Some players are slower to pull the trigger than others. And he hasn't even been to Northwestern yet--he may love it, he may hate it, he may say, "It's a great opportunity, just not for me." It still wouldn't shock me to see him end up at UH or UNT. Much preferably the latter.

• Upvote 1

I think that North Texas is still in the race for Xavier. Northwestern is a fine academic institution (as is North Texas), but NW is a subpar team in a conference that is regressing rather than progressing. I think Xavier will honestly weigh his options and will put legitimate thought into his decision rather than making a decisions due to P5 status alone. He's smarter than that. Nevertheless, if he comes here fantastic. If he doesn't come here than quite frankly the H with him. If a player doesn't want to be here, I don't want him here. GMG

My wife and I have lived in Chicago twice before and our daughter attended Northwestern so we are familiar with the school and the area.

In Northwestern's favor it is a beautiful campus nestled along Lake Michigan and only 12 miles to downtown Chicago with excellent public transportation. Chicago is a fun city to live in the late spring, summer and early fall. The Big Ten is an elite conference. Like NorthTexan95 said it is a great school to get a degree from. Most all conference road games would be at or near sellout levels.

A huge advantage in North Texas' favor is LOCATION! For my wife and I having a son play for the Mean Green and only 20 miles from our home allowed us to attend a very high number of practices, scrimmages, games and athletic department events over the five years he was on the team. The closest game to Cedar Hill for Northwestern in 2014 is Iowa City, IA which is 875 miles from Cedar Hill. In 2015 the closest game is in Lincoln, NE at 650 miles away. It is 950 miles away to go to the home games in Evanston and Chicago/Evanston is an expensive city to visit. Another obvious advantage is the weather. It is so much easier to get around town and do activities in 100 degrees then it is 20 degrees/snow/ice. Also historically the Big Ten has huge Offensive Lineman so therefore Xavier will get that to deal with most weeks compared to a majority of the competition in the Conference USA. Northwestern suffers a little of the same fate that UNT does being near a big city. The Cubs, Bears, Sox, Hawks, Bulls and even the Illini get much more attention from the local media and the public than NU.

GMG!

• Upvote 2

I hope we're able to win recruiting war for X. Washington. We all know how good UNT/NTSU was to us because we attended the University. I only use NTSU because many of us went to school when our univerisity was named NTSU. Mr. Washington has to make his own life decision and I hope for him UNT is the place he continues his career. If not, good luck to him.

At UNT I think Mr. Washington would get some of the best football coaching in all of college football. In years past that would be a far fetched claim to make. Academicly UNT is a quality school to attend. Truth is, Mr. Washington's career and success in life will be up to him, not where his ultimately chooses to attend school. From a football standpoint the coach at UNT will have a significant impact on Mr. Washington's football career and really any of the other recruits and current players on our team.

I'd like to think our new D-line coach is scouring Texas and Florida for another quality recruit that has skills and future upside that compares to Mr. Washington so that if Mr. washington desides to attend another university that we have another quality recruit to replace him. That's really the best way for our football team to protect and do what's best in it's own interest!!!!

Go Mean Green!!!

Edited by UNTMike81

Plumm, I was born and raised 90 miles east of there. The phrase I heard most often while growing up was "It's colder than a well-digger's ass!".

I got to Texas as quick as I could. GMG!

And EagleMBA, my great-great grandfather who married into the Parker Clan of Springfield, Illinois, also got to Texas as soon as he (and they) could, too; like in 1833--the rest for them became history and honest to goodness I guess I'm just lucky to be here. :)

602172_2979350860276_1079571302_n.jpg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

And EagleMBA, my great-great grandfather who married into the Parker Clan of Springfield, Illinois, also got to Texas as soon as he (and they) could, too; like in 1833--the rest for them became history and honest to goodness I guess I'm just lucky to be here. :)

602172_2979350860276_1079571302_n.jpg

Plumm, what a great family tree and history. You must be/should be proud of that Texas heritage. :thumbsu: My roots go back that long or longer to Indiana farmers and blacksmiths. The big difference is I was the first one to have sense enough to get out of there after high school! Very glad to be here since 1963. :)

• Upvote 1

Plumm, what a great family tree and history. You must be/should be proud of that Texas heritage. :thumbsu: My roots go back that long or longer to Indiana farmers and blacksmiths. The big difference is I was the first one to have sense enough to get out of there after high school! Very glad to be here since 1963. :)

We all really hope "X" will want to stay in our much warmer climate for sure. Quite a bit of politics happening at Northwestern U. Don't know how that would take away from the main focus of winning football games.

And wow, 1963, EagleMBA? Then you were around during November 22, 1963. Bet you have some memories of that day.

Everyone should find out about their family history. Much can be learned from one's ancestors. There is more out there than most would ever dream. Of course, Ancestors.com is a wise investment for those who want to know more..

Actually, I have been on a lifelong search for a letter that Sam Houston wrote my great-great grandfather of which the content of that letter was part of a chapter in Frank X. Tolbert's book titled "An Informal History of Texas." I have been to almost every Texas State museum (like in Huntsville, Washington-On-The-Brazos, San Jacinto, etc,ect, ect) talking to every curator who'd talk to me. I have been unsuccessful thus far in finding that letter. L.T.M. Plummer kept losing his wives to early death. Over his lifetime he had 3 wives and, uh.................21 kids. Me'thinks he was a "part time" farmer? :) (His 21'st kid I actually got to know since he was in his 90's back in the mid 50's and living his last years with a great uncle down in Brazoria County).

Frank X. Tolbert was also a long time employee of the Dallas Morning News and had his very popular "Tolbert's Texas" column in that newspaper for years. He was also the originator of the Terlingua Chile Cook-Off as I recall. He died in January of 1984.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_X._Tolbert

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It appears that Northwestern lost a DB recruit a week or so ago to OU. He had been committed to them for 400+ days. So this is probably why they are now showing an interest in X.

http://northwestern.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1599520

Really hope he doesn't limit himself to being someone's contingency plan.

Hate to see him on a transfer list in a couple of years.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Some ashy weather up there in Evansville. Pack some lotion.

That's Evanston. Take the "Skokie Swift" from downtown Chicago, if I remember correctly. Or take I-90.

My HS buddy went to Northwestern . I spent a week visiting him in early January 1979 - NU was on the quarter system, and he had to start just after New Year's while I still had another 2 weeks off. There was a blizzard a couple of days before I went, and all but the last day I was there the temperatures were below zero (not the wind chill). You had to make sure every part of your body, including your face, was covered, or you'd get frostbite. The day before going home, a Saturday, it got above 10 degrees, and we ventured to downtown Chicago, where all there was to do was to watch the front-loaders scoop up snow into dump trucks, which then dumped it into the Chicago River. That, and there was a bowling alley open. Otherwise, Chicago was shut down.

Back then, the Wildcats were so bad, they were referred to as the "Mildcats". Graffitti on an Interstate sign made it say "I 90, NU 0".

Edited by Stix

And wow, 1963, EagleMBA? Then you were around during November 22, 1963. Bet you have some memories of that day.

I remember that day as if it was yesterday, Plumm. Things like where I was, what I did, people I spoke with and what I saw on television are extremely vivid. To clarify my statement, I was not in Dallas on that fateful day, however, I was in Edinburg. When I said "here" I meant the great State of Texas.