Middle Tennessee State (1/25/14)

CMJ

5+5 = 10

2+2+2+2+2 = 10

I think we've been over this before. Those numbers do not prove/disprove sub patterns. They only prove aggregate minutes played. With every game being being maxed 40 minutes barring overtime, you would expect when comparing player for player that they would come out close. Sub Patterns would have to be looked at on an individual sub event basis and then compared. Unfortunately, there isn't a source for that data to point to.

I am also happy that Benford has found a starting 5. It only took more than half a season.

The subs have decreased though. We played the first 5 minutes (I believe) without making a substitution and then Alzee came in.

• Upvote 1

I would not mind mass substitutions if we pressed all (or most of the) game. With our depth I still wonder why we don't try to do it more to be honest.

We did it this game. Not a lot but we did. We also ran a 2-3 zone and a lot of tired guard legs. In my opinion the subbing was pretty normal. The game just did not pan out. Defensively we did not have it at the end. I'm ready for the game next Saturday.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't say some...I said most/all. The press is most effective when your opponent is tired. They're more likely to get tired if you press all game long. It may not be effective for most of the game, but it usually pays dividends eventually. When Arkansas used to run their 40 Minutes of Hell, they rarely got many turnovers till the last ten minutes...and then they got tons of them.

I didn't say some...I said most/all. The press is most effective when your opponent is tired. They're more likely to get tired if you press all game long. It may not be effective for most of the game, but it usually pays dividends eventually. When Arkansas used to run their 40 Minutes of Hell, they rarely got many turnovers till the last ten minutes...and then they got tons of them.

Our guys aren't good enough defenders to press all game. We are lacking in anticipation skills and against the dribble. Teams would cut through us like a hot knife through butter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Man, keep thinking about this game and the thing I keep coming back to is Jordan Williams getting fouled and making that 3-pointer with a chance for a 4-point play at the line. One of my biggest pet peeves in basketball has always been missing the free throw on and "and 1" play.

Maybe it's because it's my pet peeve, but I've noticed many times in basketball games, particularly college games, that a missed free throw after an "and 1" sucks away the momentum that the play initially generated and is often a turning point. The play made it 31-19 but after we failed to make it 32-19 it was all MTSU from there on out, even if it had nothing to do with the failed 4-point play conversion in reality. Just a rough loss.

SN: Jordan Williams passed Alzee Williams as the team's leading scorer. Now leads the team in both scoring and rebounding.

I am amazed that anyone would blame 19 and 20 year old kids as the reasons. It's pretty documented that the team last year was beyond talented and this coaching staff did very little with them. Take away all of the high school teams that we beat this year and they have a losing record. So two years in with plenty of talent this team is still under .500 and you want the blame to fall on the 19 and 20 year old kids?

Stop calling them kids, they are men, you turn 18 you are a grown man! 18 year olds can enter the NBA. So kids play in the NBA? Really... And when did I blame the team? I just said that it did not fall together. The team is working hard. Learn to read. And the 7 people who liked it need to do the same. I never once blamed anyone on the team! However calling an 18 year old a kid is a joke, Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Man, keep thinking about this game and the thing I keep coming back to is Jordan Williams getting fouled and making that 3-pointer with a chance for a 4-point play at the line. One of my biggest pet peeves in basketball has always been missing the free throw on and "and 1" play.

Maybe it's because it's my pet peeve, but I've noticed many times in basketball games, particularly college games, that a missed free throw after an "and 1" sucks away the momentum that the play initially generated and is often a turning point. The play made it 31-19 but after we failed to make it 32-19 it was all MTSU from there on out, even if it had nothing to do with the failed 4-point play conversion in reality. Just a rough loss.

SN: Jordan Williams passed Alzee Williams as the team's leading scorer. Now leads the team in both scoring and rebounding.

Or missing the front end of a 1 and 1.

• Upvote 1

Stop calling them kids, they are men, you turn 18 you are a grown man! 18 year olds can enter the NBA. So kids play in the NBA? Really... And when did I blame the team? I just said that it did not fall together. The team is working hard. Learn to read. And the 7 people who liked it need to do the same. I never once blamed anyone on the team! However calling an 18 year old a kid is a joke,

Dude, I feel like a kid and I am 35.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Stop calling them kids, they are men, you turn 18 you are a grown man! 18 year olds can enter the NBA. So kids play in the NBA? Really... And when did I blame the team? I just said that it did not fall together. The team is working hard. Learn to read. And the 7 people who liked it need to do the same. I never once blamed anyone on the team! However calling an 18 year old a kid is a joke,

18 year olds actually can't enter the NBA. They haven't been able to since 2005. Some kids who graduate high school early/start school early are 17 when they graduate high school. Those kids might be 18 after their freshman year when they get drafted, but it's very rare.

Who do you think you are telling CMJ to grow up?

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

Your a kid until you pay your own damn bills with your own money that you have earned, so these players are in fact kids. Just bc a kid turns 18 does not constitute one to be a man. It's like the difference between dad's and fathers. Anyone can be a father granted tools are working right, it takes a man to be a dad. Same concept different scenario, kid.

Your a kid until you pay your own damn bills with your own money that you have earned, so these players are in fact kids. Just bc a kid turns 18 does not constitute one to be a man. It's like the difference between dad's and fathers. Anyone can be a father granted tools are working right, it takes a man to be a dad. Same concept different scenario, kid.

And this is what is wrong with our country.... right here.....

You can be tried as an adult (capital punishment), you can join the army and die for your country yet you are a kid... this has to be a joke. Sure everyone has growing up to do. However when you turn 18 you are classified as a man and treated as such,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

All I know is AGAIN we blow a huge opportunity to impress in front of a good crowd.

This is true. Although just from listening to people around us and seeing posts on facebook a fun time was had by a lot of people. I think the students will keep sowing up. Its the alumni who need to do the same. The players have really reached out and tried to get the students to show up. I am disappointed in the loss, but still games left to play. It was obvious weeks ago its all going to come down to the conference tournament anyway. With our depth and ability to sub in fresh legs we might have an advantage if we can go deep enough.

• Upvote 1