Middle Tennessee State (1/25/14)

CMJ

Being a man is not defined by ones age.

Well that is the point. It is debatable. I understand that some people would use maturity as a measuring tool to determine if one is a man. However other people would use age. There is a reason when kids grow up they are told to grow up and be a man. Ultamit lay they will need to be a man when they 18. I guess it could be a mix if both however 18 year olds should be men.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Interesting how many here think basketball players are kids and are not to be blamed for their actions either on or off the court, yet the same is not accorded to football players...I give you all the fan venom tossed at the HOD most valuable player, Derrick Thompson. Quite the double standard being reflected here by some.

Let the justifications begin in 4-4-3-2-1.......

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Interesting how many here think basketball players are kids and are not to be blamed for their actions either on or off the court, yet the same is not accorded to football players...I give you all the fan venom tossed at the HOD most valuable player, Derrick Thompson. Quite the double standard being reflected here by some.

Yes. That's exactly what people are saying ;).

Come on Kram! Reading comprehension! 4-4-3-2-1? What is that? The new zone defense Benford will try to run next? That makes sense though! Maybe with that zone our players (kids or adults?) will not get tired so easy! So easy to rile you up!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Yes. That's exactly what people are saying ;).

Come on Kram! Reading comprehension! 4-4-3-2-1? What is that? The new zone defense Benford will try to run next? That makes sense though! Maybe with that zone our players (kids or adults?) will not get tired so easy! So easy to rile you up!

You haven't been paying attention it seems...but, thanks for playing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Is not thinking he was that great of a quarterback really venom? I don't think Flash is too great of a basketball player if we need to even things out!

I'd say the situations are hard to compare as luckily we don't have any football coaches as god awful as Tony Benford.

• Upvote 6

I really liked CJ out of high school and he showed flashes of good play as a freshman. This team, in my opinion, desperately need a good "cat quick" point guard to get to the rack at will and can hit the open jumper. Neither CJ or Alzee have the quickness to open this offense up. In fact, it is down right boring and ineffective. Unfortunately, I don't see this guy in our recruiting class. Hate to keep going back in the past but a Weasel Johnson would do wonders for this offense and make it fun to watch. I was bored as hell.

Saturday and finally left with 6 minutes remaining in the 2nd half.

Like everyone else, shortening your bench! Do not take a guy out who is playing well, not tired. Not in foul trouble or injured. They must build chemistry together. Because there is depth, use the full court to press the ball on defense and run as often as you can on offense. Keep a big on the court to defend the basket.

Maurice Anifiac (sp) is a pleasant surprise. Do not take him out. TJ need to also stay in the game. Keep either Coleman or Gaines (when healthy) in the game at all times. Get away from that Harlem Globetrotters offence of passing the ball around the horn until the shot clocks gets down to 10 seconds. If Jordan's shot is not falling, have him to penetrated more. Continue to have Voss use his big body for screens Out front for picks and then roll to the basket.

Without quicker point guards, I don't see Jerry Coombs or Greg Wesley be effective in this offense.

Agree with Cooley about the need for quicker guard play. I saw some of that yesterday in Durant, Oklahoma while watching Clarke Overlander and the Ark Tech Wonder Boys...yes, believe it, the Wonder Boys, take on SE Oklahoma State. Both teams had really quick point quards...and what a difference they make. Was told that Div II is full of fast quick point quards that are just too small to play division 1 BB, so they end up in DII. Don't know if that's true or not, but I'll believe the source as he has seen lots of DII games in his time.

Funny...the Wonder Boys coach subbed in and out as fast or faster then Coach Benford does. Situational and match-up subs I guess....the SE Okla coach was right behind him in subbing in and out. Good game to watch...SE OK got up big right out of the box, Ark Tech came back late to take a 5 point lead, but couldn't hold the lead at the end and lost a close one late.

Did see one of the best dunks I have ever seen in BB....at any level...HS, College or pro. The Ark Tech player, absolutely crushed the ball through the net as in doing so, the player guarding him went sprawling to the floor! Absolutely a thundering dunk that was fit for ESPN highlights. That one dunk was worth the drive to Durant!

Man, this thread lost all it's fun.

Most threads on the BB board end up that way as it always comes down to a "let's blame Benford" for everything thread and if anyone dare share a different opinion, which someone certainly will, well, it's off and running.

Case in point...the crap spewed at one of our most knowledgeable and level-headed basketball posters recently. Why, because he dared to venture away from the all Benford, all hate, all the time theme.

Just is these days. Get used to it or stay with the football board. The crap spewed at DT, where it was OK to talk about what some perceived as players shortcomings, seems to have died down a bit these days. You might can enjoy yourself more these for awhile.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Most threads on the BB board end up that way as it always comes down to a "let's blame Benford" for everything thread and if anyone dare share a different opinion, which someone certainly will, well, it's off and running.

Case in point...the crap spewed at one of our most knowledgeable and level-headed basketball posters recently. Why, because he dared to venture away from the all Benford, all hate, all the time theme.

Both sides in the debate (maybe too nice of a word) participate, the Benford haters aren't alone in the crap spewing department. I'd say the Benford defenders are worse about it, though that may be colored by my position the the debate. At worse, it's even.
  • Upvote 1

Both sides in the debate (maybe too nice of a word) participate, the Benford haters aren't alone in the crap spewing department. I'd say the Benford defenders are worse about it, though that may be colored by my position the the debate. At worse, it's even.

Well, at least you are honest about it...but I think the "thread count" you note is indeed colored by your own position. Benford haters definitely have the upper hand. Don't believe me...just try to say something positive on here about the guy or something that in anyway infers that the players have some responsibility for the way they play and see where that gets you. Ha!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great to see Tony Mitchell in the building. Seems to be doing well, got a chance to chat with him. I think Stephen Howard and former Manager Matt Walsh were behind getting him up to Denton from Dallas. He seemed happy to see the students especially and said he loved the welcome he got. Hope he returns again soon (schedule permiting of course).

• Upvote 1

Benford's record speaks for itself. He's still making the same mistakes he did last year. I'm not a Benford hater. I hate the fact that NT has hired and is keeping someone who is not qualified to be a Division 1 head coach. Good coaches learn from mistakes, Benford does not. He has taken away the joy of watching or listening to a North Texas sporting event.

• Upvote 3

Agree with Cooley about the need for quicker guard play. I saw some of that yesterday in Durant, Oklahoma while watching Clarke Overlander and the Ark Tech Wonder Boys...yes, believe it, the Wonder Boys, take on SE Oklahoma State. Both teams had really quick point quards...and what a difference they make. Was told that Div II is full of fast quick point quards that are just too small to play division 1 BB, so they end up in DII. Don't know if that's true or not, but I'll believe the source as he has seen lots of DII games in his time.

Funny...the Wonder Boys coach subbed in and out as fast or faster then Coach Benford does. Situational and match-up subs I guess....the SE Okla coach was right behind him in subbing in and out. Good game to watch...SE OK got up big right out of the box, Ark Tech came back late to take a 5 point lead, but couldn't hold the lead at the end and lost a close one late.

Did see one of the best dunks I have ever seen in BB....at any level...HS, College or pro. The Ark Tech player, absolutely crushed the ball through the net as in doing so, the player guarding him went sprawling to the floor! Absolutely a thundering dunk that was fit for ESPN highlights. That one dunk was worth the drive to Durant!

Geez Kram. Comparing Coach B's substitution pattern to that of a couple of Div II coaches? That's pretty harsh.

• Upvote 3