Middle Tennessee State (1/25/14)

CMJ

Andrew doesn't know basketball...point & laugh. Benford is not missing shots, right about that. He tries to run against teams that he should play half court-drain clock-eat possessions-post up basketball. Then he will turn around the next game and game plan to play half court-drain clock-eat possessions-post up basketball against teams that have studs at the 4 & 5. He doesn't play C. Jones near enough, he over plays Alzee, and he puts way too much trust in Coleman. These are just a few of his flaws, but I could potentially write a dissertation on Benford's bad coaching. There is too much talent on this team for a 10 point loss at home on one of the best fan base turnouts of the year. RV needs to start contemplating, or at least put a propane torch under Benford's seat.

• Upvote 3

Please tell me how I know nothing about basketball... Go on...

(Obviously not everything considering we could have won... However they left it out there and it did not work on. I'm not going to try to critique any one play, player or coach. Instead I will just say we let the game get away from us and that is unfortunate. It is pathetic to keep blaming the coach every other post.)

More pathetic to slobber on the coach every other post.
  • Upvote 2

Please tell me how I know nothing about basketball... Go on...

(Obviously not everything considering we could have won... However they left it out there and it did not work on. I'm not going to try to critique any one play, player or coach. Instead I will just say we let the game get away from us and that is unfortunate. It is pathetic to keep blaming the coach every other post.)

Andrew... i dont have time to look it up... but wasn't it you about a year and a half ago that came on the boards with your rec center 'scouting report' pumping rainbows and sunshine all over the place about how the guys looked amazing on those courts and how the team was going to be greatness?

• Upvote 5

Andrew doesn't know basketball...point & laugh. Benford is not missing shots, right about that. He tries to run against teams that he should play half court-drain clock-eat possessions-post up basketball. Then he will turn around the next game and game plan to play half court-drain clock-eat possessions-post up basketball against teams that have studs at the 4 & 5. He doesn't play C. Jones near enough, he over plays Alzee, and he puts way too much trust in Coleman. These are just a few of his flaws, but I could potentially write a dissertation on Benford's bad coaching. There is too much talent on this team for a 10 point loss at home on one of the best fan base turnouts of the year. RV needs to start contemplating, or at least put a propane torch under Benford's seat.

Pleas explain how you know that this is what he should do? In general we are an up tempo offense and push almost every chance we can get. Voss was in foul trouble and Gaines was injured. Who else is going to play the 5? Alzee is one of our most conscientious players. I was disappointed with his turnovers tonight but he is consistent and deserves the play time he gets. CJ is still trying to mentally shake his injury and being it back. He needs rest.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looks like Andrew has some new buds to argue around in a circle with. Welcome to the basketball board Ben, even though I've seen you post here a few times.

Man, really thought if we could keep Shawn Jones under control then we would have a great shot. This conference, man. If our team was constantly playing to the level that it should be we would easily be a top 4 team in this conference along with USM, La Tech, and UTEP.

It's frustrating. Especially knowing that our roster has 7 guys who will be seniors next year including guys like TJ, Jordan, Voss, and Chris Jones. Next year should be one of those opportunity years and it's pretty frustrating knowing that our coach will be one who we have done nothing but under perform under his tenure. You can sort out the blame wherever you want, but we just have not been able to match our talent and our success since Benford has been here.

It's frustrating. Especially knowing that our roster has 7 guys who will be seniors next year including guys like TJ, Jordan, Voss, and Chris Jones. Next year should be one of those opportunity years and it's pretty frustrating knowing that our coach will be one who we have done nothing but under perform under his tenure. You can sort out the blame wherever you want, but we just have not been able to match our talent and our success since Benford has been here.

I was talking with my brother and bstnsportsfan about this before tonight's game and this is a concern when you look at how few sophomores and freshman are currently on the roster.

Edited by UNTFan23

Every team should push when the opportunity arises. Not the point I was trying to get across. I am not bashing anyone, player or coach. I simply want to see North Texas succeed in all facets. In this particular area (bball) Benford is sinking the ship. Unfortunately.

Last year he was in rough shape and made some unwise choices his subbing was much worse and he was in over his head (typically first year). Throw on injuries and I understand where he was. This year he has improved and the players have really rallied around him. He teaches more then just basketball. He teaches responsibility and how to be a man. That is something more important then wins. This point was reiterated to me again today. 11-9 is not a fantastic record and 2-4 in conference is rough. The conference games we have played a enforce had held his own. The 2-3 zone has been solid and because of out quick guards it is doing a decent job off trapping and shutting out the three. It falls apart when our players get tired however which is one reason for the subs. Fresh legs to chase the ball around the perimeter to shut out the three. When we have that our defense is fantastic. We just need another big man to hold his own. Voss is great but he cannot play 40 minutes at the 5. If that is accomplished we will see better results on defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do not understand why we did not play zone defense the second half? We played good zone defense the first half and second half we switch to man? What?

We ran the zone in the second half as well. It was switched up with man and we also pressed the ball a lot more which required man until the ball crosses the half court line. 2-3 zone is very hard to run successfully and shut down both the three and the paint. Fast players with fresh legs. I'm guessing the switch to man was to accommodate tired legs? Just a guess...

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

I was talking with my brother and bstnsportsfan about this before tonight's game and this is a concern when you look at how few sophomores and freshman are currently on the roster.

Not just that, but the alarmingly low rate at which Benford's recruits actually make it in. There was a time early (right about the time 2012-2013 season was about to start) when we had 5 commits. They were Arthur Casimiro, Anthony Norris, Greg Wesley, Josh Friar, and Tony Nunn.

You probably noticed that 0 of those 5 guys were on the court today. Not to mention our freshman from last year (PJ and Overlander) transferred out after one year. Could get ugly, especially if we continue to underperform on the court while those 7 current juniors are still here.

• Upvote 1

We ran the zone in the second half as well. It was switched up with man and we also pressed the ball a lot more which required man until the ball crosses the half court line. 2-3 zone is very hard to run successfully and shut down both the three and the paint. Fast players with fresh legs. I'm guessing the switch to man was to accommodate tired legs? Just a guess...

Wait...what? It's easier to play zone than man to man if you're trying to save legs.

• Upvote 5

Wesley will be a freshman next year and is already enrolled in classes. Combs will be here for sure next season. Those are two fantastic freshman. I do agree that after next season we will have some issues with experience. Only Mo will be rerunning by then. This is why success is needed this year and next.

• Upvote 1

Wait...what? It's easier to play zone than man to man if you're trying to save legs.

Not sure I understand?

2-3 zone the way we run it (like Syracuse) is very hard for the guards. They exert a lot of energy trapping in corners and spreading the court. If you want to use it to shut out the three your guards are going to be exhausted! Man is a break in that instance. only for the guards though. I know this because again this point was reiterated to me by my guest at the game.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

I got excited at the game during the first half...decent crowd...decent lead...then the 21-3 run by the muts.. I left early...7 min mark...lost the excitement...hard to stay excited with this team...be it benford or the team...

Wesley will be a freshman next year and is already enrolled in classes. Combs will be here for sure next season. Those are two fantastic freshman. I do agree that after next season we will have some issues with experience. Only Mo will be rerunning by then. This is why success is needed this year and next.

So the plan is to redshirt Wesley? That's fine but this team is senior and junior laden right now and that could come to haunt us if we don't get solid recruits that actually make it the court with the next recruiting class.

So the plan is to redshirt Wesley? That's fine but this team is senior and junior laden right now and that could come to haunt us if we don't get solid recruits that actually make it the court with the next recruiting class.

To my knowledge he will not need a red shirt but I could be wrong. That is something Cooley NT03 might be able to answer.

• Upvote 1

Not sure I understand?

2-3 zone the way we run it (like Syracuse) is very hard for the guards. They exert a lot of energy trapping in corners and spreading the court. If you want to use it to shut out the three your guards are going to be exhausted! Man is a break in that instance. only for the guards though. I know this because again this point was reiterated to me by my guest at the game.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

• Upvote 2

Not sure I understand?

please don't ever say we do anything like Syracuse ever again... ever... especially when referring to the thing they do better than anyone in the country...

I sure hope they're both here. Not to mention the two JUCO guys. We also desperately need a backup point guard. We have only Chris to play point next year and no one the year after that. TJ could maybe split time at the point with Chris, but he will be gone after next year as well.

I agree. Which is why we need to support this team this year and next. Show up to the games. The crowd was great tonight and the players were thankful. Losing is never fun but there are more games to play. Let's win!

• Upvote 1

Last year he was in rough shape and made some unwise choices his subbing was much worse and he was in over his head (typically first year). Throw on injuries and I understand where he was. This year he has improved and the players have really rallied around him. He teaches more then just basketball. He teaches responsibility and how to be a man. That is something more important then wins. This point was reiterated to me again today. 11-9 is not a fantastic record and 2-4 in conference is rough. The conference games we have played a enforce had held his own. The 2-3 zone has been solid and because of out quick guards it is doing a decent job off trapping and shutting out the three. It falls apart when our players get tired however which is one reason for the subs. Fresh legs to chase the ball around the perimeter to shut out the three. When we have that our defense is fantastic. We just need another big man to hold his own. Voss is great but he cannot play 40 minutes at the 5. If that is accomplished we will see better results on defense.

Are you saying CJ and Jordan will be better husbands and fathers?

• Upvote 5

I sure hope they're both here. Not to mention the two JUCO guys. We also desperately need a backup point guard. We have only Chris to play point next year and no one the year after that. TJ could maybe split time at the point with Chris, but he will be gone after next year as well.

I thought it was only one JUCO guy Ward. The other guard was a freshmen I thought. I could be wrong though..

• Upvote 1

They had no choice but to redshirt him. He was ruled ineligible for the year due to some sort of grades thing, from high school. It was very odd but, as Andrew said, he should be good to go by next year.