Scout.com 2014 Preseason Predictions

NT03

Ridiculous. Even taking off the green goggles and thinking objectively without my Mean Green faith in Mac's (and Wintrich's) system, I'd still say Rice would be likely to repeat as champs, with us behind them and then either La Tech or UTSA third. Everybody lost key starters, but I still think the "develop as many as possible before they see the field as backups and then get ready to start" process is what separates long-term success from "Oh crap we need a good year" single-season successes.

I also still think Rice has the edge in getting talented guys who can meet their academic standards, so I don't expect their lulls to last long as long as they have a good coaching staff. And UTSA has a lot of resources that will show everyone not to keep underestimating them, but I still think without playing DOWN to a team that's underestimated after a bye week we should be able to take them for another couple of years, especially with them losing Soza.

I also think that the panic over our replacements to this year's seniors will end up about the same as it did last year...conditioning, practice, learning from the starters to become a starter yourself, with returning starters continuing to get better at their position as well as in conditioning...yeah, I still expect a solid 8 win season next year, with or without a bowl win. So 8-5 or even another 9-4, maybe even 10-3 seems reasonable if I'm right about the replacements.

Ain't scurred.

• Upvote 1

The only problem I have with these rankings is the reasons for putting UNT third in the west.

They should be ranked third but because its biggest producers on offense and defense need to be replaced this offseason. The entire defensive line, the quarterback, the first string RB, a new kick and punt returner, the top two WRs and worst of all the heart and soul of the team on defense.

UTSA is easily the best team in the west and the Mean Green have a lot of work to do. I'm not worried about the QB position. Williams should be a great replacement for Thompson and the duo of Jimmerson and Pegram should easily provide a running game. WR and the defense is where the Mean Green faithful should have serious concerns. But if there is one thing that does not worry me at all, it's Coach McCarney. He'll get this team ready and competitive for the 2014 campaign.

• Upvote 1

The only problem I have with these rankings is the reasons for putting UNT third in the west.

They should be ranked third but because its biggest producers on offense and defense need to be replaced this offseason. The entire defensive line, the quarterback, the first string RB, a new kick and punt returner, the top two WRs and worst of all the heart and soul of the team on defense.

UTSA is easily the best team in the west and the Mean Green have a lot of work to do. I'm not worried about the QB position. Williams should be a great replacement for Thompson and the duo of Jimmerson and Pegram should easily provide a running game. WR and the defense is where the Mean Green faithful should have serious concerns. But if there is one thing that does not worry me at all, it's Coach McCarney. He'll get this team ready and competitive for the 2014 campaign.

You make some very valid points but I still think UTSA having to replace Soza is huge. You take that guy out of our game with them and we win last season. They have some players for sure but Soza was the glue. I saw their replacement QB against OSU in mop up duty and wasn't very impressed.

My 2 cents about UTSA for what it's worth...they suck. That game was the worst offensive performance of the year excluding UGAy. The play calling was mind boggling and the intensity from the players seized to exist. The crowd that day was cold and nonexistent. It was a complete meltdown by the team (particularly on offense) and the fan base. And god help me we better have a packed Apogee freaking stadium next year. Just a couple games for crying out loud. Attendance needs to significantly improve. There is momentum going into the offseason, Apogee better be packed come September. No one is EVER going to take us seriously when they are watching a half empty stadium on tv. My brother from college station sent me a text while he was watching the Ball State game asking where are the fans, and all I could sheepishly say is I have no idea. Why don't you alums come to Denton and spend your hard earned money at businesses while wearing your green. To me too many alums grab their degree and run, and never look back, ever. And this post is way too long I know, my bad. But damn, the potential at this university is so high and it's going unnoticed, even by alum. GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do agree that UTSA's D will be stout but I think losing Soza will hurt them a lot -- he was a HUGE difference maker for them and the other guy didn't impress me very much when he played late in the OSU game.

I will say this, this coming season is huge for UTSA because they graduate a TON of their team for 2015... it will be a huge rebuilding project due to their timeline of moving up. They need a bowl season in 2014.

Harry you are right about Soza being a difference maker but he had one weakness which was arm strength. Tucker Carter has a great arm and opens up the play book even more. Last year we relied on the short passing game, jet sweeps to keep our WRs involved but now we should be able to add a vertical passing game. UTSA is returning their entire WR corps, Oline and starting RB. The offense should be in good shape

UTSA will be decimated by graduations in 2015 but it’s up to the coaching staff to bring in quality JUCO talent to plug holes left by the seniors. This year is definitely the year we want to make our first bowl appearance happen

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Seeing this preview; what program (s) is coming into the C-USA West division to replace the losses of Tulsa and Tulane?

uab...well, unofficially, right now...future schedule release and random articles point to uab in the west

• Upvote 1

Seriously, Harry, sometimes I wonder about you boy. You are saying that without Soza we win. Well, do we win without Sage, Abbe, Boutwell, Orr, Bellazin, Wright, and Trice??? Because we sure as hell didn't win with them!

Stop it, man. You are making too much damn sense and we know that 'll get you negged around here.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I was going to ask about your bowl game but I see you put it in your avatar

Probably one of the dumbest attempts at talking smack considering the fact that it had nothing to do with us not being good enough. But that's UNT fan for you I guess. Can't expect logical thinking from a music school.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Of course Soza will be a huge loss. The University of Phoenix is ready to put him in their HOF already.

By this time last year the 2013 loss to the roadrunners will be like that fat chick you banged when you were drunk out of your mind. Regrettable, unfortunate...and clearly beneath you.

mj-laughing1.gif

Keep telling yourself that, bro.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Harry you are right about Soza being a difference maker but he had one weakness which was arm strength. Tucker Carter has a great arm and opens up the play book even more. Last year we relied on the short passing game, jet sweeps to keep our WRs involved but now we should be able to add a vertical passing game. UTSA is returning their entire WR corps, Oline and starting RB. The offense should be in good shape

UTSA will be decimated by graduations in 2015 but its up to the coaching staff to bring in quality JUCO talent to plug holes left by the seniors. This year is definitely the year we want to make our first bowl appearance happen

We used to scrimmage Allen every year. They still do. Carter backed up Matt Brown their junior and senior years back when I was a sophomore/junior. Carter actually led them to the state championship in 08 when Brown went down. But other than that he's pretty much been a hard-luck backup. Good to see he's getting a shot.

That being said, if he is UTSA's qb I like our chances.

We used to scrimmage Allen every year. They still do. Carter backed up Matt Brown their junior and senior years back when I was a sophomore/junior. Carter actually led them to the state championship in 08 when Brown went down. But other than that he's pretty much been a hard-luck backup. Good to see he's getting a shot.

That being said, if he is UTSA's qb I like our chances.

He played in the JUCO ranks. Won Offensive POTY in his conference and had a couple Offensive POTW honors nationally.

I'd be lying if I said the QB change doesn't concern me though. After having a dual threat guy our first three years it'll take a while to get used to a pocket passer like Carter. Like Digi said though, he does have a bigger arm than Soza so who knows maybe it's a positive bc it opens up the playbook. Well just have to see.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What a case of the P envy with this fan base. Always on our board trying to justify their existence. Much likeTech to A&M, or some of us to SMU.

We don't care about you and will never respect you. The sooner you get that through your thick Sorta Almost head and leave us be, the better.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1